Unertl Scope mounts

Front-stuffers, smoke-belchers and .22 BPCR!
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Unertl Scope mounts

Post by glen ring »

I have my 22 BPCR Scope rig together using an MVA scope and unertl mounts. I have a 50 meter zero. Is it possible to loosen the turrets and put them at Zero?
Just Be Nice **==
GSL
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Unertl Scope mounts

Post by GSL »

yes ... I believe you just have to loosen that screw and set ...
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

I think you could rezero the dial to a "zero" anywhere you want, but how will you read the sight setting? The mounts are made to be read from the bottom of the scale. In other words, if you have what is correctly designated, let's say 67, for example, and then you rezero it so the knob's scale is at "zero", what do you call this in your books? What do you call your 200 m setting?

I have had mounts where someone has done this or they simply came out of adjustment somehow, and they are really frustrating to use. Getting the scale back to a proper zero is the best way to use a scope that you adjust all the time for different conditions, distances, ammunitions, etc. I fail to see any advantage in doing what you suggest, but it's your rifle!
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

GSL..I guess I'm missing the screw you're talking about. can you e-mail to me or post the screw on yours so I'll know which one you're talking about.

Brent.. I like a starting point on any sight. Just like my scopes, my Baldwin sights...they have a zero starting point and I like that. On the 200meter and in mounts I haven't much need for wind age because that is usually a best guess and most folks aren't good at it. The knob I need to show zero for 50 meters is the elevation knob. If I can set it to zero the rest is easy because distance and gravity are constants.
Just Be Nice **==
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

Well I won't try to dissuade you any further, but it's like calling 4.682" on a yard stick zero and then -- well I don't know exactly. Unertl mounts do have a staring point. 0.00" should be very clear and every distance is measured from that. If you zero at 0.63", I don't even know what you would call it, never mind find it or any other sight setting later on. Zeroing the rest are never easy because the change from range to range, ammo to ammo, and minute to minute as conditions change. This is totally different than CLR SB.

If you aren't burning your windage knobs, then you are doing something a lot different than what most competitive shooters are doing. I may make 3 or 4 sight corrections with the windage knobs for just one shot! You, for sure, won't get good at it if you don't use 'em.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

I just asked for advice from someone who has used unertl mounts. When I bought my BPCR gun my bud Don said " there's a lot of Black magic stuff passed along in BPCR..Just remember, everyone is full of shit, including me, so experiment and find what works for You" He's a pretty wise guy. I have a match to prepare for this weekend so I need to round up some chicken blood, a newt, and a bat's foot...Oh yeah, and a way to start my elevation knob at zero.
Just Be Nice **==
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

I have used Unertl mounts. A lot. But, okay.