Target Stands?

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
Yoffione
B Poster
B Poster

Target Stands?

Post by Yoffione »

I have gotten bit by the chicken bad! I was planning a smallbore range in my backyard. I have plenty of room, 10 acres and it is legal to shoot, but was worried about ricochets. I had elaborate plans for a large, expensive backstop when I found the air rifle option. Cool, another gun and I can shoot in my shop when it is real cold. I followed Jason's posts and advise and ordered a Marauder .177 and a set of targets. I am now setting up an air rifle range in my backyard and I want to know what folks use to stand the targets on. I have not been to a formal match yet (headed to Ft. Smith and Tulsa when they start up), smallbore or air rifle, so I have not seen anyones setup. I am planning to have a spinner at each distance also. I set my smallbore targets on a wood target stand and it did not work too hot. When I hit low it would knock the standing targets over. Any advise is appreciated.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Target Stands?

Post by Bob259 »

About anything you'd like to use. Fold up saw horses work good and can be taken down quickly and are easy to store, all the way to permanent block or wood stands.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

Some small channel iron would work well also. You are going to want to have some sort of backstop especially for the chickens as a 20 ft lb air gun sends them flying. I have a range at my house also for smallbore but for airgun I just shoot swingers and paper it is much less hassle and better feedback.
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
richard
A Poster
A Poster

Post by richard »

The previous responses are good. the rules call for pedistals made out of metal but I just use 2 x 4s or whatever I can find. Angle iron fastened to wood works well. Most ranges use whatever they can make up.
Rick
Richard
Yoffione
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Yoffione »

I was trying to over complicate things as usual. I had some railroad ties stacked behind the shop and just cut a couple in half and used those. They work just fine. Yesterday was the first time I was able to get out and shoot a few rounds (what is shooting a set of 5 chickens, pigs, turkeys and rams called?). I have not had that much fun in a long time.

I was very surprised at the accuracy of the Maurauder. I am very pleased with it. I am shooting H&N Barracuda Match 10.6gr and they group very well. The stock seemed huge to me so I took off quite a bit of the forearm, and reduced one side of the butt and took off a palm swell. I refinished and it looks great!

Thanks for the help!
quickster47
Unclassified Poster

Post by quickster47 »

One thing you might want to include in your own range is some sort of netting so that when them that critters go a flyin you can locate them after they land. This is where the netting comes in mighty handy.

Carl
Life is good and retired life is even better!
Yoffione
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Yoffione »

That is a good idea. Those chickens can be tough to find in the grass. My kids have been doing the finding so far, but the fun is wearing off. Thanks for the tip, I will look into it.
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

no pun intended but chicken wire is used at many ranges including Winnsboro and PeEll...
Yoff....you're supposed to give them a penny a chicken!
Innocent
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
Yoffione
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Yoffione »

The chicken wire is a great idea and I happen to have some laying around. As for the pennies, it is gonna cost me a lot more than that. :D