Target Patterns

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
OnaginOffagin
AA Poster
AA Poster

Target Patterns

Post by OnaginOffagin »

I suffer a great disadvantage in high power rifle silhouette; there isn't a range with a hundred miles of me! I do know, however, a few hidden places where I could go zero and maybe even practice... if I had suitable targets. Circles don't get it! Does anyone know where I can get patterns of the target animals? That I could trace on butcher paper? I know I could trace around the actual targets, but the one match I can reach is always pretty busy..... I do have paper smallbore targets.... anyway I could blow those up on butcher paper taped to a wall? Some sort of projector?
"Honor, Respect, Service, Humility....." (Lt. Gen. Hal Moore 1st Bn, 7th Cavalry)
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Target Patterns

Post by OldRanger »

You could print those smallbore ones blown up on a computer. I did that for sb lever gun ones.
You know the sb ones are 1/5th scale, so print them at 500% scale for full sized ones. Or go to a copy place and have them do it.
After you print them cut them out and keep them for a pattern to trace onto your butcher paper.
Here are the rough dimensions of the targets so you'll know if you are close. These are just the body dimensions (I hung paper this size to practice).
Gallina 13.25 inches wide
11.25 tall
Javalina 22.25 inches wide
14.3 inches tall
Guaholate (thats probably spelled wrong huh?)
13 inches wide
23 inches tall
Borrego 32.5 inches wide
26.5 tall
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
OnaginOffagin
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by OnaginOffagin »

OldRanger wrote:You could print those smallbore ones blown up on a computer. I did that for sb lever gun ones.
You know the sb ones are 1/5th scale, so print them at 500% scale for full sized ones. Or go to a copy place and have them do it.
After you print them cut them out and keep them for a pattern to trace onto your butcher paper.
Here are the rough dimensions of the targets so you'll know if you are close. These are just the body dimensions (I hung paper this size to practice).
Gallina 13.25 inches wide
11.25 tall
Javalina 22.25 inches wide
14.3 inches tall
Guaholate (thats probably spelled wrong huh?)
13 inches wide
23 inches tall
Borrego 32.5 inches wide
26.5 tall
Thank you... we have a pretty good copy shop in town.... I already have paper on the sb...... I'll see how much they can blow them up. Never even thought about hanging paper that are the same dimensions... if I can't get full size copies, I'll do that....
"Honor, Respect, Service, Humility....." (Lt. Gen. Hal Moore 1st Bn, 7th Cavalry)
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Most of the target patterns that are out on the net have a "minute" scale on them. Try printing them on clear film and project them with an overhead projector on the paper you want to use with a "minute" scale drawn on it. That should give you a perfect pattern.
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

OnaginOffagin wrote:
Thank you... we have a pretty good copy shop in town.... I already have paper on the sb...... I'll see how much they can blow them up. Never even thought about hanging paper that are the same dimensions... if I can't get full size copies, I'll do that....
I printed them at home, it was just multiple pieces of regular sized paper. I'd still rather have steel, but you take what you can get.
Donreeves
Unclassified Poster

Post by Donreeves »

I have templates of the full size animals and paint them on cardboard and use that to practice with if now one is able to spot for me.
I seam to shoot on my own alot.
The club has steel but nice to know where your shot missed when you do
don
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

Same here. One day at the range they had some animals they were repairing in the shed so I put them on some cardboard and traced them. When I got home I made some templates so now I just use the templates to spray paint targets on poster board for practice.
ppkny
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

I have spray painted outlines using the actual steel targets, and scaled them off using the grid available on NRA's Web site. One pictured is a scaled off. Not perfect but good enough.

Get the shape jig saw it out on some thin plywood, making a stencil, you can spray paint a target on any old piece of cardboard in short order.

Notice the off center group. X through the pattern shows true center of impact. Adjusted the sights after this one. Hard to fine tune zeros on individual steel targets knocked over. One inch left takes the edge shots and turns them into solid hits.

Boats
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

I did something similar to what has been mentioned before but instead of using the stencil to paint a target I lay it on craft paper and cut out the animals with a razor knife. You can get more animals from one role of craft paper for what you pay for a case of paint!
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

True,

Krylon 2x Primer Paint is 4 bucks a can, it covers better than any other paint though. Buy it in quanity. We have steel hanging at all distances on our club HP and SB ranges. Sometimes I paint the critters right on the steel. Other times on the side of a cardboard box & sit it on top of the rails. Other day used Pizza box tops zip tied to the rails.

I think it's important to set the paper target just like match targets, same elevation.

Boats
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

boats wrote:I think it's important to set the paper target just like match targets, same elevation.
I agree with this for practice. So what I do is lay down a 2x4 and staple a small piece of cardboard to the 2" side. Then I tape/staple a cutout of an animal to the cardboard. You can easily see your hits and misses, and I place the 2x4 just behind our rails on the ground so I don't hit it very often. The animals end up at the same height as the real ones. Great practice (when I have time). I collect up used sheets of paper at work then print out one with all the animals on it and use it as a pattern to cut out 5 sheets of paper at a time (one with patterns and 4 blanks). Doesn't take long to get a good stack of animals.
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

Have done about the same thing 5 Chickens in a row instead of all shots on the same target. Gives,you a real good at your NPA 40 shots all on the same animal in a line. I don't shoot HP or SB silhouette anymore . Rim and PC lever only 1/2 size targets you can set 5 cardboard chickens easy Pigs Turkeys & Rams I don't often paint 5, fill whatever cardboard I can find 2 or 3 mostly. Your method ought to be easy to set full 5 line any critter.

Boats
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

NRA competitors web page have templates for the targets. You should be able to get a local welding shop to CNC cut a set.
GTS
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTS »

See attached PDF's.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GTS
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTS »

One more. Must have been too large to get them all in one post.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.