Vintage Barrel Reline

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Vintage Barrel Reline

Post by edgehit »

Who’s had success? Who’s been unhappy with having a 100 yr old levergun barrel relined? I’m debating having this done to improve accuracy of a 100% original 1892 takedown that has 30% rifling and 60% original finish including receiver blue. Wood is unmolested and good condition. No splits or bad dings.
- Joe
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Re: Vintage Barrel Reline

Post by cedestech »

From what I have read (no experience) 22LR works fairly well, center fire is hit and miss (litteraly). The pressures are higher and it's much harder to keep the larger bore perfect so you end up with a liner with tight and loose spots in the bore which is horrible for accuracy.... or at least that is what I have read. If you want the gun for anything more then a wall hanger it may be your only option though.

If you go that route, please, post details.

:)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

edgehit wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:13 pm Who’s had success? Who’s been unhappy with having a 100 yr old levergun barrel relined? I’m debating having this done to improve accuracy of a 100% original 1892 takedown that has 30% rifling and 60% original finish including receiver blue. Wood is unmolested and good condition. No splits or bad dings.
I relined a Marlin 1893 in .38-55. Infinitely better. Actually, a very good shooter out to 200 yds on paper.
JohnHenry
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by JohnHenry »

Brent, I've had two barrels relined: a 32-20 and 25-20. Both are 1894 Marlins. Interestingly, the 25-20 has a 26" barrel and the gunsmith found the barrel was bent when he went to drill out the old rifling. Of course, he straightened it before relining. Both barrels shoot well, 100% better than before.
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

I have a relined 1894 Marlin as well in .38-40. The only real downside to relining is that I have no excuses when my scores are bad. None at all. Something to keep in mind. :wink:
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Post by CamP »

Hey Joe, are you talking about your 25-20? What about reboring to .32 or .38, or do you want to maintain the .25-20 for originality?
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

I’m sticking with the 1/4 bore. It’s ballistically superior to all other CF calibers in terms of flat shooting. Plus there’s very little recoil to detract from my natural flinch :))
- Joe
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Post by CamP »

Didn't look you were flinching today at Halton City. Congrats on the 39!
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

39! See, I told you practicing just develops bad habits.
Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
shootmore
A Poster
A Poster

Post by shootmore »

who is the best barrel re-liner?