What power scope are you using?

This is what we do.
shooterer
B Poster
B Poster

What power scope are you using?

Post by shooterer »

and do you change the power setting between banks of animals?

I use a 20x at all distances.
Stand up for what is right.... even if you stand alone.
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: What power scope are you using?

Post by acorneau »

My smallbore rifle has a boosted Leupold which I run around 30X. I had played with running 24X for Chickens and Pigs then boosting up for Turkeys and Rams but lately I've been just leaving it at ~30X.

Both my air rifles have 24X scopes, one is variable but it stays on 24X.
Allen Corneau
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

Full power 18X on Standard rifle and fixed 25X with a 3/8 minute dot on the Hunter. If I had extra cash I'd replace the 18X that I simply had in my inventory with another 25X so my brain doesn't get uncoordinated with changing the magnification.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
jbzeus
B Poster
B Poster

Post by jbzeus »

I use 6-24 Sightrons at 20X for C&P and 24X for T &R. I have 30X scopes I plan to move to in the near future. The extra power might be distracting with the movement but in actuality the movement is the same in lower powers but it isn't as visible to the eye.

I think for most people a 6-20X variable is a good choice. You can start off low and work up to higher power as your skill increases. I was a position shooter using a 20X so moving over to this game I quickly progressed to the higher end of magnification.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

If the NRA sil div would get modern, we would have the data from the nationals on the equipment survey along with all the other data they have. Hell, I can't even get them to answer my e-mail to them. It has been way over a year and I re-ask every several months. I thought getting rid of the old drill sgt would move them into the computer age but I guess I was wrong.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Jerry G wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:05 am If the NRA sil div would get modern, we would have the data from the nationals on the equipment survey along with all the other data they have. Hell, I can't even get them to answer my e-mail to them. It has been way over a year and I re-ask every several months. I thought getting rid of the old drill sgt would move them into the computer age but I guess I was wrong.
I've gotten quick responses to all of my emails that I've sent in the last year or so regarding things that go along with being a match director. Maybe the problem is with the email being sent instead of the recipient(s). If you're this passionate about making things better, Jerry, maybe you can volunteer to help them out. They may even let you be head of the complaints department. Your experience in that area would surely meet the qualification requirements. =))
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

Jerry G wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:05 am If the NRA sil div would get modern, we would have the data from the nationals on the equipment survey along with all the other data they have...
Nationals equipment survey results were posted a month ago right here...

http://www.steelchickens.com/forums/vie ... 877#p96790
Allen Corneau
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

I am using a ordinary Leupold FX 3 in a straight 25 power. I would love to get another. I only have 2 of them and I would love to have a third scope.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Jason, It is trying to find out what year a rule change was made. Has nothing to do with any complaining about the way they run things. I even gave them a close guess on my part as to what year it was made.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Jerry G wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:40 pm Jason, It is trying to find out what year a rule change was made. Has nothing to do with any complaining about the way they run things. I even gave them a close guess on my part as to what year it was made.
:-ss
Hotrodrockets
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Hotrodrockets »

About 16x. depending on my mood. I adjust my cheap scope down to hide my wobble sometimes.
Tennessee Sports Foundation President / Metallic Silhouette Society
frankmako
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by frankmako »

I use a old elpaso steel weaver t-16.
ShootingStar
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ShootingStar »

I use a 18-40 Premier boosted Leupold (originally 6.5-20, EFR Air Rifle Scope) set around 32 - 40. Depending on the day's wobble, not depending on the animal.

ShootingStar - aka Greg Chandler