Sight question

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
21step
B Poster
B Poster

Sight question

Post by 21step »

I'm not trying to raise a debate but I just found out about the rule revision last year to allow the little apeture hole type insert in the front globes of our lever actions.

My question is; are they any better than a blade or lollipop?

Does anyone here have any good experience with them?
I put one in last night and looked at my swingers and had a hard time finding them. Granted they need painted again but it seemed to be some struggle to figure out where I was on the animal.

Any opinions?

Adam
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Sight question

Post by BrentD »

I do not use them In lever action, but in BPCR I can't imagine being without them. They are far more precise, but I'm not motivated to mess with my levers and prefer them just as they are.
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Adam,

Sounds like you answered your own question.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
frankmako
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by frankmako »

I have played around with them and did not like them. I couldn't tell where I was on the target.
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

I started to experiment with them last year as well as a few other people that I shoot with. I found that the standard ones you can purchase on the 'cards' don't have the right diameter hole or annulus (material around the outside of the hole) I bought some special ones from Distant Thunder
http://www.distantthunderbpcr.com/DTPag ... eSheet.htm so far here's what I found. Let me clarify that I'm 75 years old and wear glasses and my eyes to say the least are tired.
The best results I've had are with a hole diameter at least big enough to get 75% of the animal in it and a annulus thin enough to see the rest of the animal outside the inner circle. From my prospective this seems to be working for me. I'm not in the expert class of shooters but for my game it has made a difference. I relate what I see to that of what 'bombardier' would see looking through the sights of a WWII vintage aircraft sight.
Others I have talked to are using another method of just seeing the animal in the hole. This didn't work for me.
PPKNY
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

ppkny,
That is an interesting, and different way of going about it. Normally, one wants the entire target inside the circle with ample room to spare. And then the annulus should be thick enough that you benefit from the pin-hole camera effect enough to sharpen one's focus.

But whatever works for you, works for you.
44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by 44 mag »

Adam, I tried all different sizes of them and could not get any of them to work. As you said i could not determine where i was at on the target. My dad messed with some as small 60 and 90 thousands and he finialy gave up on them also. I thought they would have been a good thing but not for me or any others i have talked to about them that have tried them. Mike Haynes
DJA
B Poster
B Poster

Post by DJA »

My experience matches PPKNY's, and I have switched all three guns over to front apertures. Note that Lyman inserts did not work for me. The annulus is way too thick making it hard to center on the animal, as others have pointed out. The thin Lee Shavers work much better for me. It also took a while to find a consistent sight picture. It's not as simple as hold the dot center mass or hold concentric rings of light on nice round bullseye targets. I like the medium and large size apertures best where the bird targets appear smaller than the aperture. There's no getting lost on the animal, and if I break the shot with most of the aperture full of animal, the target will fall. It required a mindset change as it's not so much about "centering" as it is about maximizing the exposed target area within the aperture window. An interesting side effect is that I'm using a lot more of the pig than I used to. Since the chubby pig pretty much fills the aperture, being a little off center doesn't change the sight picture much.
jnyork
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by jnyork »

I tried with several different apertures but wound up putting the post back in. Wouldn't work for me.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

DJA wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:31 am My experience matches PPKNY's, and I have switched all three guns over to front apertures. Note that Lyman inserts did not work for me. The annulus is way too thick making it hard to center on the animal, as others have pointed out. The thin Lee Shavers work much better for me.
Which of the Lee Shaver inserts are you using? I noticed that there are two different insert cards for the Lyman 17A front sights.

This one is an assortment of various types of inserts.
http://stores.leeshavergunsmithing.com/ ... sert-card/

This one is all round apertures of various sizes.
http://stores.leeshavergunsmithing.com/ ... ures-only/

It looks like the round aperture inserts on the first "assorted" card has thinner wires than the inserts on the "round apertures only" card. It's hard to tell from small pictures on the website, though.
DJA
B Poster
B Poster

Post by DJA »

Jason wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:09 am Which of the Lee Shaver inserts are you using? I noticed that there are two different insert cards for the Lyman 17A front sights.
I'm using the ones from the "assorted" card.
No1_49er
A Poster
A Poster

Post by No1_49er »

From the various posts, it seems that some of you are struggling with the round aperture and appropriate size selection. Without adding to that discussion, I have just been reading my Spring edition of 'the Black Powder Cartridge news' and was most interested in an article about square apertures. Yep, you read that right; square!
Track done a copy (issue # 101) and read page 43, and the rest of the good stuff in there. Seems to have some merit that might be worth trialling. If it's no good, we just go back to what still suites us best.

49er
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

The rules say round.
ppkny
No1_49er
A Poster
A Poster

Post by No1_49er »

Indeed they do; for lever action silhouette. But there are other disciplines.

49er