Henry in 44-40 for CLA loads ok?

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
emmettva
B Poster
B Poster

Henry in 44-40 for CLA loads ok?

Post by emmettva »

Going to try the 44-40 figure 8 -8.5 grains Unique over 200 grain cast which, while soft load, is very accurate in my rifle for c and p. I presume it will take the pig down at 100 m, yes? Currently don't have any place to practice on full-sized footed critters and season starts real soon
For turkeys and rams stepping up to a heavier and faster load-- 240 grain bullet over 23.5 grains re7. close to 1290 at muzzle, Based on calculations less wind drift at 150 m for t & should topple the ram at 200m, but--that is theory. Any input? I presume blackpowder loads in the 44-40 altho legal probably wont take the t, r down due to lower velocities/higher drift in wind
I have a 45-70 Marlin that i can try with 300--350 grain loads over either Unique or Trail Boss as a backup if consensus is the 44-40 with is overmatched . Thanks.
DAVIDMAGNUM
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Henry in 44-40 for CLA loads ok?

Post by DAVIDMAGNUM »

Do not listen to the naysayers, load-em up and have fun!
I shoot an 1873 Uberti-Winchester with a 24" barrel in 44WCF. I am AAA in CLA with this rifle.

The Reloader 7 loads will knock over 200 meter rams unless they are hard set or have a breeze to their backs. If they are hard set and/or there is a wind fighting you it will still most likely knock them down. You may have to hit them "high", as in above the center line on the body. A lot will depend on how much they weigh at the club you are shooting, the size of the pedestals, how they are set, wind direction, phase of the moon, how you are holding your mouth......... You will most likely not have trouble, but there is only one way to find out. From personal experience I can say that you do not have to worry.
In MY rifle 240 grain Desperado Cowboy Bullets over 23.5 grains of Reloader 7 clocked at 1350fps. That load also gave a low extreme spread and standard deviation.

Good Luck
Let us know how you do.
Any questions? Post a reply or P.M. me. I am not an expert but I love the caliber!
In the days of old when men were bold, and a quarter was still worth a dime.
Maryland's Eastern Shore
DAVIDMAGNUM
A Poster
A Poster

Post by DAVIDMAGNUM »

Where do you shoot CLA ?

I have family outside of Lynchburg, I may just have to shoot with you one day! :-bd
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

I have no personal experience with this round but many shooters are using 45 colt and 44 mag with good results on rams. But ya got to hit em first!
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

Why would you handicap yourself with a cartridge that is ballistically challenged at CLA ranges? Wind drift is going to eat you alive. Then there’s the transonic effect and bullet instability when you go from 1290 muzzle to “maybe” 900 fps at the ram line. I calculate your ram line velocity to be about 870 fps and your holdover about 5 feet.

But hey, load them up and see what you get. The real test is being able to hit a ram 10 out of 10 shots from the bench.
- Joe
DAVIDMAGNUM
A Poster
A Poster

Post by DAVIDMAGNUM »

DAVIDMAGNUM wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:35 pm I shoot an 1873 Uberti-Winchester with a 24" barrel in 44WCF. I am AAA in CLA with this rifle.

I wrote the above not to brag, but to show what the 44WCF is capable of in CLA. Again, I have not "dinged" a 200 meter full sized ram in recent memory .
If the firearm you have is 44WCF try it, you may love it. I have seen the video of John Kort shooting the same cartridge and hitting the 300 meter pigs without trouble.

IF I ever have the time and luck to get my Winchester 1894 in 38-55 shooting well I may switch to it one day. I have an 1886 Winchester in 45-70 and a 405 grain bullet starting at 1500fps will make a ram jump and fall. But the heavy rifle adding fatigue along with the recoil kept my scores low and I was losing interest. The 44WCF cured both. It may not work for everyone or in every match situation, but I firmly believe that if it is the rifle you have.....go for it.
Maryland's Eastern Shore
emmettva
B Poster
B Poster

Post by emmettva »

David i went to a nearby IHMSA big bore match this weekend where they kindly let me shoot my first full size targets under match conditions and the 44-40 easily outperformed the 45-70 for me -- only problem was they had to prop the rams up due to killer winds blowing them over (range apparently faces east)-- so i dont know if the ram load would have worked on all the rams but i did knock 1 for 1 footed ram over at another range so the old 44-40 may ring a few or maybe even many rams but the fun factor of using and reloading the magazine of an iron frame henry was reward enough. The pistoleros came over afterwards and asked me to recite my loads for the 44-40, so who knows what has been started.
DAVIDMAGNUM
A Poster
A Poster

Post by DAVIDMAGNUM »

emmettva wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:19 am .... but the fun factor of using and reloading the magazine of an iron frame Henry was reward enough. The pistoleros came over afterwards and asked me to recite my loads for the 44-40, so who knows what has been started.
Love it !

I shot CLA Saturday in Pennsylvania and for the first time in a few years.....I "dung" a ram. I hit the ram just above the front leg on the edge with what everyone agreed was less than half a bullet. Didn't hurt my feelings one little bit. The fun of shooting the 1873 Uberti with black powder is beyond measure. I love the comments from other shooters. The ones that know what I am shooting pretend they are gagging and coughing. I had a new shooter last year walk down the line looking the "the guy shooting the Howitzer". ( black powder booms )
Even when I don't do my best my batteries still get charged !
I won't get into the degenerate gun loving friends I have made up north. :roll:
Maryland's Eastern Shore