Smith 627 revolver

Smallbore, pistol cartridge, centerfire - revolvers, pistols, Contenders, etc...
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Smith 627 revolver

Post by glen ring »

I am looking at a Smith and Wesson 627, 5 inch revolver to shoot Silhouette with. Do any of you have experience with this model ?
Just Be Nice **==
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Smith 627 revolver

Post by Another Dang 9 »

I had a S&W model 57 in 41 mag. With a 6" barrel and is was THE best gun I ever owned.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

Glen: Are you buying a used one or a new one? If used, have a compentent gunsmith check it out completely to make sure it is safe to shoot. Make sure he checks the timing also.

I have owned several S&W revolvers and semiautomatics over the years. In my opinion, they are the best revolver that you can own for a working revolver. I don't remember having any problems out of any of the ones that I owned and used. You will not make a bad choice with the Smith revolver. Part of my job (back years ago) included using them as a firearms instructor.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Ken

I've owned and competed with several j, k and l frames over the past 40 years, but I've never owned an N frame.

Since the location and dates of the Rifle Silhouette nationals aren't known yet, I can shoot the state , area and Internationals in IHMSA right at my home range about an hour from my front door.

The 627 I'm looking at is a new 5 inch model and I've wanted one since they first came out. I haven't found anyone who has competed with one, but I have read they are VERY accurate.

Years ago I was MUCH better with a handgun than with a rifle, and with the state of what ifs going on with rifle silhouette, I think I'll give hand gunning one last go round.

I am VERY familiar with the 357 round and I have a lot of components. I can shoot the 627 in several disciplines so it's a better choice for me than a single action revolver or a contender.
Just Be Nice **==
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

glen ring wrote:I am looking at a Smith and Wesson 627, 5 inch revolver to shoot Silhouette with. Do any of you have experience with this model ?
Found you one...

PM'ing the ad,

- Tim
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Thanks Tim.
Just Be Nice **==
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

Glen, next time I see you (next year Cowboy Nationals?), I have a S&W 586 with a 8 5/8" barrel in 357mag, that was made for silhouette.
It has a front sight that has four position stops, that are set with an Allen wrench and a dial. That lets you set the four sight settings.
You only need to change by turning a dial from one position to the next. If you are interested, it is looking for a new home.

I'm glad you are giving it a go.

Do you know if they are holding the IHMSA Championship match near you?
They had it at my club (LASC - Los Angeles Silhouette Club) here in California last year, and they had talked about going back and forth from here every other year.
I don't know if that is still true.

Thanks, Dennis
The Bug Father
...I don't like recoil, but I love to experiment.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Dennis

They had the IHMSA Internationals at my gun club last year. I shot IPSC, Action Pistol, Steel and PPC in the 80's and 90's. I was pretty good with a hand gun...much better than I am with a rifle. I think I'll give the handgun sports another spin before I'm too darn old. The action pistol and IPSC events are fun to shoot and fun to watch. Those sports are drawing young shooters and seem to be doing VERY well. We have a very good IHMSA range and it's only an hour from my house.

With some of the stuff going on in Rifle silhouette, I think I'm going to sell my Kimber HS and I can always sell my Weatherby vanguard 2 7-08 to a hunter here. I LOVE to shoot almost anything but the scoped rifle events are not for me...and the way the numbers are dropping apparently not for a lot of folks.

If you don't sell that Smith before the Lever action nationals, bring it and I'll try to deal you out of it. Sell it between now and then If you can though.

Have a safe thanksgiving my friend.
Just Be Nice **==
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

Thanks Glen!

BTW single actions seem to have the edge on accuracy in this game.
A good Blackhawk and of course Freedom arms are the best way to go... most of the time.

But don't underestimate a good S&W.

What I hear from most of the trusted experts in this game, is that consistent grip control is critical with a revolver.

Good shooting my friend.

Dennis
The Bug Father
...I don't like recoil, but I love to experiment.
Hosspower
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Hosspower »

A 5" 357 might be marginal on big bore rams.

Great for Field pistol / hunter pistol all day long.