Anyone used/tried a recorded line calling system?

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
durant7
A Poster
A Poster

Anyone used/tried a recorded line calling system?

Post by durant7 »

One of my challenges as a MD is to find someone willing to call the line. Our line is 120' long and the line caller is in the center watching and calling the line. Two suggestions have been made.

Find a timer similar to what is used in Bullseye where the line officer pushes a button and commands for slow or rapid are run through the PA to the line. I can't imagine such a device is out there as I have never seen one in my travels to various clubs. But.....I could be proved wrong and this is the best place to ask. When i ask the question why folks avoid this roll, I am told some people just don't like using a MIC, stage fright, fear of muffing things up. I shake my head but always listen to input.

The second option is a quality wireless MIC for the MD who might get a chance to shoot a round. I have seen this done. I have looked for such a device but find only AC powered versions. True enough, I have seen they are powered by AC to DC transformers but we run off a 12V trolling battery for the PA. I have not done the research on whether I could bypass the transformer and run directly off a 12V battery.

Thoughts and suggestions from other more clever MDs please!

Thanks!

JD in NH
dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Anyone used/tried a recorded line calling system?

Post by dhatch »

I have shot at some small matches here in Louisiana. I didn't pay close attention to the details at all, but I do believe that he used a recording on a cassette tape player.
Proud Member of the C. C. S. A.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

A couple of the matches I have been to use a wireless PA, built by Peavy I believe. I usually just yell when I call the line... :)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Jud, Look on Amazon for portable PA systems. There are several listed with wireless mikes.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

We tried a wireless Mic and received too much feedback. We could never get it to work correctly. The Whittington center has an EXCELLENT wireless mic system that Glenda Graves uses in her matches. We tried a recording and that was also unpredictable...but most of us are technically challenged anyway.

Jeanne started making assignments when we want to shoot. It is amazing the number of folks that get MIC FRIGHT.
Just Be Nice **==
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

glen ring wrote: It is amazing the number of folks that get MIC FRIGHT.
The best way to get people over that is just have them call a relay or two for a couple matches while you stand over them feeding them the lines. After few times the new wears off and it becomes second nature. Some match directors are natural at calling a line and shooting, some it is difficult. If you shoot at a club and the MD doesn't get quality shooting in because they don't multi task well and you do, offer to learn to call the match or portions of the match. They will GREATLY appreciate it. Match director at a small monthly match is one of the most thankless jobs there is. ;)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

I actually wrote out a "script' for one of our guys. Each part of each relay was called and then marked off. He does pretty good now. This year he called our regional . I brought my EIGHT year old Grandson out to watch and he asked " How much you payin that guy?' When I told him he stated " Oh, I coulda done that for you guys" !

Practice calling the monthly matches is the best way to get someone accustomed to calling a match.
Just Be Nice **==
IHMSA53393
B Poster
B Poster

Post by IHMSA53393 »

I was the match director at Irwin Sportsmen's Assn in Irwin,Pa for 18 years. We shot NRA Hunters Pistol and then added PC and Smallbore Cowboy Rifle. Most matches I did not get to shoot. So I created the two attached files, wrote a CD and connected a single cheap CD player to our PA system. The first file is setup to run and shoot two banks of targets. The second file is a shortened version for the second bank if you have an alibi. Playing the first file let me walk to my shooting position and shoot the match while calling the range. Another match director that I gave the file to plays them from his cell phone. Anyone feel free to make as many copies and share as you wish.

Bruce Lumsden
Irwin, Pa
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

I know this is asking too much but this is what I want. A simple remote like a TV remote with each command on a button. The MD can then start, stop, delay or restart any part of the match at any time. Advancing, reversing and skipping a recording is too time consuming.
richard
A Poster
A Poster

Post by richard »

Check around and see if you have any ham radio operators that shoot with you. They may be able to help with your issue. MFJ makes a voice recorder unit that should feel your needs. The contest hams use the voice recorder for calling when contesting so they don't lose their voice.
Richard
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Here is the PDF manual for one of the MFJ voice keyers that Richard is referring to, specifically the Model MFJ-434B. There is a picture of the front panel and the rear panel. This is too big and heavy for my purposes. I need something I can place in my pocket but it is a good idea for the way many matches are run. This one only records 5 commands. You may need more. Here is the link:
http://www.difona.de/pdf_en/mfj434b_manual.pdf
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

I shot a Nationals match at Raton when one was used. IMHO, it sucked. Don't do it.
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

glen ring wrote:We tried a wireless Mic and received too much feedback. We could never get it to work correctly. The Whittington center has an EXCELLENT wireless mic system that Glenda Graves uses in her matches. We tried a recording and that was also unpredictable...but most of us are technically challenged anyway.

Jeanne started making assignments when we want to shoot. It is amazing the number of folks that get MIC FRIGHT.
Glenn: One cause for the feedback is having the mic too close to the speakers. Try moving the speakers farther away from the speaker or face the speakers away from the speaker.

I have used a wireless headset while doing a bible study in a lobby area for an assisted living facility. I setup 2 speakers on stands, with one on my left and one on my right. They were probably 15 feet on either side of me. I did not have any problem with feedback unless I got too close to a speaker or the volume or gain was set improperly.
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

BrentD wrote:I shot a Nationals match at Raton when one was used. IMHO, it sucked. Don't do it.
This. Whoever said Raton had a good system wasn't there when I was. Theirs is....less than stellar?
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

PeEll uses a wireless mick and it seems to work just fine. I would think a little cassette tape would be able to play back the range commands. They use a cassette tape for the national anthems at Raton.