44 Magnum Pistol Caliber Loads

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
tnchicknsnipr
B Poster
B Poster

Re: 44 Magnum Pistol Caliber Loads

Post by tnchicknsnipr »

Check out the Henry Big Boy Steel. It has a 20 inch barrel but is very accurate. My wife and I shoot this for pc and cla. Prices are about 725 to 750 for a new rifle. A lot of marlin and Winchester owners will go with their brand if you can find one in good shape. Parts could be a problem for older guns. Henry breaks call them and parts on the way. Ours like 125 berry plated running around 1175 fps. Have shot 1 inch groups at 40 meters off the bench.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

The Uberti's are nice guns but the price can be scary. Many are sitting on the racks at your local gun store for years and you may be able to haggle a deal on one. The .22 mag is a good gun to start with if you already have one. But it will "get in your head" like Jason said when you ring rams.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dhatch »

I have a Uberti with a 24” octagon barrel in .357. I am very happy with fit, balance and accuracy. The one thing that I was unhappy with was the factory trigger pull. It literally was 7 1/2 pounds.
Yep. It was pricey, but it does look good. Be prepared to do a trigger job yourself or pay for it. I paid another $130.00 for another trigger and spring. I put that in and it brought the pull down to 3 1/2 pounds. That is much better but I’m not satisfied with it. I’m not sure of my next step with it. I’m seriously considering honing it myself.
Has anyone any input concerning this? Thanks.
Proud Member of the C. C. S. A.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I'm using a Cimarron 1873 with a Williams FP rear sight and a Lyman 17A front sight.It still needs some work on the trigger, but it shoots very well.
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

I am using a Henry Big Boy in .357 magnum with a 20 inch octagon barrel. I am very well pleased with the rifle. I don't have any problems taking down all of the PC animals with a 125 grain bullet. The 125 grain bullet will also take down the big bore chicken, pig and turkey. I also have some 158 grain loads if needed for the turkey. I think I have found a load for a 200 grain bullet for the 200 yard big bore ram.
Raudy
Unclassified Poster

Post by Raudy »

Just a quick note on the 1 in 38 twist rate 44 mag. I had to go with the 200 gr Lee round nose, a bullet any longer will not stabilize in the 1/38 twist. Why Henry and Marlin went with 1/38 is a mystery. Henrys 357 mag, 41 mag, and 45 LC are all around 1/20, WHY 1/38 for the 44 mag????
GabbyJs
B Poster
B Poster

Post by GabbyJs »

I use a Marlin 1894 Cowboy chambered for .44 Mag. in the PC Silhouette Competition. I use 5.5 gns. of W231 or HP 38 with a Lazer Cast 240 gr. RNFP bullet (.431 Dia.) for chickens and pigs, and 6.5 gns. of the same powders and bullet for the turkeys and rams. I use the lighter load on c & p, mainly for lighter recoil and less target damage. I was amazed to find that using CCI-BR2 Rifle primers provided much better accuracy than standard pistol and rifle primers. I like the .44 Marlin 24" Cowboy for the balance and feel, which compliments my Marlin 336 Cowboy in .38-55 for the CLA. I have an 1894 Marlin CL in .32-30, which shoots great, but does not offer the same weight and feel as the heavier 24" Cowboy. I would certainly like to have an 1894 Cowboy in .357 Mag. with a 24" barrel to try, but can't justify the prices that they now command.
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

TomJ,
I don't want to hijack this thread it's about 44 mag but I'm shooting a older Rossi 357Mag w/24" Octagon barrel that I acquired a few years ago. They don't make them anymore but it's a real shooter and cheap to feed.
ppkny