Never see a Sako

This is what we do.
ter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Never see a Sako

Post by ter »

I never held a Sako 22, but I like the centerfires. I never recall seeing a 22 at a match. Why? They look good in a catalog, and I imagine they should shoot for the asking price. I was considering buying one even though I have a few Anschutz 1700s. Any experiences?
yankee
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Never see a Sako

Post by yankee »

Most of the Finfires shot very good even the heavy barrel ones. They were very nice rifles. If you want to hold part of one I have an old finfire stock somewhere. Not many of the newer models around. A couple of the change barrel ones on arms list or gunbroker.
saikatana
B Poster
B Poster

Post by saikatana »

I have a Finnfire that started as a sporter barreled model. Trigger pull was about 2 lbs. Got a chance to add a Lilja barrel for $200
used and my gunsmith came up with a Jewel Trigger for $175 that was 2 oz. I got a deal on a stock for $60.00 and had the action pillar and glass bedded.Rifle was $500 and so I started with a great rifle and slowly worked to a better rifle except it is now only useable in Standard rifle class. Extra magazines are still available and Sako is a well made rifle.I have a T 24 weaver with the 1/4 MOA adjustment in high rings. At 6' 3" tall it fits very well and loves Wolf Match ammo, I would jump on another if I could find one today. Hope you find one they are worth the money .
Saikatana
Joaquin B
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Joaquin B »

I've been shooting a Sako Finnfire in Hunter class since 2003, first using a Lilja "Sundberg taper" barrel, then adding a CG Universal 2-stage trigger and finally a Robertson/Pharr stock. I also use a Weaver T24 scope. The rifle loves most brands of good ammo. Damn thing shoots better than I can. (Keep your comments to yourself, Jerry!) :D
Joaquin B
Bigfoot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Bigfoot »

I can think of three master class shooter here in Washington that use Sako's. They are fine shooting rifles for sure.
Res ipsa loquitur
Leadlobber
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Leadlobber »

I loves my Finnfire and no its not for sale. .I'm smaller than average and it fits me great .Another nice thing is the rifle is not picky about what you feed it most ammo shoots quite well .
whale
A Poster
A Poster

Post by whale »

Bigfoot,
Were any of the Sakos the newer Quad models? My sister was pushing my nephew to get one which I would purchase. She thought the high price equated to high quality. My nephew liked the CZ 455 American with the wooden stocks. So I bought it for him. I also contacted Dan Lilja and he sent me a drop in barrel for the gun. My sister just needs to get him a nice scope. However, I think that I will be stuck getting that also.
Charles
Bigfoot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Bigfoot »

In each of the cases (heck and one more I noticed last weekend) they're all barreled actions that have been put into Wooster stocks. I was on a relay next to John C from Yakima and notices he was shooting one as well. I can't think of a stock one off the top of my head. From a cost standpoint obviously a CZ is going to be a lot less to get off the starting line and even though I'm and Annie guy I have nothing bad to say about going that route. I know Ron Dewarf down in Tucson can do a trigger job on a 452 that really levels the playing field imho.

I ended up getting my barreled action from champions choice a few years back for $900 and went the Wooster stock route and have no regrets. It's all just a matter of choice and finding what finds you or the other new shooter best.
Res ipsa loquitur
whale
A Poster
A Poster

Post by whale »

Bigfoot,
Are the Wooster stocks the same as the Pharr stocks? I told my nephew to try all the guns at the gun shop and get what he wants. If he likes shooting silhouette he can buy another gun in the future. He can see what other people are using and he can try them. Right now I told him just to enjoy himself since everyone has to start at the beginning.
Charles
whale
A Poster
A Poster

Post by whale »

Bigfoot,
By the way, what scopes are most shooters using on the line? My sister still hasn't bought my nephew a scope.
Charles
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

whale wrote:Bigfoot,
By the way, what scopes are most shooters using on the line? My sister still hasn't bought my nephew a scope.
Charles
Charles,

I wrote a dissertation on silhouette scopes a while back that I believe most people here will agree with since there are basically only 4 brands of scopes on silhouette lines across the country.

My diatribe can be found here: http://www.steelchickens.com/forums/vie ... 0&start=15

Dustin
whale
A Poster
A Poster

Post by whale »

Dustin,
Thank you for that very informative dissertation.
Charles
whale
A Poster
A Poster

Post by whale »

Dustin,
Doesn't a member on steelchickens sell scopes?
Charles
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

whale wrote:Dustin,
Doesn't a member on steelchickens sell scopes?
Charles
Chicken George used to sell scopes. Not sure if he still is.

Dustin
whale
A Poster
A Poster

Post by whale »

Dustin,
Thank you again. I will contact him. If not I will call opticsplanet.
Charles