Air Rifle Iron Sight Silhouette?

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

Air Rifle Iron Sight Silhouette?

Post by dhatch »

Just for kicks, thinking that it just might improve my Lever Action scores, I have been using my old Gamo with the factory iron sights shooting 1/5 scale smallbore swinger targets. I have them set at the air rifle distances. So far, my scores are mirroring my Lever Action scores. To me it's a lot of fun and adds to air rifle silhouette. I'm hooked on this but I will not stop shooting regular air rifle silhouette. I think that next I'll cut out one of each animal, 1/5 scale, out of 1/8" thick steel to see if they are too heavy or not, to fall. Just saying.
Also, at the Coop we are shooting regular air rifle silhouette on the first Sunday of each month.
Proud Member of the C. C. S. A.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Re: Air Rifle Iron Sight Silhouette?

Post by dustinflint »

Danny, this is a good idea. If you want the proper scale to SB & PC cowboy silhouette with 1/5 scale targets you'll need to set them at 16m, 20m, 30m and 40m.

If you are having trouble knocking over the 1/5 scale Rams with an airgun, you can use the 1/10 scale air rifle targets at 8m, 10m, 15m and 20m.

Dustin
dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dhatch »

If you are having trouble knocking over the 1/5 scale Rams with an airgun, you can use the 1/10 scale air rifle targets at 8m, 10m, 15m and 20m.

Dustin[/quote]

Until I get some 1/5 made, Thanks for scaling down the distances for the 1/10 targets. I'll do that along with shooting the 1/5th. I've been shooting at them at regular distance and really tough to hit.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

You will probably be better off using the 1/10 scale airgun targets for three reasons. First, the further out you go, the more the accuracy, or lack thereof, of the rifle shows up. Second, the targets are lighter and easier to knock over (and cheaper). Third, you don't need as much space (not that you are hurting for space). Games like this sometimes catch on around the state or even around the country (see cowboy silhouette) Keeping the distances short will help it catch on if it's going to.
I think this is a great idea.

Dustin
dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dhatch »

Then 1/10th scale, at 8, 10, 15, and 20m, it is! I have more than plenty 1/10th scale targets. A friend from the Pineville/Alexandria area recently gave 2 sets to us along with what we already had. More than enough room to have regular air rifle set up along with this, and run both at the same time. I'll have it all set up for this Sunday's match.
I am thinking that, at the Coop, to keep this from turning into an equipment race, to have two classes. One to be springer with factory, non-target iron sights only. The second class to be Open. Anything goes as long as it is iron sights, no magnification at all.
Also for now, no classifications. We are all head up.
Currently we, Doodaddy, Bruce, and myself, are preparing flyers for our CLA matches that we are having the 3rd Sat of each month at the Top Shot Shooting Facility in North Hodge, La. We'll fix up a second flyer for the monthly Coop Shoot that's on the first Sunday of each month. We plan to pass them out from Shreveport to Monroe to Bastrop to Columbia.
If you think about it, there are an awful lot of Gamo's out there. We'll see if this catches on.
At the monthly Coop Shoot, entry fee is $10.00 for all day. For the Air Rifle Iron Sight matches, for those that want to, $2.00 or so each in the pot, winner takes all. Ya'll come.
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

Danny: Which air rifles have iron sights that fall into each class? Thanks Ken
dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dhatch »

Right now, there's only one class. If it's an air rifle with iron sights, it qualifies. Mine has a .040 green fiber optic sight in a globe on front and a Williams target sight on the rear. It has a 30" sight radius. I shoot 1/5 scale animals at 20, 30, 36, & 45 yds. Sometimes I'll shoot the 1/10 scale and actually hit some of them.
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

Danny: Which air rifles have open sights?