10/22

This is what we do.
siloet56
B Poster
B Poster

10/22

Post by siloet56 »

I am wanting to build a Ruger 10 22 to shoot in the Hunter silhouette rifle class I have a strange request is there anyone out there that can build a 10/22 barrel high quality custom like a heart a shilling a Douglas etc in a factory configuration so that the rifle would qualify for a hunter rifle silhouette.
Thx for your time
Mike
h4064@yahoo.com
saikatana
B Poster
B Poster

Re: 10/22

Post by saikatana »

Might check over at RimfireCentral.com. All about the 10/22 from barrels, stocks, and DIY Trigger
Good Luck
saikatana
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Heading over to Rimfirecentral is good advice! Everything you could ever hope to know about modifying a 10/22 is over there.
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

Kidd makes exactly what you want. Its a tapered barrel, but heavy match quality. I used to have one on my 10-22 until I bought an Anschutz and parted out the 10-22.

http://www.coolguyguns.com/KIDD-22LR-Ta ... _p_77.html
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

OldRanger wrote:Kidd makes exactly what you want. Its a tapered barrel, but heavy match quality. I used to have one on my 10-22 until I bought an Anschutz and parted out the 10-22.

http://www.coolguyguns.com/KIDD-22LR-Ta ... _p_77.html
Last weekend I shot a match up in the Denver area and there was a guy with what appeared to be a complete Kidd rifle.

He makes some nice looking stuff.
Last edited by DavidABQ on Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
ShootingStar
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ShootingStar »

siloet56

Kidd makes good/great products! Many folks I know who shoot them in Standard class and also have Anschutz rifle(s) claim they (Kidd equipped 10/22s) are their MOST ACCURATE RIFLES!
I asked one Gentleman about the reliability of ejection when using Standard Velocity ammo. He said 1 or 2 failures to eject per match. But he knew what he was in for, so he just deals with it.
If you shoot quick enough (not that I'm saying you have to shoot quickly) and are aware of potential for jam/etc. and have the willingness and ability to recover from the problem - go for it.
There was also another person who said they NEVER had any feeding or ejection problems with their Kidd. So you rifle will likely be somewhere in that region, maybe a GREAT one!!!

Another barrel that is tapered to meet Hunter rules and is reputed to have outstanding accuracy is from Feddersen (1022rifle dot com).

Not trying to discourage anyone from getting and using any equipment they want - in fact I want even more people to get something/anything and come out an give our great sport a try!
Just want folks to know some of what they might encounter on the journey!
Welcome aboard. Tinkering is our other hobby!

ShootingStar
Greg
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

I'll second that observation, my wife's mostly kidd standard rifle has not failed to load or eject since putting his bolt in. Its more reliable than my Anschutz, and she shoots it better than her CZ. I think it would be even more reliable with one of his barrels, but we have not gone that far yet.

I wish we had went with the two stage trigger though, his lighter ones are some of the best triggers I have ever used. We have a single stage 1.5 lb trigger, which she also uses to hunt with.

Somebody needs to talk Tony into building one of his triggers for the CZ 452!
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

Quick answer, Clark and Kidd make accurate tapered barrels. But you may have a good barrel.

I'd begin with a factory stock and raise the comb and correct length of pull to fit you. Buy a Kidd 2-stage trigger. Install a weaver v16 or other good scope. Then stock up on a case of Wolf Match Target.

Shoot your factory barrel until you're certain its holding you back. By now you have well over $1000 sank into a 10-22. See where I'm going? You don't have the $300 barrel yet and your stock still isn't fitting just right. So let's see, another $300 for a bbl and $300 for a custom stock. Now you're near $2,000 and you may wish you had a Leupold scope.

They're fantastic rifles. The Kidd trigger is excellent. When properly tuned a 10-22 will shoot with an anschutz. And in a windy match, I may prefer a 10-22 for the auto loading speed to quickly take advantage of a break in the wind.
- Joe
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

edgehit wrote:Quick answer, Clark and Kidd make accurate tapered barrels. But you may have a good barrel.

I'd begin with a factory stock and raise the comb and correct length of pull to fit you. Buy a Kidd 2-stage trigger. Install a weaver v16 or other good scope. Then stock up on a case of Wolf Match Target.

Shoot your factory barrel until you're certain its holding you back. By now you have well over $1000 sank into a 10-22. See where I'm going? You don't have the $300 barrel yet and your stock still isn't fitting just right. So let's see, another $300 for a bbl and $300 for a custom stock. Now you're near $2,000 and you may wish you had a Leupold scope.

They're fantastic rifles. The Kidd trigger is excellent. When properly tuned a 10-22 will shoot with an anschutz. And in a windy match, I may prefer a 10-22 for the auto loading speed to quickly take advantage of a break in the wind.

There may be some wise advise here. Our barrel is one of those wavy blue Ruger heavy barrels that a friend had cut and recrowned. He shortened it to make weight for CMP but ended up going with a tapered barrel instead, so we ended up with it. It is a third of the cost of a Kidd barrel but shoots as well as any moderately priced bolt action.