Cowboy Class Silhouette

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Cowboy Class Silhouette

Post by glen ring »

I wonder how popular a Cowboy Lever Class would be shooting the full range silhouette out to 500 meters? My lever gun, iron sights, shooting out to 500 meters.....sounds like a hoot and would give me more shooting opprotunities.
Just Be Nice **==
Cimarron Red
B Poster
B Poster

Re: Cowboy Class Silhouette

Post by Cimarron Red »

Glen,

You can try it by signing up for a high power silhouette match and shooting beside the bolt gun guys.
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

glen ring wrote:I wonder how popular a Cowboy Lever Class would be shooting the full range silhouette out to 500 meters? My lever gun, iron sights, shooting out to 500 meters.....sounds like a hoot and would give me more shooting opportunities.
Glen, for one thing HP rifle is one of the least popular of the silhouette disciplines (not for me) and I think it would be frustrating as hell if you were to shoot them standing with iron sights. If you have never tried shooting HP you are in for a treat. I started shooting HP in 1976 and going to NRA sanctioned matches since 1978 so HP silhouette is my favorite of all the shooting I do, the problem is finding places and matches where to do it any more.

I have shot chickens at 200 with my lever action rifles and although challenging after I got my sight settings I hit quite a few of them. I do believe the problem at longer distances would be the ballistics of flat or round nose bullets we use but if we were allowed to use match bullets we would have a better chance of hitting more targets.

I have a friend in PA that tells me he shoots metallic silhouettes out to 500 meters with his 30-30 but I do not know the specifics of the sport or if he is using iron sights or scope on his rifle. This coming Sunday at my local range we will be having a match where military rifles with factory iron sights are going to shoot metallic silhouettes out to 500 meters but they are allowed to use any position and most of them shoot prone.
daisy
A Poster
A Poster

Post by daisy »

We shoot one once a year at Canberra after the early Australia Day shoot.
The mortar shots at rams with the 44mag are fun.

http://www.steelchickens.com/forums/vie ... f=7&t=5183
the ex pom
A Poster
A Poster

Post by the ex pom »

It's hours of fun and entertainment, we also shoot a service rifle match with old military guns and as issued sights. These are fun match's and my scores dont vary too much between lever, service and high power. This just tells me scopes are a waste of time and will never catch on. =)) :D
348 winchester,teach them chickens a lesson, when a girls gun will not do. Man up with a steel buttplate!!!!!
Ramslammer
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Ramslammer »

G'Day All
It's a fun match and I managed to steal the Ex Poms crown this year.
Juddy
The Chairman has spoken!!