Hard game this HP Advice needed on 30-06 Loads

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
daisy
A Poster
A Poster

Hard game this HP Advice needed on 30-06 Loads

Post by daisy »

I shot two matches on the weekend with my 30-06 using a load of
59 gr adi 2209 with 150gr sp at around 2930 , 2209 is equivalence to imr4350.

I knew it was going to be a long day when sighting in on rams the spotter said after a shot "you're not going to like this" and said I hit the ram about dead centre and the bugger stood. Well I hit one that stood during a match and also hit one that fell. I even turned a chicken.

This HP is a tough game I got a 5 & 6 with a Ruger m2 and Browning 5-15 scope.
I plan on getting a 7-08 at some stage. This was my 4&5 shoot.

My AR was 18 RWS Excalibre 22cal, RF was 15&13, RF Hunter was 22 both shot with CZ Silhouette

daisy
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

SOME LOAD ADVICE

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

HI DAISY, THAT 150 LOAD SOUNDS TOO POWERFUL FOR ENJOYABLE SILHOUETTE SHOOTING. CONSIDER LOADING THE 150 DOWN TO 2500 TO 2600 FPS WHILE MAINTAINING DECENT ACCURACY OF COURSE. USE THIS LOAD ONLY FOR C-P-T. AS FOR THE RAM, INCREASE YOUR BULLET WEIGHT TO 165-180 GRS.@ 2600 TO 2750 FPS. WITH GOOD HITS YOU SHOULD SEE SOME BETTER KNOCK DOWN PERFORMANCE. YOU SHOULD CERTAINLY JUMP DOWN TO THE 7-08 WHEN YOUR READY. BOB M.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Turning any animal is a function of where they were hit, not how hard they were hit. That said, the 06 is not a good choice for HP.

To take rams, you need a bullet with lots of momentum, not energy, around 35 lbs-ft/s and above should work.
Ramslammer
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Ramslammer »

G'Day Daisy
Are you coming to Monarto for the Nationals? We'll all be camping on the State range next door so if you were coming there will be plenty of room for you. Also you might be able to travel with Dave True as I don't think anyone is going with him. Us blokes will be sailing into Melbourne on the WED and driving over. Most of us are staying until the Tues morning.
Juddy
Joaquin B
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Joaquin B »

Hi, Daisy,

I will occasionally take my '06 to to the silhouette range. I load ~48.0 grains of Varget (ADI 2208 ?) for 150 grain bullets and use them for CP &T and ~50 grains of the same powder with Sierra 168 grain bullets for the rams. Easy on the shoulder and anything hit has dropped...
Joaquin B
Tasco
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Tasco »

Daisy, see you boys all give me grief for shooting with my "girls gun" (6.5BR) and you still stand Rams with your cannon.

Rob