sheffieldshooter
B Poster
B Poster

Rapid-fire fun with a CZ bolt action.

Post by sheffieldshooter »

kd5zmg
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Rapid-fire fun with a CZ bolt action.

Post by kd5zmg »

Interesting... :-?
-Mark
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

25 Yards ?? Looks like something we should try one handed from the hip just to make it harder.
ppkny
sheffieldshooter
B Poster
B Poster

ppkny, come on down and give it a try sometime. The RO starts the timer with your first shot on a row. He stops it after you clear the last silo in that row. He records your time less a three second deduction for shooting the row clean, if applicable. Your overall score is the aggregate time for all four rows. All actions styles compete in the same event. Here are the action handicaps:

Semi-automatic = zero seconds
Pump = 18 seconds
Lever = 24 seconds
Straight-pull bolt = 30 seconds
Conventional bolt = 36 seconds

Bolt-actions can compete if you shoot with few misses, and the semi-autos leave the door open that day. The best semi-auto scores of all time are down around 11 seconds for the entire rack (note - that included any applicable good shooting rewards). My best bolt action score is 22 seconds for the entire rack (note - that includes good shooting rewards and the action handicap).
Last edited by sheffieldshooter on Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

All standing, correct?

Dustin
sheffieldshooter
B Poster
B Poster

dustinflint wrote:All standing, correct?

Dustin
Absolutely! Offhand and unsupported. No slings allowed either.

It's pretty exciting. We either put up three or four racks depending on the attendance. The RO with stop watch in hand works one shooter at a time from left to right on the firing line. A scribe records the row-times as the RO calls them out. By the time the last shooter is finished with that particular row, the RO and scribe can move back to the left and find the first shooter reloaded and ready for his/her next row.
sheffieldshooter
B Poster
B Poster

I looked in the desk drawer for an old Rapid-fire Rimfire score sheet and found a couple of my best efforts. One was fired with a Winchester 190 semi-auto that was a closet rescue from my next door neighbor (I paid her a fair and honest $100 for it). Her Daddy had put it away decades ago. I cleaned it up inside and out and found it to be a reliable and accurate plinker (very heavy trigger though). The other was fired with the rifle used in the video, a CZ 452 American.

kd5zmg
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kd5zmg »

Still sounds interesting.

What's the penalty for a miss?
-Mark
sheffieldshooter
B Poster
B Poster

kd5zmg asked, "What's the penalty for a miss?"

Your score is the amount of time it takes to knock a row down. If you miss one, you will have to loose the time to shoot at it again, and again, and again, until you knock it down. I always tell first time participants, "You can't miss fast enough to win." We added the good shooting bonuses of time deductions to encourage accuracy. I think most that have shot the match over the years would agree that "smooth" is what wins. Once again, if a semi-auto shooter is on that day, it's game over.

As you may imagine, the little chickens in the top row are the killer. Note, fatigue can be a factor with the chickens as well. One is engaging them after having shot the other three rows.

My YouTube Video is a bit misleading because I am shooting the entire rack straight through. In a match, the rows are engaged one string at a time. Here is a file video of me shooting the next to top row of pigs on a cool day in an actual match. I'm shooting at the center rack's pigs in the second from the top row.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128992557 ... otostream/
kd5zmg
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kd5zmg »

OK, so with this type of shooting, having a magazine with more than 5 rounds helps, right? Does it matter if the rifle is standard or hunter class?

I don't remember reading previous replies if it has to be a CZ or bolt action. I would probably use a supped up 10/22 for this type of fun since time is the factor for this shooting.
-Mark
sheffieldshooter
B Poster
B Poster

This is a local fun match. We have never limited the firearms other than the requirements of .22 LR and a "safe" trigger. If one goes too heavy it backfires on them. They start wobbling before they make it to the end.