NRA books

This is what we do.
newpep
B Poster
B Poster

NRA books

Post by newpep »

What is the latest about the books from NRA matches, are they going to use them next year, or not?
If the books are gone, what will be done in place of them?
Will there be a fee for each match?
Who will be responsible for collecting and sending in the fees?
How will all this effect the matches, will NRA matches fall off?
Will people still have the matches, but not NRA matches?
Thanks
xpilot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: NRA books

Post by xpilot »

No change as far as I know.
newpep
B Poster
B Poster

Post by newpep »

I heard this weekend, that it had been done, don't know where he heard it.
NP
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

newpep, not all silhouette matches pay fees to the NRA.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Jerry,

In the past you have questioned the wisdom of discarding the books; I have to wonder why you did not bring the subject up at this year's competitors meeting during SB Nationals?
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

What is said at the nationals, stays at the nationals. I have never seen anything come out of the meetings. Most of the committee are not even silhouette shooters and they really don't care what we think.

We do need a book for our scores and classifications to travel with us. We should be able to buy a HP book or a SB book or whatever discipline we shoot and keep it till it is full like they do in Canada.

I never heard anything from the NRA about this new deal they are hatching. All the rumors that are floating around are doing no one any good. Not us or the NRA.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

I hate to admit that I agree with SOME of what you wrote. I like the idea of buying a scoring book and keeping it until it is full instead of a new one every year.

The rumors do not, like you commented, the sport or the NRA any good.
frankmako
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by frankmako »

back in the 80's you had a classification card. the card was only for what type of match you shot, not like the current books that has all the matches in them. you only got a card for the match/matches you shot. the card was good for one year, just like the books. the nra stopped the cards at the end of 86. 1987 the nra went to the book system.
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

frankmako wrote:back in the 80's you had a classification card. the card was only for what type of match you shot, not like the current books that has all the matches in them. you only got a card for the match/matches you shot. the card was good for one year, just like the books. the nra stopped the cards at the end of 86. 1987 the nra went to the book system.
Did the end of the card system and the start of the new book system create the same, end-of-the-world comments like the end of the book era seems to do?
frankmako
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by frankmako »

brentd.

no, the book system came and nobody cared. we just showed up each weekend and shot matches. there was no internet to speak of. no forums to keep people informed. i don't remember if i knew about the change over. first match of the season we showed up and purchased the new book. to me it was easy to have two books (rifle and pistol) to keep up with instead of six cards.
newpep
B Poster
B Poster

Post by newpep »

I am curious, if they do away with the books, how will it effect the cost with the NRA, will they have a fee for each match, if so who will collect and send in the fee? Will it be the match director or the individual shooters? How did the card system work and what was the cost? I don't think it is a problem either way, I am just wondering what is to come. I am have not been in the game that long.
NP
frankmako
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by frankmako »

newpep

if i can remember it has been any mango seasons ago. you paid for the classification card at your first match, same as the current book system. a one time purchased. the card had lines for about/around 27 matches. the cards had the same info as the current books (date, place, scored/#fired/ reclassification up/down, cert officer initial). you purchased what cards you needed for what you shot. i had to buy six cards each year (rifle and pistol). i don't remember how much the classification card cost. the card had a shooter information stub on the top that the match director turned into the nra. same as the current book. you paid once for the card just like the current book. the card was used just like the current book is used. the old card system is like the current book system and all money matters to the nra is on the match director.
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Frank,
The cards were $1.00 each.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

The switch from cards to a book was a 'no big deal' because the cost of the book wasn't very much and the book covered HP, SB, and Pistol. That was the extent of the silhouette shooting. I think the current book system works and It is my belief you don' fix anything that works well. Maybe use them until they are full, they really don't wear out that fast. The NRA probably spends more every year printing them than they cost. $20 for a book with no year printed on it that lasted until one portion was filled makes sense to me.