travel case for lever action

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

travel case for lever action

Post by snaketail2 »

Now that the weather is warming up - Well, it is here!- I'll be traveling to matches around Texas and other states.
I have a couple of inexpensive hard cases that are OK for transporting the 3 rifles. But I'd like a better case.
I won't be flying, only driving and I usually cover the cases so I can stop at restaurants along the way. (I wrap them with a cheap tarp and park where I can keep an eye on the truck.)
Any suggestions - that won't break the bank?

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: travel case for lever action

Post by Doodaddy »

Overall length of your rifles?
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

I believe the Winchester is 46", the Marlins are less.

Michael

Really trying hard to not make a joke here
Last edited by snaketail2 on Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
No1_49er
A Poster
A Poster

Post by No1_49er »

Pelican 1750. Cost? Depends how much you value your toys, I guess.
I custom cut the foam insert to hold my 3 Marlins without having to remove butt stocks. Very secure and robust - I've watched airline baggage handlers trying to make an impact with an assortment of "test methods". Has wheels on one end and fold down carry handle the other. Can also be carried like a suitcase with the center fold down handle. Room enough inside for cleaning rods, tools etc.
Some of my buddies use the shorter case (1700/1720) and remove the butt stocks to fit them in. Smaller but not quite as convenient. Same deal with their custom cut foam.

49er
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

You can cut the foam of a Pelican or Storm case or pay half the price and get pick and pluck foam from a Plano All Weather. I've owned both and vastly prefer the Plano case for convenience of the foam, the weight, and price as the protection of the Plano is more than ample.

I will concede that the Pelican/Storm cases are "better", but unless you plan on mailing the rifles or flying with them, the added protection is lost on the consumer. I don't say any of this to talk down on the Pelican/Storm cases; I just regret having bought one as it was gratuitous in protection and cost when I could have allocated those funds elsewhere since the case was just used to carry the rifle from my house to my car to the range. Your mileage may vary.

I asked about length as the 42" variant of the below case is $55.

Plano Double Scoped Rifle Case w/Wheels 51.5" internal length $107.74

snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Thanks Doodaddy -
That is perfect and within budget.
Michael
44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by 44 mag »

I just bought a Pelican 3300. I cut the top foam so all 3 guns fit in it. Very sturdy and has wheels to pull behind you if you want. Got it a Cabelas for $199.00. Mike
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

snaketail2 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:01 am Thanks Doodaddy -
That is perfect and within budget.
Michael
I've been meaning to get one and put all three of my rifles in it.
44 mag wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:08 am I just bought a Pelican 3300. I cut the top foam so all 3 guns fit in it. Very sturdy and has wheels to pull behind you if you want. Got it a Cabelas for $199.00. Mike
That's the one I had. Was a great case and that's a fantastic price. I lost the case in a sale when I moved my benchrest rig. I just included it in the price because I had no other way of reasonably shipping an entire rifle. :((
DJA
B Poster
B Poster

Post by DJA »

I use one of these for travel: https://www.natchezss.com/skb-i-series- ... -case.html
I have a divider in mine that lets me put the skinny lever guns in two layers. It's a big honking case, but nice to be able to move four rifles in one wheeled package.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

I want to thank Doodaddy for the suggestion of a 42" case. It fits my 39A and my Ducks Unlimited 25-20 perfectly. I haven't removed any foam yet, I'll save that for a rainy day.

Michael
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

snaketail2 wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:14 am I want to thank Doodaddy for the suggestion of a 42" case. It fits my 39A and my Ducks Unlimited 25-20 perfectly. I haven't removed any foam yet, I'll save that for a rainy day.

Michael

Glad to hear it! I need to pick up another for my Rossi 92 and 30-30, but I think I may be making a change on the 30-30 front so I don't want to commit just yet. I'm jonesing for a 26" Winchester something fierce. ImageImage
pastorcurtis
Unclassified Poster

Post by pastorcurtis »

On sale now at Cabela's for $90. I just picked this up and it holds 2 lever action guns with room to spare. Approved for air travel, too.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS ... 196896.uts