Standard Class Trigger Weight

This is what we do.
jbzeus
B Poster
B Poster

Standard Class Trigger Weight

Post by jbzeus »

Wondering what the "standard" trigger pull weight is for a standard class rifle. Yes, I know it is personal preference but like a lot of things there usually is a standard or "what the pros use" so I'm curious.

Jeff
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Re: Standard Class Trigger Weight

Post by DavidABQ »

I thought it was any safe trigger? Perhaps it is left to the whim of the match director; I can't remember.
ShootingStar
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ShootingStar »

jbzeus,
The rule book says "any safe trigger pull" - so as a Match Director, I don't measure it - I just do the bump test on an empty chamber.

Now if what you are really asking is "What weight do the top shooters set their SB rifles to?" that's another question I can't answer.
I do know of a couple of folks who have their Standard Rifle set to 2-4 oz.
There's getting to be fewer and fewer people using dedicated Smallbore (Standard) Rifles. Several top shooters have benchrest actions mated to top-name barrels - cut to length to make Hunter weight (with super-light stocks) and just shoot the best 2lb-1oz trigger they can get.

Probably not much help to you.

ShootingStar
jbzeus
B Poster
B Poster

Post by jbzeus »

Yes, that is my question. For those who shoot a standard rifle for standard instead of their hunter rifle what are the top shooters setting their trigger weight at?
Emietenkorte
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Emietenkorte »

I only shoot one rifle for both hunter and standard in smallbore but I shoot a separate standard rifle and hunter rifle for high power. I have the triggers set exactly the same, 2lbs 1oz on both standard and hunter rifles. If I shot two rifles for smallbore I would do the same thing. I don't want the inconsistency of different trigger weights when I'm at a match, I just use the additional weight of my standard rifle to minimize the movement. I'm not saying it's the only way, it's just the way that seems to work for me.
snipes
B Poster
B Poster

Post by snipes »

Interesting question. I use two separate rifles, but mainly because I have two different rifles I want to enjoy. I won't be winning any championships anytime soon though.
I do have a question regarding the multiple comments about 2 lbs. 1 oz. What scales are you all using to give yourself that level of confidence of knowing you are exactly 1 oz. over the minimum? Any time I adjust mine I always worry I will be under and the last thing I want to do that morning is pull my stock off and adjust the trigger. So I end up going for 2.5 lbs or so.
Evelio Mc Donald
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Evelio Mc Donald »

The best way to check the trigger pull, is to use a certified set of weights that has a hook and hangs on the trigger with the gun upright. You cock the trigger, sit the weight set on the floor ( with two lbs. weights on it ) stick the hook on the trigger and lift the gun slowly, it should pick up the weight without releasing the trigger, if it does goes off, you are too low. This is the way that the trigger pull is checked at the big matches.
The set is available from Brownell's.
Needless to say to make sure the gun is empty prior to checking the trigger pull.
Evelio.
Evelio
Emietenkorte
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Emietenkorte »

I have the Lyman Trigger Pull Gauge which gives a good ball park, how you pull and direction sometimes gives a variation. As Evelio said above, the trigger weights are the best way to go. I normally use the gauge to get it close and then use the weights.
jbzeus
B Poster
B Poster

Post by jbzeus »

All good information but the only answer to my question seems to be that even though you can use a lower pull weight folks are using 2# for their standard gun as well as the hunter. I get keeping the weights the same for consistency I just thought folks might be using something like 8oz since they could go lower.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I have my standard class smallbore rifle trigger set at about 12 ounces. I tried it as low as 6 ounces like my prone rifle, but that was just too low for me for a rifle that is only shot standing. I don't really shoot my standard rifle that much anymore. I usually shoot my hunter rifle for both classes.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Way back when I shot my standard rifle, it was set at 3 oz.