Leupold 50 ft. focus adapter

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Leupold 50 ft. focus adapter

Post by DavidABQ »

I have one on my FX-3 25x40 and it works great but I need to focus at a closer distance. Does anyone know if you can stack those adapters to focus at perhaps half that distance or a bit less?
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Leupold 50 ft. focus adapter

Post by acorneau »

While researching the 50' adapter for my own purposes I came across a mention that you could stack them but I don't remember how much it changes the focus.

I recently changed the AO focus range on my mid 80's Leupold so I could get 25 yards at the minimum and it just barely gets me out to 100 meters at maximum. If all you need is a little bit more/less then it may be something to consider. All it takes is a simple tool (which you can buy or make yourself) and a bench/rest where you can see the distance you're trying to get to.

It was a little scary a first but it's really not that hard once you get into it.
Allen Corneau
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Thanks Acorneau but I need a fairly large reduction to try and dry fire in my garage.
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

If you're that close just change out the adapter for a bayonet!
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

I have stacked them in the past to shoot indoors at 28ft. It worked fine.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I believe that the newer style (post-2004?) of 50-foot adapters can't be stacked, or at least they couldn't a few years ago. The screw threads on the two ends of the adapter were different, so I had to use one of the newer style 50-foot adapters to screw into the scope and then one of the older style 50-foot adapters (part number 31682) to screw into the newer style 50-foot adapter. Leupold may have changed the threads in the front of the newer style of 50-foot adapter over the past couple of years, but if they haven't then two of them can't be stacked together.

I originally learned this thanks to Ter in a thread from 2010 here, and it has been discussed a couple times since then.

http://www.steelchickens.com/forums/vie ... 30&p=37939
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

OldRanger wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:42 am If you're that close just change out the adapter for a bayonet!
=))
I need how to figure how did a bayonet to my 1712 for Nationals. That will make a few people laugh.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Jason and Mr. Am, thank you for the information. I guess I need to try a pre-2004 to see if it will attach to my post- 2004 adapter.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

I would use duct tape Dave, it works for everything.. By the way, you can tape the 50 adapters together if the threads don't match.
No1_49er
A Poster
A Poster

Post by No1_49er »

DavidABQ wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:16 am Thanks Acorneau but I need a fairly large reduction to try and dry fire in my garage.
If you are only dry firing, why not track down somebody's large through-out (figurative, not literal) mirror. Then you could shoot the target set up beside you? Should double the you-mirror distance. Just a thought.