Looking to get started

This is what we do.
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Looking to get started

Post by Doodaddy »

Del Gue wrote:Holy cow, Doodaddy! That is one fine looking rifle you have there. The Ruger 10/22 tactical with the Hogue stock is on my list of things to get, but it will just be a fun gun, not a comp gun. Clearly 10/22's, if they are heavily modified, can be and are employed.

You must tell us how it shoots!
Shockingly accurate. It's the second most accurate rimfire I own (until my benchrest 40X sells). I sent it off to the CMP nationals with a local junior silhouette shooter and he managed a 593/600 score and the only deductions from his score were blamed on ammo.

CST Titan action, Power Custom bolt, Kidd 2 stage trigger, and a Green Mountain 28 gunsmithing barrel blank cut, crowned, chambered, and chamfered by Joe Chacon at the AutoBenchrest Association for a final 24" finish topped with a Sightron Silhouette scope. That CMP shooter (Jonah Finley) says he liked to load up a magazine with 10 rounds to mow down 10 chickens with it in 10 seconds. He's a far better shooter than I! I did manage to shoot two personal bests with it yesterday.

The 10/22 is a very modular platform allowing a tremendous amount of customization. The Kidd 2 stage is a good trigger, but it's not on the level of an Anschutz 5018/5022 or CG Xtreme though.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
Del Gue
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Del Gue »

Wow! That's quite the rifle! It must be nice having an autoloader that will shoot like that! I expect you surprise (and embarrass)
a lot of people at matches when you pull that thing out, and then they see it shoot!
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

Del Gue wrote:Wow! That's quite the rifle! It must be nice having an autoloader that will shoot like that! I expect you surprise (and embarrass)
a lot of people at matches when you pull that thing out, and then they see it shoot!
It's only seen two matches in its lifetime. Maybe if I handed to someone who could put up a decent score, it might get some attention. :)) :))
ChuckD
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ChuckD »

Doodaddy
Great looking 10/22. Can you share on the stock?

Thanks
chuck
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

ChuckD wrote:Doodaddy
Great looking 10/22. Can you share on the stock?

Thanks
chuck
Sure can. It's a design that I have been working on with Mike Turner at http://www.benchreststocks.com . There are a couple of changes I plan to make (primarily removing the angle on the cheek piece and shortening grip length while making it slightly more vertical along with a couple of aesthetic changes), but every person I've had shoulder it for criticism has had nothing but positive words. The stock will not be a 10/22 exclusive; it was just the platform we started with since I needed a stock for mine at the time.

Ignore the paint on the barrel. It was an aesthetic experiment. I decided I liked the stainless better.

SteveD
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by SteveD »

I shoot left handed with a right handed action. You might take a moment to consider how this works.

Where I shoot, and as far as I know most other Silhouette ranges, have a stand upon which you can rest the rifle between shots (I shoot single shot).

Shooting with a right handed action allows me to put the rifle down while keeping my primary hand, my left, on the rifle at all times. I do not have to reposition my primary hand each time I prepare to take a shot. My right hand is going to be in different positions anyway depending on whether I am shooting at animals on the bottom or top rail.

This also gives me a clear view into the action in the case of a fail to eject, fail to feed or other problem.
Last edited by SteveD on Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Special Ed
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Special Ed »

SteveD wrote:I shoot left handed with a right handed action.
Nooooooooooo!!!!! :mrgreen:

I can totally see the sense in why you do it since you prefer to reset your support hand instead of primary hand. I am the opposite so I prefer lefty rifles (yes, I'm a lefty). Besides, why give the manufacturers more reason to ignore the needs of the oppressed? LOL

Bear in mind that I'm a guy who only buys left-handed watches and only uses left-handed scissors. BTW - watching a right-handed person use lefty scissors is a real treat if they haven't had a chance to get used to them :twisted:
Del Gue
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Del Gue »

I got nervous after reading on RFC that the lefty 452's may be drying up, so I just placed an order for one with Whittakers. I'll worry about a scope after I get back from vacation in the middle of September.
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

Del Gue wrote:I got nervous after reading on RFC that the lefty 452's may be drying up, so I just placed an order for one with Whittakers. I'll worry about a scope after I get back from vacation in the middle of September.
For LH, I was in the same boat with little choice. Had the Ruger American been offered in LH bolt, I would have bought. It will get you to AAA. Same as the CZ 452 will. You can change the combs on the Ruger American and might be more user friendly vs the LH CZ452 American. Just my comment.
LH CZ 452 Amer, Free Floated, FX-3 25X40, D3 Rings, TAC-22
https://www.beloitrifleclub.org/shootin ... ilhouette/
Del Gue
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Del Gue »

452 is in hand. When I get back from vacation I'll decide on a scope, although I'm leaning heavily towards the Leupy FX-3 25x at this time, since Sightron in their infinite wisdom decided to discontinue their silhouette.
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

Del Gue wrote:452 is in hand. When I get back from vacation I'll decide on a scope, although I'm leaning heavily towards the Leupy FX-3 25x at this time, since Sightron in their infinite wisdom decided to discontinue their silhouette.
It still infuriates me that Sightron did that. It absolutely blows my mind. The FX3 Silhouette model is now your only "off the shelf" option at this point. I'll following in your steps in the coming weeks as I need the weight savings of the fixed Leupold over the Sightron Silhouette.
Del Gue
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Del Gue »

I guess Sightron just decided that there aren't enough silhouette shooters to continue to cater to that user-group. Basically, they wrote us off. At least we know where we stand with that company. But they should know...if I'm going to buy Leupold silhouette scopes, then I'll be buying Leupold hunting scopes, too. Loyalty cuts both ways.
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

Del Gue wrote:I guess Sightron just decided that there aren't enough silhouette shooters to continue to cater to that user-group. Basically, they wrote us off. At least we know where we stand with that company. But they should know...if I'm going to buy Leupold silhouette scopes, then I'll be buying Leupold hunting scopes, too. Loyalty cuts both ways.
They also discontinued the fixed 36X in the Big Sky line too. Which rounds out my total of discontinued Sightron scopes to 3. It's almost as if they've decided to snub all of the moderately priced shooting sports and focus on the SIII line entirely. Apparently they want to be known as the company that makes the 10-50 scope only. Image
Del Gue
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Del Gue »

Diversification is often a good business strategy. Putting all your eggs in one basket and deliberately ignoring markets that you could take advantage of, markets that you've already established loyal customers in, is seldom a good idea. But it's their company, they are free to run it the way they see fit.
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

Del Gue wrote:Diversification is often a good business strategy. Putting all your eggs in one basket and deliberately ignoring markets that you could take advantage of, markets that you've already established loyal customers in, is seldom a good idea. But it's their company, they are free to run it the way they see fit.
Agreed.