Eley Force HV

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
chuckjordan2
A Poster
A Poster

Eley Force HV

Post by chuckjordan2 »

Ivana try dem!

42 gr, 1200 fps
http://www.eley.co.uk/en/ammunition/eley-force

Don't see them in stock anywhere.

Anyone try them or are they fresh on the shore?
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Eley Force HV

Post by OldRanger »

Hmm I like 'black oxidised case finish'. Interesting. Wonder if this would help my 22lr shooting pc lever gun.....
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
azgarand
B Poster
B Poster

Post by azgarand »

http://www.killoughshootingsports.com/i ... -40gr.html

As of 10 minutes ago they had almost 400 50 round boxes in stock. Let us know how it shoots.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

These certainly look different. (The black ones, on the left)

Curious about performance on Pistol Cal silhouette targets.
contact_force2_1.jpg
M
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
Jimcatrey
Unclassified Poster

Post by Jimcatrey »

You are interested in the same to me.
JohnHenry
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by JohnHenry »

I tried the Eley Force HV in practice at Whittington before the Lever Gun Nationals. Offhand they are very accurate. As far as knockdown power on the pistol caliber rams, they are no better than HV .22 match ammo. I guess that extra 2 grains of bullet weight doesn't matter.

Jim Luke
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

I tested this ammo in my 61 Winchester pump with a 24X Leupold. I shot several 1 1/4 in. groups at 100 meters. I bought some to replace the SK HV I use which has been discontinued. I only use HV for the Rams.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

I shot some across Oehler chronograph last summer and velocity matched advertised speed. The SD was around 10fps. It's very good stuff. Just expensive and hard to find.
- Joe
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

cslcAl wrote: I bought some to replace the SK HV I use which has been discontinued.
SK HV has been discontinued! Oh for craps sake. I just spent an afternoon getting new numbers for my 39a for that ammo. Oh well, I guess I'll have to find something else (that I can afford) when I run out of the 1500 I have.
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Old Ranger,

If you just use it for Rams it will last quite a while.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

Thats what I had been doing, but sometimes they stick up PC turkeys (It won't be a problem they say!). So I was in the process of switching to just using HV. But yeah, maybe I need to switch back without ever shooting a full match with HV. *SIGH*
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

You definitely want to use standard velocity at Chickens because of the lead spray, and I would even prohibit it at pigs just for safety sake. Turkeys and Rams if you must.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

You might try CCI Select if you are wanting more KO power with an accurate HS round. We shoot PC targets and the CCI Select takes them down every time with a hit anywhere...
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Evidently our cowboy targets and our shooters are much different than some others being discussed here.

Out of 10 to 16 shooters that we get at a normal smallbore cowboy match, there are never more than three or four that are shooting standard velocity ammo. The most common ammo being used is Federal Automatch and CCI Mini-mag solids. For the shooters that do use standard velocity ammo, it's not uncommon for them to ring a ram or two with a low body shot in each match, especially if using SK/Wolf and/or when the rails and targets are wet. This is with regulation thickness targets with regulation size feet sitting on pads on the rail the same size as the feet on the target. Rams were the last animal that I got for my smallbore cowboy grand slam due to ringing one or more a couple times using standard velocity ammo because it was just barely more accurate out of my rifle than high velocity ammo. When I realized that the cowboy targets are huge and the difference between 1.5" and 2" for 10 shots at 100 meters (tested off benchrest gear using scope) mattered less than being able to actually knock the targets off the rail reliably, I was much less frustrated. Ringing a ram almost never happens with 40gr ammo rated as 1200FPS or higher velocity. As far as I'm aware (and I've been shooting pretty much every monthly match for years and help run the match) we have never had any lead splatter from any smallbore cowboy target come back toward the firing line.

For pistol cartridge targets, there is no 22LR ammo that will take the rams reliably if the targets are of regulation thickness with regulation feet sitting completely on level pads the size of the feet. None. The best chance at it will be with hyper velocity 40gr loads like CCI Velocitor, but even those won't take the PC rams down reliably. That isn't to say that it's impossible to win a PC cowboy match using them, as I've done that occasionally in the past. It won't happen in a match with multiple highly-skilled shooters using cartridges with adequate momentum to take the targets down every time, though. It commonly takes a score of at least the mid-30s to win our local PC cowboy monthly match, so it's pretty well out of reach for someone shooting 22LR. If a 22LR lever action rifle is what you have and you want to shoot the PC match with it, then grab some hyper velocity 40-gr 22LR loads and have fun, accepting that some rams might not fall. Expecting all of the PC cowboy rams to fall no matter where you hit them with any 22LR ammo will lead to frustration. I would use the CCI Velocitors (40gr, 1435FPS) over the Eley Force HV (42gr, 1200FPS), as 200+ FPS will make more of a momentum difference on target than 2 grains of bullet weight. As a bonus, the Velocitors have been pretty accurate in all rifles that I have tried them in and they are reasonably available, at least on the scale of any 22LR ammo availability right now. Note that hyper velocity ammo isn't allowed on smallbore cowboy targets, so you couldn't use the same ammo for smallbore and PC cowboy targets if you use hyper velocity.

There isn't even 22 Mag factory ammo that will take the pistol cartridge cowboy rams down all the time, including the Federal 737 40gr FMJ ammo rated at 1800+ FPS (actually 1765 to 1785FPS in my rifle). That's a tougher, jacketed bullet than used in 22LR ammo and it's going a lot faster than a 22LR can push a 40gr bullet. It will do it most of the time, but most of the time doesn't cut it when one target can make the difference in winning the match or not. I did win our last monthly PC cowboy match shooting a 22 Magnum with a score of 38/40, but I used my "enhanced" ram loads using the 45gr Hornady FTX bullets with the powder replaced to do it.

If the Eley Force HV happens to be a lot more accurate than other high velocity ammo in your rifle, then it might be worth buying up a bunch of whatever lot number shoots well and using it. If not, then that extra 2 grains isn't really needed to knock down smallbore cowboy rams and won't make any appreciable difference when trying to knock down pistol cartridge cowboy rams.
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Jason,

Yes there can be a difference. At most club matches my SK Plus is just fine for Rams. But finishing on the Rams on the last relay of the day at the SCR nationals at the Whittington Center, I'll use SK HV every time. It gets a little windy there and the extra couple hundred fps makes a difference in my opinion.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member