6BR vs .243 Winchester

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
SteveD
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: 6BR vs .243 Winchester

Post by SteveD »

Ken Green wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:20 am Hey guys: I think I maybe should have worded the first post differently. My intent was to compare the 6BR to the .243 Winchester. I really did not want to bring any other calibers into the discussion. Thus the question is the 6BR better than the .243 Winchester for silhouette or is the .243 Winchester better than the 6BR for silhouette.

I know they use the same bullet. The 6BR case is shorter and it has a smaller case capacity. By using less powder, you have less felt recoil.

So the original question: is the 6BR better than the .243 Winchester for silhouette or is the .243 Winchester better than the 6BR for silhouette.
Between those two cartridges, assuming that you load your own, 6BR. If you don't load your own, learn!

Actually, if I had to choose between a 6BR and any cartridge on the planet, I would (actually just did) choose a 6BR.

Chickens, Pigs and Turkeys, Sierra 107gr MK and 30ish grains of Varget over CCI 450 primers.

Standby for my secret Ram recipe. :D
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

Hi Steve! You back in the states yet?

Ready to finish your bullet testing now?
Last edited by thauglor on Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

This is a funny post. 10+ years ago I was shooting a .243 and everyone told me to give it up so I switched to a .260 but I was asked what was the best cartridge was. I said a 6BR and was laughed at for even saying it. Now everyone wants to shoot one... What ever. Just be sure to pick a good twist for the heavy bullets. Back then no one was even making bullets over 107 gr. other than Tubb. I still think its a good cartridge.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
Porpoise
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Porpoise »

I have a 9inch twist bdl which i bought because other 243 are 10 inch and i wanted to be able to shoot 105 gr. Bullets. It will not shoot these bullets they are all over the paper although lighter weights are fine. I dont think factory 243 rifle would be good
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

You need a 1 in 8 for the 105s at least, maybe even a 1 in 7 or 7.5 to be able to shoot the new 110 or 115 bullets that are out.
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

I just built a 6BR on a Tikka T3 action,Lilja barrel with a 1-7 twist. It will shoot 1/2 in or less groups at 200 meters. I’m using Sierra 95 gr TMK’s and 110 MK’s with Varget powder.
The gun weights 8 lbs in the factory Forest wood stock with a 6.5 X 20 Leupold. Balance is perfect and recoil in minimal.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

cslcAl wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:15 am I just built a 6BR on a Tikka T3 action,Lilja barrel with a 1-7 twist. It will shoot 1/2 in or less groups at 200 meters. I’m using Sierra 95 gr TMK’s and 110 MK’s with Varget powder.
The gun weights 8 lbs in the factory Forest wood stock with a 6.5 X 20 Leupold. Balance is perfect and recoil in minimal.

Al Foust
I have a T3 forest coming in, 6.5x55 for now but already gathering components for 6br. Who did your barrel work?

Timney is coming out with a 2 stage trigger in January.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

If you are goint to shoot rams with a 6mm bullet, you better be able to hit them in the back half of the animal or pay the target setters to set them light.
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Mark Pharr did my barrel work.

Here’s the ballistics on my ram load. Not too shabby in the energy department.
CD8C1BB1-BFFF-4DE4-B64D-D5CEFDA68DA8.jpeg
Al Foust
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Team Sierra Member
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Al, if my memory serves me I was using IMR 4064 with good results in my .243 Win and 107 SMK. Not sure how it performs in a 6BR with heavier bullets. I still have all the bullets I had for sale in the market place here if you want to try a few.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

Reading through this thread, it stood out that at least a couple of you are building on the Tikka T3 action. Since the T3 is so good to start with, it sounds like a great idea, but it surprised me and I'd like to hear more about your experiences with it in a separate thread.

I've learned to be more pragmatic in cartridge choices, so I'd probably go with the .243. For example, I do have a 6.5cm because (pragmatically) ammunition and brass are widely available, and not on any belief that the cartridge is magically superior.

Someone already mentioned that loaded .243 ammunition is readily available, and - since the .243 is based on the .308 Winchester case - it is comparatively easy to make .243 cases from .308 Win brass. Some quick research found that the 6br was based on the .308x1.5 Barnes (?!) which was derived from the .308 Winchester case, so it seems probable a 6br case could also be made from .308 Win brass. But has anyone actually done this?
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

The 243 and 260 brass are the same except for neck diameter.
ywltzucanrknrl
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ywltzucanrknrl »

Bcloninger. I had a 6br built in the 1980's and I couldn't get brass for it, so I made brass from the Remington BR brass which was 308 with a small rifle primer. I also made brass from other 308 brass, but it didn't work as well because I think the Remington BR brass had thinner walls. It was not that hard, but time consuming and not a lot of ruined brass either. When I could get 6br brass after that it was the Remington brass with the long necks that needed about 1/4 trimmed off. All this brass had to be outside neck trimmed as the neck diameter chamber on my 6br was .262, so plenty of work and time, but if you like tinkering, it's Ok...HA!
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

ywltzucanrknrl wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:04 am Bcloninger. I had a 6br built in the 1980's and I couldn't get brass for it, so I made brass from the Remington BR brass which was 308 with a small rifle primer. I also made brass from other 308 brass, but it didn't work as well because I think the Remington BR brass had thinner walls. It was not that hard, but time consuming and not a lot of ruined brass either. When I could get 6br brass after that it was the Remington brass with the long necks that needed about 1/4 trimmed off. All this brass had to be outside neck trimmed as the neck diameter chamber on my 6br was .262, so plenty of work and time, but if you like tinkering, it's Ok...HA!
6BR sounds like way too much trouble to reload for.
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

DavidABQ wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:40 pm
ywltzucanrknrl wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:04 am Bcloninger. I had a 6br built in the 1980's and I couldn't get brass for it, so I made brass from the Remington BR brass which was 308 with a small rifle primer. I also made brass from other 308 brass, but it didn't work as well because I think the Remington BR brass had thinner walls. It was not that hard, but time consuming and not a lot of ruined brass either. When I could get 6br brass after that it was the Remington brass with the long necks that needed about 1/4 trimmed off. All this brass had to be outside neck trimmed as the neck diameter chamber on my 6br was .262, so plenty of work and time, but if you like tinkering, it's Ok...HA!
6BR sounds like way too much trouble to reload for.
All wildcat loads are trouble until they're not:

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSearchQ ... PerPage=48
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image