Which youth starter rifle?

This is what we do.
Jim Mc
B Poster
B Poster

Which youth starter rifle?

Post by Jim Mc »

Just wondering what would make a good starter rifle for a 10 to 12 year old? The only new one that comes to mind is the CZ-455 scout. I’m sure many of you have gone down this road before and your thoughts and or working knowledge on the subject would be a big help for me.
Jim Mc
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Which youth starter rifle?

Post by acorneau »

My first thought on a starter rifle for a child is an air rifle.

This gives the opportunity for the parent to judge the child's level of instructability/maturity, cover all the bases for rifle fundamentals, and is much less of a chance for those eventual mistakes that will happen to be severely damaging or catastrophic to life or property.
Allen Corneau
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

A Ruger 10/22. They make a youth model and since parts are plentiful you can replace the stock easily as the child grows.
With accessories being plentiful you can spend a ridiculous amount of money on it to make it special for the young man or young lady.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

Starter rifle in general or for SB silhouette?

A certain dude with a certain clan of silhouette shooting children has started them out on several different rifles, the youngest was on a CZ scout.

I'd say the rifle you already own if it's light enough and has a short enough LOP for them to get behind.

If you mean in general, a 10-22....
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Reply deleted.
Last edited by atomicbrh on Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MOTO VITA
A Poster
A Poster

Post by MOTO VITA »

I suggest buying a CZ 452 American (which are readily available), then buying a take off 452 Scout stock for it. Then you'll have the full size stock for when the kid(s) are ready for it.
I would never even consider starting a young shooter with any kind of semi automatic!
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Did CZ change either of the setups for the CZ452 models? When I was last in the market for a kid starter rifle, the American had two action screws and the others had one action screw and one screw into a block dovetailed into the bottom of the barrel. I have a Scout and a Varmint, both of which have only the single action screw in use currently.
CWS
A Poster
A Poster

Post by CWS »

Psteiger has more recent experience and could give you some good advice. My experiences (2---and that's a nice way to say 'daughters') were pretty much in line with Pat's and Tommy Peery. Let 'em climb trees, kick the dog, ask questions... whatever... until they WANT to shoot. Then start 'em out on the bench with something that fits or is at least close to it. Mine started with the Chipmunk but that didn't last long... then a Rem 581 that I built a stock for... then an Anschutz Woodchuck... then a 1416... From there it went downhill in a hurry, ending with Christmas cards from Dieter and 6-7 cases/yr of Eley.

You want a bolt gun. A semi auto has the making of a runaway and, at the very least, is not conducive to the "one shot X 40 times" training needed for our exuberant youth. It's frightening to realize that this advice is almost 30yrs old. Better ask Pat.
hermit5
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by hermit5 »

This may be a little off topic,forgive me.
At the Ridgway Rifle Club there used to be a rifle called “The Green Hornet”that was passed around for new youngshooters to get into the silhouette game.
I don’t know whose it was or what it was,but many kids got started with it.
Maybe someone can tell more about it.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

The Savage Rascal is cheap but shoots well and is very light.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
ShootingStar
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ShootingStar »

I wonder about the Ruger American Rimfire.
Is it any good? It has some adjustment, but will it be short enough and have good enough trigger?

Just throwing one more idea out for someone with experience to chime in on!
pistolero45
A Poster
A Poster

Post by pistolero45 »

I recommend the CZ Scout. Our daughter, then age 11, started on a CZ 452 Scout. When she got older we got her a CZ 452 American, which she loves and is still shooting. Best of all, she shoots high AAA scores with the CZ as it really is an excellent firearm.
Mark
Jim Mc
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Jim Mc »

Thanks for all the great reply's !!
All good info and exactly what I was looking for. I'll do some more looking at the new CZ 455 Scout.

Jim Mc
eeleater
B Poster
B Poster

Post by eeleater »

Jim.

I believe we talked at the match in Columbia Last week. I was going to call you, but found I did not have your number.

The offer to try the Anchutz Woodchucker still stands.
It does have a scope mounted, a Leupold 6.5 x 20 EFR with a 1/2 min dot.

The Woodchucker is 32 in long, and weights 4 lb 14 oz with the scope The rifle alone is 3 lb 12 oz.

The scope looks huge on such a small rifle.
Jim Mc
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Jim Mc »

eeleater wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:32 pm Jim.

I believe we talked at the match in Columbia Last week. I was going to call you, but found I did not have your number.

The offer to try the Anchutz Woodchucker still stands.
It does have a scope mounted, a Leupold 6.5 x 20 EFR with a 1/2 min dot.

The Woodchucker is 32 in long, and weights 4 lb 14 oz with the scope The rifle alone is 3 lb 12 oz.

The scope looks huge on such a small rifle.
Jeff, check your PM's....
Thank you for the offer! and yes the young lady and her father said they would like to try the woodchuck. They can't make the April match but that will give them time to try some shooting from the bench as you had suggested. I bet that 6.5x20 looks like an old Unertl on that Woodchucker :D .