Spotting scope

Front-stuffers, smoke-belchers and .22 BPCR!
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Spotting scope

Post by glen ring »

It looks like we're going to need a spotting scope with this BPCR stuff. What do you guys/gals recommend ?
Just Be Nice **==
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Spotting scope

Post by BrentD »

I use a Zeiss. But I would recommend a Kowa - with an 80 mm objective lens and a straight ocular and variable eyepiece. I would also stay away from the real high-end versions as they cut through mirage that you need to see. 60mm scopes will not cut it.

I think my old Kowa was an 822 TSN or something like that - I haven't seen better, though I thought the Zeiss was an upgrade (and it would be if I was a birder).

You know, this topic is about 10x more controversial than what caliber or action to start with :)
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

The straight version of this scope is what I would suggest you look for on the used (ebay) market.
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

I like the Vortex Viper. Another one we're seeing on the line is the high end Leupold.

But almost as important as the optics, is the stand it's mounted on. A good solid heavy duty stand needs to be included in the shopping list.
the ex pom
A Poster
A Poster

Post by the ex pom »

I upgraded to a 82mm Kowa, having putting it next to my mates swarovski Im quite happy that the extra money he spent on it was wasted. At 500m there was no appreciable difference.
The only thing I would say is make sure you get the lense that has adjustable power, say 20-60x. I had a fixed 27x and on a hot day here in Aus the mirrage made it almost impossible to use, matehe 20x had the 20-60x and it was better when he wound it right down.

Dave
348 winchester,teach them chickens a lesson, when a girls gun will not do. Man up with a steel buttplate!!!!!