2017 Silhouette Match Schedule

This is what we do.
JohnHenry
AA Poster
AA Poster

2017 Silhouette Match Schedule

Post by JohnHenry »

At the final awards for the Lever Gun Nationals, the chairman of the silhouette committee spoke for a few minutes. The important point he made is that ALL the silhouette nationals will be held at Whittington Center from now on and they will be scheduled around August 1. I don't shoot smallbore or high power silhouette, but I thought you guys who live back East would be interested in these comments. From what I can gather, there are more shooters at the Nationals in Pa than at Whittington.

The chairman said having all the matches at Whittington is cost effective. There were a few objections at the awards ceremony, but the chairman acted like our opinions do not count. It's like the army, take it and shut up. If you want the Nationals back in PA next year, I'd advise writing the silhouette committee with your thoughts. He said they read every letter.

He also said competitor numbers in silhouette are dropping. I don't know about smallbore and high power, but we have averaged 165 shooters at the last 3 Lever Gun Nationals. Our part of the sport is alive and well. I voiced my objection to the chairman. He looked at me and made no comment. I wish the powers that be who dictate where we shoot would be active participants so they could have a feel for the shooters viewpoint. I think they turn a blind eye to what we want.

Jim Luke :?
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Re: 2017 Silhouette Match Schedule

Post by DavidABQ »

There was a rumor going around that the NRA had signed a contract to keep the Nationals there for a number of years.

I can't that I am surprised.

**==
kd5zmg
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kd5zmg »

I am not sure what to say about this, but I hope it does not hurt the sport.

This is definitely a challenging but fun sport, however, participation levels are light. The Whittington Center has nice facilities. I can not speak for the Ridgway Gun Club. I was actually thinking about going next year to PA if they had Nationals there. Now that it will be in Whittington Center next year again, my parents are actually considering coming to New Mexico to watch.

I guess we will have to see what participation levels look like. I am suspecting that there will be different competitors showing up, but who knows, it will be an odd year for the return of the NRA Silhouette Nationals at the Whittington Center.

-Mark
-Mark
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

I have to be honest here; for me having the Nationals at the Whittington Center is great!

I only live 3 hours away so you can understand why it is not a big deal for me to have them at The Whittington Center.

Unfortunately I think we will lose competitors from back east which is not good for the sport.
kd5zmg
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kd5zmg »

DavidABQ wrote:I have to be honest here; for me having the Nationals at the Whittington Center is great!

I only live 3 hours away so you can understand why it is not a big deal for me to have them at The Whittington Center.

Unfortunately I think we will lose competitors from back east which is not good for the sport.
David,

I agree with you. However, I would also say perhaps it will bring in new competitors that are not able to make it on the even years for whatever reason. I am pretty sure my father in-law is wanting to compete next year and after my wife gives birth, she is wanting to compete next year as well.

I just would have liked the opportunity to travel to Ridgway, PA to see and compete at that range. I am not complaining either. Maybe, if it is feasible Waverly can take me up there to compete... :lol:

-Mark
-Mark
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Mark,

Something to consider is maybe hitting the Colorado and Arizona State Championships to give Waverly more experience in competition at different ranges.
kd5zmg
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kd5zmg »

DavidABQ wrote:Mark,

Something to consider is maybe hitting the Colorado and Arizona State Championships to give Waverly more experience in competition at different ranges.
Yes sir. That is on the Horizon, in the near future... after the kid is born I suspect.

-Mark
-Mark
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

only 3 1/2 hours from Raton to the Aurora Gun Club.
kd5zmg
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kd5zmg »

Aurora is close to Parker, CO. We have friends there, and the 4th Sunday of the month is doable.

-Mark
-Mark
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

My guess is its all about money. The NRA owns (or at least has a stake in) whittington. They make a profit from the range side and the competition side if its held there. Damn shame, I was looking forward to PA. And Most of the east coasters won't ever come to whittington so overall numbers will just continue to slide. Someone needs to get the chairman (Barry? Larry? something like that) a login here so he can answer our questions....
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
Ghostofwar
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ghostofwar »

Well damn. I was planning on going to PA for next years Nationals. I'm one of the east coast shooters and even though PA is not exactly close by, it is still within a day's drive. Have to fly out west will be a much bigger hassle and way more expensive to boot. I made it a goal to go to the Whittington center at least once, but will probably be only once.

Does anyone have a the names and addresses of where I can send my complaints?
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

This is sad to hear, I was hoping to go next year as well. Won't ever be able to make it to NM.
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

I will write them to keep rotating it. I live in AZ and I will be going to the future nationals in NM and unless I start winning matches or win the lotto, would have skipped the years on the east coast. I am sure a lot of shooters are like me. Alternating it allows different shooters access to the nationals.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

I want to be clear; I was quite happy with the Nationals alternating between Ridgeway and Whittington.

I can also say that I look forward to going to Whittington for next year's Nationals.

Maybe Mark and his daughter Waverley will let me on their team again next year?
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

JohnHenry wrote:At the final awards for the Lever Gun Nationals, the chairman of the silhouette committee spoke for a few minutes. The important point he made is that ALL the silhouette nationals will be held at Whittington Center from now on and they will be scheduled around August 1. I don't shoot smallbore or high power silhouette, but I thought you guys who live back East would be interested in these comments. From what I can gather, there are more shooters at the Nationals in Pa than at Whittington.

The chairman said having all the matches at Whittington is cost effective. There were a few objections at the awards ceremony, but the chairman acted like our opinions do not count. It's like the army, take it and shut up. If you want the Nationals back in PA next year, I'd advise writing the silhouette committee with your thoughts. He said they read every letter.

He also said competitor numbers in silhouette are dropping. I don't know about smallbore and high power, but we have averaged 165 shooters at the last 3 Lever Gun Nationals. Our part of the sport is alive and well. I voiced my objection to the chairman. He looked at me and made no comment. I wish the powers that be who dictate where we shoot would be active participants so they could have a feel for the shooters viewpoint. I think they turn a blind eye to what we want.

Jim Luke :?
They did the same with the position smallbore shooters, they told them they could vote on Bristol or going back to Camp Perry, the overwhelming response was Camp Perry, the NRA then signed a 5 year deal with the Bristol club. The NRA doesn't give two craps what the shooters think or want. The NRA anymore is nothing more then a political lobby group and could care less about the shooting sports, they only want your money.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)