Classification Changes

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
jbolt
A Poster
A Poster

Classification Changes

Post by jbolt »

Sorry if this has been discussed recently. I have not had much time to follow the boards this past year. Wondering if there is any update on possible changes to the classifications, score books etc.
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Classification Changes

Post by acorneau »

I have not heard any discussion at all about changing any part of the classification system. What makes you think there would be a change in the works?
Allen Corneau
jbolt
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jbolt »

A few years ago the NRA made rumblings of changing the silhouette classification system over to the reporting system like is done with most other NRA competitions. Just wondering if it is getting any traction.
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

The fact that we haven't heard anything in a while probably means that the idea has faded away. I could be completely wrong and there could be a change right around the corner from those on high at the NRA, but I personally doubt it.
Allen Corneau
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

I seem to remember Jerry complaining about the idea of name changes to the classifications. I suspect the NRA is going to do make the name change and tell silhouette shooters to love it or leave the sport. They forced silhouette shooters into conformance regarding scoring. They got rid of the third party scorers this year.

A name change is easy. I am concerned that next year or the year after they will do away with the target setters in a bid to divert more funds into other activities.
jbolt
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jbolt »

This was one of the discussions about this from a few years ago. http://www.steelchickens.com/forums/vie ... f=9&t=9980

As of last year I had not seen any major update to the NRA website regarding competitions nor I have I seen anything further in the NRA mags about changes but I'm not close to any insiders. I don't even know who is running the silhouette department at the NRA anymore. When dealing with an NRA FUBAR last year I dealt with some gal who was not very pleasant. I always found Greg a pleasure to deal with.
Last edited by jbolt on Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

I believe all of that went away when Dennis Willing left as the head of competitive shooting.

Dennis was VERY helpful with the Air Rifle Silhouette Nationals but apparently he had some problems too.

Dustin
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

dustinflint wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:54 am I believe all of that went away when Dennis Willing left as the head of competitive shooting.

Dustin
I had not thought of that. Maybe it is dead.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Do you think we can get it put back on the table and have the NRA make the name change?
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

No! Screw that noise. Let it go. Who needs or wants it to change. I don't.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
jbolt
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jbolt »

DavidABQ wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:54 am They forced silhouette shooters into conformance regarding scoring. They got rid of the third party scorers this year.
What does this mean? I assume it has to do with the nationals?

I honestly could care less if the classification names changed or not. More of a concern was getting rid of the book scoring system and going to the reporting system. I know they have been having problems with getting paid for books. Either match directors not remitting payment or the NRA themselves loosing them. That is why they floated the letter last year of possibly making us pre-pay for books and then refunding for what we don't sell. If that happens then I will just take pre-orders and anyone who doesn't pay upfront is out of luck.

If they eventually move to the reporting system then our club will just move to a club match and not deal with the NRA scoring.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Never had any problems with the present book system of recording scores.
The reporting system will in the long run cost a lot more money than the book system.
There will have to be at least one administrative person to manage that influx of weekly record keeping.
While with the present system the scores just stay in the individual competitor's books and that data does not go anywhere else.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

There seems to be 2 or 3 “ideas/thoughts/opinions” already in this short thread.....

Books, I believe that was hashed out and the consensus was it would be more costly AND burdensome to do it any other way.

NRA not being paid for books? That is completely on the NRA. The books are attached to a club and if they didn’t get last years payment then you get no books for this year. Easy.

Scorers at the nationals, it was our first national so we have nothing to compare it to but I saw no problem or heard of no problems with the way it worked for the week I was there. Most people seemed quite alright with it.

No target setters for the nationals? That is the same type of hyperbole as saying the government is going to stop sending SS checks because of a shut down.... If I remember correctly tactic was used unsussecfully several years ago to scare old people...

Why in the world would you want to change the handicap naming in silhouette? Change for the sake of change is not a good thing. If it is that hard to understand the system then A,B,C,D and E classes would be the most straight forward and logical but also the most bland and boring.... leave things that work alone.

Obviously this is all IMHO and YMMV by your perspective....
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

I understand.

We will never speak of this again.
lijeboy
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by lijeboy »

It is my understanding that the competitions division intends to move silhouette to electronic reporting in the future. Not sure when, or how, it will happen, but my guess is sooner rather than later.
~Jeanne Ring

It's always something.