new to Lever Action - need rifle

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
shootmore
A Poster
A Poster

new to Lever Action - need rifle

Post by shootmore »

Hi,
We shoot SB Silhouette and now want to also shoot Lever Action Small bore. I'm looking for the best small bore lever action rifle to buy. Suggestions?
Which model. Where to get one? Sights/Scope?
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: new to Lever Action - need rifle

Post by BrentD »

Well, scopes are not legal, so that is easy.

As for the best .22 lever gun, that is almost as easy and noncontroversial. It's an older Marlin 39a. Hands down.

Find them on Gunbroker or wherever used rifles are sold. They are not particularly hard to find, but they are also not cheap.
dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dhatch »

I’ve seen a lot of mighty fine scores shot with the Henry Frontier with a 24” barrel and target sights. I do shoot a 39A but I would not rule out the Henry.
Proud Member of the C. C. S. A.
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

I don't claim it's the best but the Henry Frontier Long Barrel immediately helped move me into the next higher classification. The remarkable differences from my previous Henry carbine are 30" sight radius with the Marble Arms Tang sight, heavy 24" octagon barrel, balance and 14" length of pull. It has a lifetime warranty.
Last edited by Sporty on Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Post by CamP »

Henry responded to requests by silhouette shooters for a 24" barrel gun with their new Frontier Long Barrel H001TLB. It can be found as low as $350 online. They make a very good product and their customer service is tops.

As far as "best" silhouette gun goes, the 9422 Legacy with 22.5" barrel and pistol grip is best, imo. A new one in the box will set you back 3x a new Henry, but it won't buy you higher scores.

The most common sight setup around here is a William's FP-TK rear sight and Lyman 17A front sight.
Last edited by CamP on Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Another vote for Henry.
Heard this this comment at the Regional Match, "Man, Henry is taking over from Marlin."

Sold my Marlin, now shoot Henry - confidence much higher.

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

A little trigger work (very simple or should be inexpensive for a gunsmith) you can get a reasonable sub-2# trigger, everyone I have seen shoots with SK standard, CCI SV or Aguilla SV very accurately. 17A and Williams FPTK (or if your like my wife nice buckhorns) and you are the only limit. It's about a pound lighter then a 39A but feeds SO much smoother.... I shoot a Uberti but that is because I like the weight.

Less then $600 you have a rifle completely capable of master scores.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

Another vote for the Henry Frontier with the 24" barrel. I bought mine because of the 24 inch barrel, thus a longer sight radius. It is way more accurate than I am. When I do miss a target, I can not blame the rifle. I know it is me and not the rifle that missed. I liked it enough that I bought a Henry Big Boy Classic in .357 magnum for pistol cartridge and the big bore matches.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

As long as its not a new Marlin 39a its going to work.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by 44 mag »

Older Marlin 39a (before they had a safe on them). Williams rear site and a Lyman front is a hard combination to beat.
shootmore
A Poster
A Poster

Post by shootmore »

Another Dang 9 wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:01 pm As long as its not a new Marlin 39a its going to work.
Is there a serial number or year to distinguish an older model Marlin 39a?
shootmore
A Poster
A Poster

Post by shootmore »

Ken Green wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:07 pm Another vote for the Henry Frontier with the 24" barrel. I bought mine because of the 24 inch barrel, thus a longer sight radius. It is way more accurate than I am. When I do miss a target, I can not blame the rifle. I know it is me and not the rifle that missed. I liked it enough that I bought a Henry Big Boy Classic in .357 magnum for pistol cartridge and the big bore matches.
Thanks Ken, great explanation about the importance of sight radius.

Whats the Length of pull on the Henry? Also need a rifle for my 12 year old son. He just won the AZ State Metal Silhouette SB, B-Class Hunter and Standard and Aggregate with a CZ455 Cub. His LOP is about 12".
Last edited by shootmore on Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Post by CamP »

shootmore wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:22 am

Whats the Length of pull on the Henry? Also need a rifle for my son. He just won the AZ State Metal Silhouette SB, B-Class Hunter and Standard and Aggregate with a CZ455 Cub. His LOP is about 12".
The youth model henry stock is 13". I believe it will interchange with the frontier long barrel stock.
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

shootmore wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:22 am

Whats the Length of pull on the Henry? Also need a rifle for my son. He just won the AZ State Metal Silhouette SB, B-Class Hunter and Standard and Aggregate with a CZ455 Cub. His LOP is about 12".
As I mentioned earlier, the LOP is 14" for the Henry Frontier Long Barrel. You'll get a 30" sight radius with a Tang sight.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

FWIW, my 39a has a 24" barrel, a 28.5" sight radius, and weighs 6lbs 14 oz. Length of pull is only 13" so recoil can be pretty bruising.... :(

It is of 1951 vintage and I slimmed the forearm significantly.

All the late 40's early 50's Marlins that I know of are extremely accurate.