Considering a new gun case

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
SteveD
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Considering a new gun case

Post by SteveD »

SKB is pretty good.

I got a Pelican 1750. Would not have bought one just to get the wheels but they are great!

Bought a second one for the new HP rifle. :D

Now I just need some stickers for it so that I can tell them apart and not take the Smallbore rifle to a HP match. LOL
Snake
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Snake »

I have a two scoped rifle Pelican case...had it for years. I love it...especially when traveling by air to the Sportsman's Challenge...I watch the baggage cart dump my case on the tarmac an the following cart ran over it!!!!! Not a scratch and no injury to the contents...none! It even has a pressure valve to regulate the internal pressure when flying. OpticPlanet has them from 199 to 300 depending on size with free shipping. Remember a $10 rifle gets a $10 case. Browning occasionally has a knock off for a few sheckles less...if you can find one.........and its sealed against water.. like rain
Taps
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Taps »

Pelican 1750. Best protection against airline baggage handlers there is.
Also, you can fit 2 scoped rifles or 3 lever guns in the one case.
Taps
curmudgeon
B Poster
B Poster

Post by curmudgeon »

DavidABQ wrote:What is the preferred case among my fellow silhouette shooters here?
I bought a double rifle, pelican knock-off to transport my daughter's CZ and my Sako - I don't think they both would have fit if her scope had target turrets too. It's heavy, so heavy that I won't use it for day trips. If I were doing it over, I would go with 2 singles. As it is, I bought a single for the CZ so she could travel with it.

A friend has the Plano Airglide - is great for day trips - I don't think I would trust it to survive the airline gorillas
pbansen
B Poster
B Poster

Post by pbansen »

DavidABQ wrote:What is the preferred case among my fellow silhouette shooters here?

Hard sided cases? Aluminum or polymer construction? Any particular favorite brands or models?
I recently bought an SKB i4909 hard-sided (polymer) case. Very impressed with it - super sturdy, great latches and the foam tapers so that it is thicker on the barrel end of the case so the rifle will be gripped more tightly and avoid shifting in transit. 49" long interior, reinforced padlock eyes and a lifetime warranty. Just over $100 from Amazon.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DJQ10KQ

Pete
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

I've had the Pelican IM3300. A tank of a case. I recently got one of the below. A fraction of the price and a solid choice.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E2 ... UTF8&psc=1
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
xpilot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by xpilot »

Plano makes some good stuff.........
Taps
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Taps »

Yeah, if you stick with the U.S made items, the Chinese made Plano stuff can be a bit ordinary.
Taps
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

I heard a rumor this weekend that TSA has changed the max permissible size to make most every full-length case illegal to put on an airplane. I don't know if it's true or any of the specifics But it might be worth checking out before you buy a new case if you plan to fly with it.

Dustin
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

That will suck if it turns out to be true.
shooterer
B Poster
B Poster

Post by shooterer »

I went with the Plano Field Locker. It looked pricy at first, but at $100 it was a cheap way to protect a $500 Leupold and $500 CZ. and at 47" long it fits nicely in my trunk.

http://www.planomolding.com/tactical/fi ... d-gun-case
Stand up for what is right.... even if you stand alone.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

dustinflint wrote:I heard a rumor this weekend that TSA has changed the max permissible size to make most every full-length case illegal to put on an airplane. I don't know if it's true or any of the specifics But it might be worth checking out before you buy a new case if you plan to fly with it.

Dustin
It would be great if you could find any links with more info on that, Dustin. The only recent change that I know of relates to electronics larger than smartphones coming from countries with heightened security concerns.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

Jason wrote:It would be great if you could find any links with more info on that, Dustin. The only recent change that I know of relates to electronics larger than smartphones coming from countries with heightened security concerns.
I have no additional info and no idea whether it's true or not. Just heard a rumor from one of our shooters at a club match. He's a pretty good source but that's all I know.

Dustin
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

Most of the information on checked baggage dimensions is published by the individual airlines, typically 62", while the TSA seems concerned with other details.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting ... ammunition
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Isn't there also a two gun limit and 50 rounds per gun max allowance. Puts cowboy off the list if its a 3 gun match.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member