Herny vs Marlin 39

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
ChuckD
A Poster
A Poster

Herny vs Marlin 39

Post by ChuckD »

I know the standard is the 39, but how much of a real advantage is the Marlin over the Henry? How abkut if used at PCCLA also?

thanks
chuck
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Herny vs Marlin 39

Post by Merlin »

An extra 4" of barrel on the 39 is 20% more sight radius. That is a substantial advantage........
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

Merlin wrote:An extra 4" of barrel on the 39 is 20% more sight radius. That is a substantial advantage........

Not as substantial as one might assume, especially in the right hands... I've seen plenty of master class scores turned in with shorter barrels, including a couple national championships (as well as state honors).

While the 39A is the standard in SBCR, I've seen a 20" barreled Henry in more than one shoot off for top spot, and a 20" barreled Marlin win top honors in PCCLA at the nationals on more than a couple occasions.

My .02,

- Tim
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

The shooter is the advantage. A good shooter will have roughly the same score. If you can find a decent 39a for a reasonable price great, if not you can do a full blown Henry for around $500 ready to shoot, rifle, sights, adjustable aperture, fiber optic insert, cheek riser and extended butt pad. A little work on the trigger and ammo testing you will have a very nice rig that will last you for years.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

Tlee wrote:
Merlin wrote:An extra 4" of barrel on the 39 is 20% more sight radius. That is a substantial advantage........

Not as substantial as one might assume, especially in the right hands... I've seen plenty of master class scores turned in with shorter barrels, including a couple national championships (as well as state honors).

While the 39A is the standard in SBCR, I've seen a 20" barreled Henry in more than one shoot off for top spot, and a 20" barreled Marlin win top honors in PCCLA at the nationals on more than a couple occasions.

My .02,

- Tim
Yea... Lee Trevino used to hustle golf using a Dr. Pepper bottle. I still maintain that he could have done much better with a set of clubs....

Don't mistake someone getting it done - In Spite of the equipment rather than Because Of.....
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
AMB
A Poster
A Poster

Post by AMB »

I'll kick anyone's butt shooting a Herny 8-}

Merlin speaks wise words!

Regarding PC, that's tough. There just aren't as many readily available PC rifles. I shoot a CL with a 22" bbl and it's competitive, but would rather be shooting a CB .357

Al Bean
Ojaileveraction
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Ojaileveraction »

The Henry's longer receiver the 20 inch octagon sight radius is only 2.65 inches shorter than the Marlin 39 with similar receiver sights
Tim
Guns, They're not really yours, until you void the warranty.
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

Ojaileveraction wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:05 pm The Henry's longer receiver the 20 inch octagon sight radius is only 2.65 inches shorter than the Marlin 39 with similar receiver sights
If we're updating old threads, we can also make mention that there is a 24" barreled version of the Frontier now.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
tnchicknsnipr
B Poster
B Poster

Post by tnchicknsnipr »

I would have to agree it's the shooter not the shooting iron. My wife and I have 4 henrys, 2 in 22 and 2 in 357. She shoots a h001 carbine with a youth stock which she has named baby henry. It is so short we have to use a wood dowel rod to put it in a rack. With this rifle she won aa class at the granite state last september. With her big boy steel she won a class in cla and set a new Womens long run record in chickens.
I shoot a 24 inch Frontier and won the aaa class at granite state.
The big difference is cost. My Frontier with sights is about 525. Marlin 39a in my area are much higher if you can find one. Most 39a are well used. If it breaks good luck finding parts. Henry breaks just call for repair.
Henry is coming out with a big boy steels in 327 mag which maybe the next best caliber for pccla. Time will tell.
I checked the stats for nationals and see more henrys are showing up.
Ojaileveraction
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Ojaileveraction »

I've had both and for awhile I tried to decide with was the better rifle.
The both shot better than me.
I ended up deciding the Marlin was prettier and I gave it to my Daughter-In-law.
Living in the city she can break it down and put it a tennis racket bag and not draw attention going to the range.
Tim
Guns, They're not really yours, until you void the warranty.
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

I would say go for a new Henry :-bd over a used worn out Marlin :( :D. With the used Marlin, you are taking a chance that it might shoot. The new Henry with shoot. If it don't just send it back to Henry and Henry will get it to shoot. :-bd

I have a Henry 24" Frontier for smallbore lever and a Henry Big Boy Brass receiver in .357 magnum for pistol cartridge. Later on, I will probably get a Henry 30-30 for the big bore lever action, but right now I will try the .357 for CLA.
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

If they made the Henry in a semi pistol grip version, I would buy both the 22 and 22mag 24" versions. But because they don't, I'm in the market for a Marlin 39a.