Tikka Build

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Tikka Build

Post by cslcAl »

The question was asked why, here’s my deal:

Once apron a time I was a strappin young man who was fearless, and a 308 with 190’s was just a toy to me. Fast forward 35 years, 2 knee replacements, 1 shoulder surgery; and don’t need that kind of fun anymore.
I had already decided I didn’t need my 10 lb guns anymore and was looking for a lighter option. I saw a picture in a magazine of the Tikka T3 Forest model, and it struck me how much the stock looked like a 1710 Anschutz. When they became available I bought one in a .260 Rem. Great gun, and I have used it for a few years. But after having shoulder surgery I decided to build a 6BR on a T3 Forest platform.
I happen to live 8 miles from Eurooptic, who is the sole distributor of the discontinued T3’s and they had like 3000 to choose from at reasonable prices. So I bought a 243 and sent it off to Mark Pharr for a rebarrel. Mark installed a Lilja barrel which is contoured from the factory to fit the T3 stock. 1-7 twist stainless at 26 in in length. The gun with a Leupold 6.5 X 20 in Kelby rings weighs exactly 8 lbs, and has a perfect balance.
I have tested and settled on Sierra 95 Gr TMK’s for C P T and 110 Sierra MK’s for Rams. both with Varget powder. Both loads shoot sub 1/2 in groups at 200 meters, and there is minimal recoil.
I have shot some embarrassing scores in the last few years, and I am confident this set up will allow me to shoot respectable scores, and have fun again. I may lose some Rams, but I’ll make up for that on the other 3 animals.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Tikka Build

Post by BCloninger »

How much truing did the T3 action need? What trigger (I'm assuming the T3 trigger, but we know how assume goes)? What brass and primer?

And yes, it's funny how age changes our understanding of a good time.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
GabbyJs
B Poster
B Poster

Post by GabbyJs »

Al,
I like the 95 gr. Sierras for the C,P and the 107 MK for turkeys. I run the 107 MK about 2600 fps in the 6 BR and find that it really cuts thru any kind of wind at 385 meters. I'm anxious to find out how the 110 Sierra MK does on rams. I heard that they were a softer bullet, intended more for paper targets. I use the 115 DTAC, and found that they will score about 80% on rams. They're going at a little less than 2700 fps with 29 grns. of Varget. The rams at CSCLC always seemed to be closer to 600 yds., and that might be a challenge.
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

BC;
The stock trigger is fine for me. I shoot 1000’s of rounds a year with Winchester and Marlin lever guns; so the Tikka trigger feels like an Anschutz to me. Not really, but I find them to be acceptable.
Lapua brass and CCI 450’s. I didn’t talk to Mark about truing the Action. I don’t get hung up on all that stuff. I don’t think it mattered the way this thing shoots off the bench for an 8 lb gun.

John;
We’ll see on the ram load. Mine are going 2809 with 30 grs of Varget. If you saw my ballistic chart the numbers look good. If it’s windy I’ll also use them on turkeys. Most likely the first match I’ll shoot will be in Phoenix in Feb. so it might be windy there.
Our rams at CSLC are like 520 meters.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Turkeys fall over easier than the pigs so why a different load? Just about any bullet 80 gr or more will dump the first 3.
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Thanks for the info, Al!

Post by BCloninger »

Al;

The closeout pricing on Tikka T3's makes them almost irresistible values for custom a build. It's even tempting to just hoard a Forrest for some future project, especially now that I know Lilja has a barrel properly contoured for the stock. Swap the barrel, bed it, and go shoot! For that matter, just clean the bore and go shoot.

It's good to hear someone else likes the Tikka trigger. There certainly are better triggers available, but my money is better spent on practice ammunition and components, and travel expenses. Adding a 6mm with a nice thick recoil pad sounds like a good idea to me just now.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

The Tikka T3 is a good rifle for the price. The only thing better would be if the T3 had a 2 stage trigger instead of a single stage trigger. The single stage trigger is the only thing that I wish I could change on my Sako 75.
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

Ken Green wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:11 pm The Tikka T3 is a good rifle for the price. The only thing better would be if the T3 had a 2 stage trigger instead of a single stage trigger. The single stage trigger is the only thing that I wish I could change on my Sako 75.
Barnard makes a 2 stage trigger made for it. I put one on mine. Love it. Unfortunately since I'm a lefty I couldn't find one with a safety so its a silhouette rifle now, not a hunter.

I hear they make a tikka now with a 2 stage, but its more of a tacticool rifle. Maybe you could swap out with one of those triggers.
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

Old Ranger: Could you post a link to the Barnard 2 stage trigger? Thanks Ken
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

The current importer of Barnard actions and triggers is http://www.whiddengunworks.com

They run about $350 now, it was better priced when MT Guns was importing them (about $250 is what I paid if I remember right). I did see a Facebook post by Timney saying they will start selling a T3/T3x 2 stage trigger starting January 2nd. I worked late today so couldn't stop by, but will stop by their place tomorrow and pick one up. Will let you know how it turns out.

Edit: they wont be released till shot show or right after. Review to come after I pick one up.
Last edited by thauglor on Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

I got mine thru whidden. Bix N Andy also make one, and theirs has a safety. But not for me since I'm a lefty. I think Dave Bonner from CO has a Bix N Andy. Come up for Iron Man and you can try mine out for sure (probably Dave's too).
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Old Ranger, have you considered a complete ground up custom rifle to replace your Tika?
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

DavidABQ wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:53 pm Old Ranger, have you considered a complete ground up custom rifle to replace your Tika?
Nope. Need one rifle for hunting and silhouetting. Can't get the room in the gun safe without selling something else I need. Unless you want to buy a scar 17 for 3500? Then I would have the funds and the room in the safe!

Oh, and the Tikka is more accurate then I am already, dunno we would get a ton more accuracy no matter what. I am considering having a stock made for it.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

A new custom stock is like halfway to a complete custom rifle. :-bd
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

DavidABQ wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:24 pm A new custom stock is like halfway to a complete custom rifle. :-bd
Yeah, but it doesn't take up any more room in the gun safe.