Can I use this rifle for 22BPCR?

Front-stuffers, smoke-belchers and .22 BPCR!
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Can I use this rifle for 22BPCR?

Post by TheBugFather »

For me and my son (11 years old):
It is a Ithaca model 49 single shot with a falling block type action.
49-1.jpg
I know I could get a fancy gun, but not sure if he and I will like the game or if they even have anything like this in the Southern California area. I heard all you guys boasting about how fun it is at the Nationals.
Thanks, Dennis
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Bug Father
...I don't like recoil, but I love to experiment.
No1_49er
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Can I use this rifle for 22BPCR?

Post by No1_49er »

Dennis, I'm sure that once you start shooting this match there will be no stopping.
I would suggest that you approach the range official and ask if s/he will permit its use. I would hope they would, but there might be the proviso that it wouldn't give you a sanctioned score.
Per NRA Rifle Silhouette Rules (3.4), the Martini type action, which I believe is what the Ithaca more closely resembles, is not an approved action. The rule allows "made for black powder cartridges, of United States manufacture, prior to 1896". The Martini is almost there, but not of U.S. manufacture.
Don't hold back, go and shoot the match. Then you will realise that a type approved action will be something else to acquire. What, another one? :)) Then you could really "move over to the dark side" and add to the set with a BPCR :-bd

For a bit more info, go to the 22BPCR forum here http://www.22bpcra.com/forum/

49er
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

Since it has an exposed hammer, I believe that the Ithaca would be allowed under the rules at National. But for sure, you are going to need to do something about those sights.

If you want to go, I know we can find something you can borrow. Mine for instance. Of course, it broke down at this years match at 10s of thousands of rounds without trouble. Talk to Al, and he will have some ideas too, but you do need some sights.

That's a pretty cool rifle though.

Brent
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

As a side question, what is the tube under the barrel for if not for a magazine? I haven't shot one of those before, and don't think I've even seen one in person. Thanks for posting the pictures.
No1_49er
A Poster
A Poster

Post by No1_49er »

The Ithaca M49 was a lever action look-alike, produced 1961 - 79. It is a single shot, Martini type action with a manually cocked hammer. The "magazine tube" serves no purpose; it has no function. The receiver is made with an aluminium like alloy, painted black.

A very brief description, which might help.

49er
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

No1_49er wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:25 pm The Ithaca M49 was a lever action look-alike, produced 1961 - 79. It is a single shot, Martini type action with a manually cocked hammer. The "magazine tube" serves no purpose; it has no function. The receiver is made with an aluminium like alloy, painted black.

A very brief description, which might help.

49er
FWIW, they did make a repeater version of the M49 rifle where the tube did function as a magazine. Unfortunately I don't recall the model number, only that it was identical to the single shot in every other aspect.

I've owned, and traded or sold, two of the M49s and they were great kids guns. Albeit both the ones I owned had triggers that were a good 5-6 lbs.

My .02,

- Tim
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

I'ld suggest you go pose the question on the 22 bpcr forum link posted above.
If you don't own the rifle, and don't want to put a ton of money into a rifle, you would do well to look around for a Stevens 44, or possibly one of the Uberti rolling blocks. Sights are going to cost you almost as much as one of the less expensive rifles.
I've yet to run across anybody that has shot the 22bpcr game, that hasn't been hooked on it in short order.
I've heard they were shooting matches at Yuma, Tucson and the Ben Avery, not exactly in So Cal, but close enough to make the trip to look the match over.
Grizz61
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Grizz61 »

As a Match Director for 22 BPCR. I would allow it to shoot in my monthly matches, but it would not qualify for larger sanctioned matches, To get interest in shooting the sport I would be very tolerate in what kind of guns were used. this rifle in its current configuration would most likely have a hard time completing, but one never knows. A good rifleman familiar with his rifle can do wonders. If you are in Colorado bring it on out, I have plans for creating a special class for not normally allowed guns to complete.
Grizz

Let's shoot some STEEL!!
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

IF you shoot one match you're hooked. That first tiny ram at 200 meters that you hit..you're a gonna. The first tiny chicken at 50 that you hit..you'll giggle. We bought a Japanese Winchester 1885 and put good sights on it. It is a marvelous little rifle and one can be had for $800.00 or so dollars about anywhere. Really wanting THE best 22 BPCR rifle? Contact DZ ARMS. Dan builds Hepburns and they are exceptionally accurate and pretty.
Just Be Nice **==
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

Thanks everyone for the input.
I'm going to look more into this.
Trying to find a low cost rifle that my son and I can both use.
I think Pala might shoot this match or maybe I can try this out at my club, LASC,
I think we already use the current target setup for our monthly matches.
If you don't know, LASC is an old pistol silhouette club in northern Los Angeles County.
We have hosted numerous NRA Pistol Nationals matches and have 10 banks of targets and 40 firing points.

If you are in the area Labor Day weekend, we put on "The Extravaganza of Silhouette" every year, 4 days and all the guns you can shoot and 3 dinners. PM me if any takers.
I think I will post something soon in the general forum.

Thanks, Dennis
The Bug Father
...I don't like recoil, but I love to experiment.
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

dwostler wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:53 pm Thanks everyone for the input.
I'm going to look more into this.
Trying to find a low cost rifle that my son and I can both use.
I think Pala might shoot this match or maybe I can try this out at my club, LASC,
I think we already use the current target setup for our monthly matches.
If you don't know, LASC is an old pistol silhouette club in northern Los Angeles County.
We have hosted numerous NRA Pistol Nationals matches and have 10 banks of targets and 40 firing points.

If you are in the area Labor Day weekend, we put on "The Extravaganza of Silhouette" every year, 4 days and all the guns you can shoot and 3 dinners. PM me if any takers.
I think I will post something soon in the general forum.

Thanks, Dennis

Dennis-

I'm forwarding you an email for a Remington Rolling Block that might interest you, particularly with your son in mind....

:ymcowboy:

- Tim
Baja_Traveler
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Baja_Traveler »

Dennis,

Our shoots at Pala are not sanctioned events for 22BPCR, and we allow whatever you bring to shoot so as to boost participation numbers - we also allow shooting off the bench as well as the traditional prone off sticks. We have everything showing up from my old Stevens 414 and CPA, to high end Kidd 10/22's with modern scopes, heck we even had a small bore shooter show up with his 39a and shot the whole thing offhand (and he did very well). We just run two classes - Traditional (iron or scope) and Modern (Iron and Scope). Matches are held every 5th Sunday.
Hoping that we can build a solid participation in this match so we can start running sanctioned matches eventually...