Contender hammer needed...

Smallbore, pistol cartridge, centerfire - revolvers, pistols, Contenders, etc...
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Contender hammer needed...

Post by cedestech »

Bought another Contender to build my son a .22 iron sight gun. Got a deal on it because the hammer is broken.
Easy open frame, 405XXX build range. Has the twist knob/lever on the top of the hammer for C/Saftery/R.
Apparently the spring/ball is broken that keep it in position. The Striker pins defy being driven out. Pretty sure
even though it shows the spring and ball in the schematics it isn't ment to be dissasymbled....

Anywho, I can stake it/epoxy it in C or R no worries but would rather have a new hammer, slide bar or knob.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Contender Hunter
Unclassified Poster

Re: Contender hammer needed...

Post by Contender Hunter »

Call T/C for a replacement. 1-866-730-1614
Hope this helps.
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

Thanks, done did and they sent me one right out.

:D
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

cedestech wrote:Thanks, done did and they sent me one right out.

Seriously? I tried to order one a couple years ago and they would NOT sell me one. Told me I had to return the frame "for it to be fitted".... No way i'm sending off my frame with it's 9oz trigger!

- Tim
1stlttightwad
B Poster
B Poster

Post by 1stlttightwad »

Tlee wrote:

Seriously? I tried to order one a couple years ago and they would NOT sell me one. Told me I had to return the frame "for it to be fitted".... No way i'm sending off my frame with it's 9oz trigger!

- Tim
T/C guarantees their guns for life..Several years ago (20) my wifes T/C Contender had a broken hammer spring. I called T/C and they sent two out asap at NO charge..This was for an OLD T/C with the Sterling silver Puma grip cap...Dave
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

T/C isn't T/C any more.... They are owned by S&W now and the contender is a dead platform.... I have heard stories that it is right at impossible to get any meaningful work done on them any more and there are no more Contender-smiths left/at S&W.

FWIW, you can still scavenge parts and working on your own isn't that bad once you figure out how everything works and the relationship of everything inside the frame. Actually a very robust design but everything has to be correct for it to lock up, cock and fire correctly.

:)
RBriscoe
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by RBriscoe »

Tlee wrote:

- Tim
Just send the frame in minus the trigger parts. They will install "factory parts" and return it to you. I haven't recently had work done, but they used to understand when the frame arrived minus the "critical" parts and simply install parts that complied with "company policy". When you get it back, swap out the critical parts and move on.

Rick
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

Sorry, I shoulda' deleted or edited my 3 year old post...
Found a used one a bit over a year ago.

Thanks,

- Tim