Just Shot My First Match

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
Ramslammer
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Just Shot My First Match

Post by Ramslammer »

Tim
You haven't heard me talk yet!!!
Juddy
The Chairman has spoken!!
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Tim,
Now that bloke with the accent that needed some help (for you) is the one that carries the pink range bag, so yousure it was the accent or the fact that as one of my gun show mates says..."I'm from Australia, where men are men and sheep are scared."
Actually the pink range bag looks great on Dave, so maybe it is the lack of a proper cuppa tea to help with the scotch.

Innocent
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

Mary -

I think you just identified my issue with understanding Dave's queens english; Lack of alcohol! Seems like ever since I started using more of it as fuel than drink, my ability to understand non-southern states' dialects has been affected. I do recall a time in my youth that I could match 15 or so of my canadian buddies drink for drink and still be able to understand the difference between them ordering trout and making an honest (but often dangerous) mistake of calling all US citizens yanks. Reminds me of a country song, something about seeing (or was it hearing?) the world through beer colored glasses, LOL. BTW, knowing he's such a country music fan, I did recite to the Ex-Pom the formula that David Allen Coe came up with for a successful country song last year at Raton, just so he could have a deeper appreciation for Country Music.

-Tim
OldMike
B Poster
B Poster

Post by OldMike »

Tim - thanks for the info concerning the ammo. I never knew the Winchester Wildcat stuff had such a bad reputation. I picked up a bunch from Cabela's in those wooden winchester boxes that they had. To be honest, it is the only thing I ever shot through the Henry since I didn't notice any real accuracy problems with it. Maybe I got fortunate and picked out a gun that likes cheap ammo! I won't be able to make the match in Austin this Sunday, but will think about it for future matches. I wouldn't mind doing a little traveling to different venues - I can take the wife and kids and we can make mini vacations out of it. I had heard of CTSA, and I am planning on checking that out at some point in the future as well. I have a 26" Winchester 30-30, that I still have not put sights on - so I want to take care of that before I go down.

Oh, and Ramslammer, I don't think you will be seeing me down under - since I refuse to fly! However, I'm sure my wife would love to take a trip there.

I'm just starting to see how many lever action matches there are, all over the place. This is kind of exciting, since I am a drifter by nature!

-Mike
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

Mike -

I'm not certain that the Wildcat ammo has a bad reputation, only that I was unable to get it to shoot well beyond 50yards in my guns.

Similarly, as much as I like Remington guns and their shotgun shells, I've also not found any of their 22LR ammo to shoot well (for me) either. If the Wildcats are working well in your gun then definitely keep shooting it! As an example, I've an old Remington bolt action that seems to only like the Federal Champion 510 22lr ammo and absolutely will not shoot any of the more expensive ammo worth a flip.... Wish my 77/22 had such a habit!

-Tim