A few thoughts on the recent Small bore Silhoutte Nationals

This is what we do.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

A few thoughts on the recent Small bore Silhoutte Nationals

Post by DavidABQ »

I have been thinking about how the recent small bore silhouette nationals compare to the others at the Whittington Center I have attended since 2012.

First off I feel it was the best of of the nationals that I have attended at NRAWC. The broken rifle rack over by the ram line was finally re welded and the PA system worked the entire time. Small details? Perhaps but it was very nice change of pace to hear the commands while on the firing line.

Check-in was well organized with rulebooks available to everyone, a nice touch when, during the course of the matches, a question comes up the rule book is at hand to be queried. With the exception of the team awards the other awards were on hand, I cannot say that of the last nationals held at the NRAWC.

The range master is also to be commended. He may have been abrasive but he succeeded in getting all the matches in prior to the afternoon monsoonal rain showers.

I had more fun at this year's nationals than I have at the others. It was a smoothly run championship.

Thank you Ms.Ring and thank you to your crew.
Mrahe01
Unclassified Poster

Re: A few thoughts on the recent Small bore Silhoutte Nationals

Post by Mrahe01 »

This was my 2nd Raton Nationals and I agree that the overall experience was good. The registration process was painless and speedy. I enjoyed the awards dinner and think it was a nice addition, although I also agree that the awards were lacking. It would be nice to see some range improvements in the way of more sidewalks and shelters. The matches seemed to run smoothly, but start times were slow at times and with weather pending, I felt that we could have started on time or possibly earlier with some planning. I give kudos to the staff and volunteers and appreciate you all!
lijeboy
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by lijeboy »

Thank you, David, for the kind words. You made our day today.
~Jeanne Ring

It's always something.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

I thought the match ran quite well and the man calling the matches was very consistent and good, but a bit abrasive a time or 2 but I got over that real fast. My only complaint is the big rocks we have to walk through to change positions. A little range maitanance would be nice.
Hotrodrockets
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Hotrodrockets »

The Match was awesome.
The people running the match were great.
The area around Raton is interesting. Next time I will bring my family if I can.

I just wish I did not suck so bad at Silhouette! But you always learn a lot watching the truly great shooters.
Tennessee Sports Foundation President / Metallic Silhouette Society
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

On the subject of improvements made by the Whittington center I would love to see the concrete pad that the firing line sits on extend back an additional 10 feet or so. Additional shade would be greatly appreciated.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Dave if the family isn't afraid of heights Mesa Verde is a must see.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member