Tikka T3x barrel contours

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
snipes
B Poster
B Poster

Tikka T3x barrel contours

Post by snipes »

I'm kicking around the idea of getting into the HP Silhouette game now that I'm hooked on the rimfire version. I'm leaning towards picking up a factory T3x in some flavor and eventually swapping out the stock. I can't find any details on the barrel contours on the various models. The Lite seems like the obvious choice, but am interested in some of the heavier barrel options as well such as the CTR or one of the laminated / camo stainless models.

No idea if this rifle will eventually become a dedicated Silhouette rig or serve multiple roles such as a prone rifle. I'd like to focus on more of an all rounder right now. I'm still relatively young and don't really hunt so overall weight isn't a big concern as long as I can still use it in both standard and hunter classes. Leaning heavily towards 6.5 Creedmoor with one of the longer barrel lengths.

So to sum it up, any information the various barrel contours among the different T3x models and applicability to Silhouette competition would be helpful.

TIA
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Tikka T3x barrel contours

Post by Jerry G »

This isn't answering your contour question but;

Any of the 6.5's would be a great choice for an all-around gun.
HP Sil hunter max weight is a factor while looking at a heavy contour.
You may need different stocks and different scope height for sil and prone rifle.
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

I'll take measurements of the T3x I have for sale on the classified section here. It weighs 8.05lbs with the scope pictured and 7.1lbs without althe rail or scope.
snipes
B Poster
B Poster

Post by snipes »

Jerry G wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:48 am This isn't answering your contour question but;

Any of the 6.5's would be a great choice for an all-around gun.
HP Sil hunter max weight is a factor while looking at a heavy contour.
You may need different stocks and different scope height for sil and prone rifle.
Good point Jerry and most likey you are correct with the ring heights.
snipes
B Poster
B Poster

Post by snipes »

thauglor wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:49 am I'll take measurements of the T3x I have for sale on the classified section here. It weighs 8.05lbs with the scope pictured and 7.1lbs without althe rail or scope.
Much appreciated Zoran. I did see your post and if I wasn't really leaning towards the CM I'd be giving yours a good look.
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

Tikka T3 lite barrel diameters
Muzzle: 16.1mm (0.633")
Next to receiver: 28.5mm (1.125")
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

If cost is a factor I would go with .260 Rem. I bought .243 Win lapua brass (their lowest cost brass of any caliber) then necked it up to 260. The 6.5 CM brass is pricey and hard to find sometimes.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member