Android Silhouette Spotting App

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
skracke77
Unclassified Poster

Android Silhouette Spotting App

Post by skracke77 »

I know there is an app for silhouette spotting made for Apple. I am not an Apple person and never found anything similar for Android so I recently built one. I am unable to attach the file to this post but if you pm me your email I can send it to you direct. The app has a page to record rifle settings and another page for spotting. You can click the animal button in the bottom left and it will bring up your choices of left/right CPTR. There is also a timer that is set by default at 2:30 but can be changed by tapping on the time. Reset time by holding down stop/reset. enter a file name and hit save and the current target will be saved to a folder created on your device named "Silhouette Images." The first 15 shots are numbered. I am very limited in skill and knowledge on app building so comments and suggestions are welcome but there's no guarantee I'll know how to implement the changes.
Last edited by skracke77 on Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skracke77
Unclassified Poster

Re: Android Silhouette Spotting App

Post by skracke77 »

Screenshot of the app
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

I know the app you are talking about for Apples. I have seen it in action and have swapped a bunch of emails with the author. But he has it in bad for Java and Android stuff, so he won't make a parallel version for the Android platform.

I would very much like a copy of your app if you are willing. You can reach me via email at brentd@iastate.edu, but how do I get an email attachment to install as an App on my phone? I'm not exactly skilled with these new gadgets.

Thanks for taking this on, I wish you the best of luck with it.
Brent
skracke77
Unclassified Poster

Post by skracke77 »

Brent,

I've sent you an email with the app. The instructions are included. Here is the short version. There are 2 files in the email. One is for tablets and the other for phones. Using your device click the file of your choice inside the email. The download and installation should begin automatically. Your device will have to be set to accept installation from unknown sources. Some are set for this automatically, to do it manually go to your device settings --> click on the security tab--> make sure the box next to unknown sources is checked. Let me know how things work.

Thanks,
Shaun
Grizz61
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Grizz61 »

Installed it this morning, looks good so far. Will try it out this weekend.
Grizz

Let's shoot some STEEL!!
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

What is the name of the app in Apple? I have searched the store and can't find anything?
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
skracke77
Unclassified Poster

Post by skracke77 »

I believe it is called Marksman Shooting Log.
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

cedestech wrote:What is the name of the app in Apple? I have searched the store and can't find anything?

Emmett -

I have it on the iPhone & iPad... But I seldom use it because it has a "black target overlaid on a black background" with just a thin outline edge of the target. An otherwise good app, but when I attempted to contact the tech support about changing colors to make it more visible in light, I got ZERO response from them, both via the Apple store and a website I found promoting it.

I've emailed you a .JPG of a screenshot to illustrate the affect.

-Tim
kd5zmg
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kd5zmg »

Anyone know the status of this app?

I found one a month back, but have lost the link. If someone has it, please post the Name or URL for the app. I am interested in the Android or iPhone platforms.

thanks,
-Mark
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

Yes,
The most common one is Marksman Shooting Log for both platforms $1.99. It was free about 3 years ago. I haven't used it in real time because I haven't found a suitable mount for my IPad on the line. There's enough stuff to move around now, scope, scorecards, ammo etc. I'm looking for something rock solid attached to the spotting scope that will possible shield it from direct sun but visible to the shooter. It is a nice app and could work if the bugs are worked out with the physical aspects of it..
ppkny
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

ppkny wrote:Yes,
The most common one is Marksman Shooting Log for both platforms $1.99. It was free about 3 years ago.
I can't find it for the Android platform. I don't think it exists for non iphones.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

I saw two guys using a prototype app a couple of years ago.
One guy looked through scope/binoculars then tapped the cell phone where the bullet strike was. The shooter looked down at a tablet with the hit and previous hits were recorded.
Been waiting for this one to hit the market. Looked like a useful tool to re or hits and misses and show any trends for that range/light.
I've moved twice since I saw it in Arizona...hope it comes around again
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
kd5zmg
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kd5zmg »

snaketail2 wrote:I saw two guys using a prototype app a couple of years ago.
One guy looked through scope/binoculars then tapped the cell phone where the bullet strike was. The shooter looked down at a tablet with the hit and previous hits were recorded.
Been waiting for this one to hit the market. Looked like a useful tool to re or hits and misses and show any trends for that range/light.
I've moved twice since I saw it in Arizona...hope it comes around again
I agree, that totally sounds useful... I am all for technology just to make it easier, the concept of the spotting board is what really counts.
-Mark
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

I guess they gave up on the Android version. I can't find it only IPad/IPhone.
ppkny
squinty_shooter
A Poster
A Poster

Post by squinty_shooter »

The Iphone/pad version is called marksman. I asked the builder if they would add a timer and more freedom on naming the saved files. Never received a reply. Go figure.
Kimbal