Rifle cant

This is what we do.
crsteven
B Poster
B Poster

Rifle cant

Post by crsteven »

If i cant my rifles left i am much steadier and i mean by a lot.. Do i adjust my anti cant device to show level when canted? Might i also change my scope so the crosshair is level when canted? My thought is the second is over kill. As long as i bench sight in canted my zeros should be good, thoughts?
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Rifle cant

Post by Jason »

I cant a couple degrees also. I don't use an anti-cant device, but I do have my scopes on both my smallbore and high power rifles turned so that the horizontal line in the reticle is level when I'm in position. It matters when you try to adjust for wind on really windy days or even if you are just holding off a bit.
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

I setup my scope to be horizontal/straight when I hold my rifle slightly tilted.

My smallbore and Target air rifle have a little bit of tilt but I hold my Tx200 nearly straight, it's just how it fits best for me.
Allen Corneau
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Hmmm, I was taught that canting a rifle was an incorrect way to shoot. I use a level to ensure my scope reticle is level when the top of my scope mounts are level. That way I can correct any canting.

If I was to cant a rifle I would setup the scope reticle to be horizontal while canting.

I guess I am not much help.
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

Here's a good thread where we hashed this out last year...

http://www.steelchickens.com/forums/vie ... =9&t=11747
Allen Corneau
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

acorneau wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:31 pm Here's a good thread where we hashed this out last year...

http://www.steelchickens.com/forums/vie ... =9&t=11747
I saw the title of this thread and thought for a second that one was back. Image

That thread is a great source of technical discussion that I do think is lacking in this particular shooting discipline. I wish we had more like that.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
crsteven
B Poster
B Poster

Post by crsteven »

That's a good discussion. Shooting a match on Saturday. Will try my more stable cant hold with level set to show that plumb and set zeros and windage and see what happens. In the spring I may try aligning scope crosshair to the level. I concentrate on the dot. Probably comes from bullseye pistol shooting. Don't really notice crosshair unless testing loads on the bench. Thanks
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Do you use the same cant when sighting in on the bags?
Hawkeye7br
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Hawkeye7br »

I shoot pistol silh with a xp, high rise scope mount, and 15x rifle scope. We're not allowed to touch our arms or gun to our body. My gun is canted significantly to avoid touching my chest or accidently touching arms to ribs. Scope is canted so I have a level crosshair. Not an issue, just shoot it, don't overthink it.

I also cant my P70 Junior a small bit to get the iron sights in front of my eye without bending into an inconsistent position.
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

Jerry G wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:08 am Do you use the same cant when sighting in on the bags?
For me, yes. If shooting from a rest or bags I keep the reticle level just as I would when shooting off-hand.
Allen Corneau
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

crsteven wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:30 pm That's a good discussion. Shooting a match on Saturday. Will try my more stable cant hold with level set to show that plumb and set zeros and windage and see what happens. In the spring I may try aligning scope crosshair to the level. I concentrate on the dot. Probably comes from bullseye pistol shooting. Don't really notice crosshair unless testing loads on the bench. Thanks
How did you do in the "Frosty Iron," Jan 21? Yes, I always cant and counter correct with scope. Sometime ago, I read about a fellow that had a huge obvious cant, and can't remember if he was a Master or not, but was an excellent shooter at some club.

I have had health issues in 2016 and 17, only shooting a few times on Thursday eves. Next, might be shoulder surgery and see the surgeon on the 14th. I sure miss everyone and if anything, plan to help with calling or being a general helper for the monthly Saturday Matches in 2018. I've attended 2 winter indoor paper practices with shoulder issue and will tough it out for the time being. It is really nice that you continue to come down from Lodi, WI., to shoot SB at our club. See you in 2018, for sure! Jon
LH CZ 452 Amer, Free Floated, FX-3 25X40, D3 Rings, TAC-22
https://www.beloitrifleclub.org/shootin ... ilhouette/
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

Anyone try canting the recoil pad? It achieves the effect of more comfortable hold while keeping the scope over the bore - where it belongs
- Joe
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

http://rulebooks.nra.org/documents/pdf/ ... r-book.pdf
OK for target air and open air but it does not appear that a canted buttplate is allowed for any of the other rifles.

NRA Rulebook:
Page 10. Rule 3.15.
3.15 Buttplates and Cheekpieces - A butt or buttplate having a curved
rear surface in which the depth of the curve exceeds 1/2 inch when measured
from a straight line drawn from the top to the bottom of the buttplate is prohibited.
Buttplates must be centered. Adjustable cheek pieces must be fixed and
sealed in place. See 3.4(f) regarding Black Powder Cartridge Rifle. Rule 3.15
does not apply to Target or Open class Air Rifles.