.22mag -again - ammo selection

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

.22mag -again - ammo selection

Post by snaketail2 »

Re: Hornady Critical Defense vs CCI TMJ .22 magnum ammo.

I have an idea. It may not be a good idea, but it is something to think about.

If I shoot the 40gr CCI TMJ ammo at chickens, pigs and turkeys then switch to 45gr Hornady Critical Defense for Rams (only) will I be wasting my time/money?
Does the Hornady 45gr bullet shoot that different than the 40gr CCI? Sight adjustment needed?
My goal is minimal sight changes while retaining energy for the rams.

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: .22mag -again - ammo selection

Post by Sporty »

The 40 grain CCI Maxi Mag packs a wallop. It put deep craters in my A36 standard steel chickens. Hopefully, clubs have AR500 steel targets while the 45 grain Hornady Critical Defense splashed. The photo below shows both impacts.
IMG_20180622_150033205_HDR.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Sporty on Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
JohnHenry
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by JohnHenry »

Michael, your suggested use of CCI FMJ on chickens, pigs, and turkeys and Hornady Critical Defense 45gr on rams is exactly the combo I've been using this year in the pistol cartridge lever gun. I have not failed to knock over a ram that I hit with the Hornady round at any range I used it, except for the Ridgway Match over labor Day. I lost three rams there with the .22 magnum, and don't have a definite reason why. I have a suspicion their rams are heavier than normal, but I don't know that for a fact. I was not alone in this, as 8 other shooters I talked to left rams with the.22 Mag at that match.
I also found the Hornady bullet is more accurate in my Marlin 57M than the CCI, but not by much. I think there is something about the bullet in the Hornady round that expands differently than other bullets. See the picture furnished by sporty. The Hornady bullet expands much more than the CCI, and I think that large impact area is what helps knock the target over. Just my opinion.
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

JohnHenry wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:35 pm ... except for the Ridgway Match over labor Day. I lost three rams there with the .22 magnum, and don't have a definite reason why. I have a suspicion their rams are heavier than normal, but I don't know that for a fact. I was not alone in this, as 8 other shooters I talked to left rams with the.22 Mag at that match.
You can add to your list the four rams I left standing at Ridgeway while shooting .22 Magnum 45 gr. Hornady Critical Defense.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

Michael, for what it's worth consider the ballistics I calculated for different .22 Magnum rounds in this post. Just considering energy at various distances, the 50 grain Federal Game Shock seems more potent on rams than the other ammo. However, energy isn't all there is to consider.

-Charlie Meli
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Jim & Charlie:
Thanks for the info guys.
I once, unwisely, mixed jacketed and cast bullets in the same match. I'm wary of making a similar mistake with the .22 mag.
Local range is partly underwater and FULL of mosquitos (West Nile present here too). I'll test once the skeeters are under control.
Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
mordecai
Forum Fiddler
Forum Fiddler

Post by mordecai »

I used both of these (Hornady C/D and CCI) at Raton and lost 2 rams to each load.
I think I lost one pig to each load, come to think of it.
So, as the energy calculations suggest, there isn't a significant difference IMHO. YMMV, etc.
ImageImage
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

I’ve won my share of matches shooting the CCI TMJ + Critical Defense combo. The TMJ’s will pit mild steel targets. I like the round a lot.

My frustration with the mag is inconsistent ammo. One batch will shoot 1 moa, the next 2-1/2. Charlie recently weighed a box and found 1/2 grain weight variation. That’s significant with the tiny case volume.

The CD ammo wasn’t any better. I think it’s all made at the same plant and they stick different labels on them.. CCI TMJ is exactly the same as Fiocchi FMJ made by ATK.
- Joe
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Post by CamP »

Joe, have you tested the 22 Hornets yet? I still have about 1/2 box Charlie loaded for me, but I have a good case of tmj's I've been sticking to lately.
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

I shot them at the State match at clipped targets. Accuracy didn’t matter in 25 mph winds, I held onto my hat and shot.
- Joe
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

I like the 50 gr Federal, one and only time I tested more than 15+ years ago, 1 to 1.25" at 100 yards with my 57M.
back in the day, so your results may vary.

pretty good knockdown, but none are ever perfect.

a couple of 40's and 39's have been shot with 22 mag.

Dennis
The Bug Father
...I don't like recoil, but I love to experiment.
JohnHenry
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by JohnHenry »

The power of the .22 mag on steel silhouettes is just enough in most cases, given the weight of the bullet--40 to 50 grains. The issue is how the targets are set at the various ranges and the weight of the rams in particular. I have stated previously that I used the .22 mag all summer at Whittington and never lost any animal at any distance. I believe the construction of the target stands and the targets themselves at that facility is the primary reason the targets go down. Unfortunately, every range is constructed different to some degree. Some years ago, at the Topeka range, we used Johnson paste wax on the rails. Rams were not lost after that.

I suppose to eliminate leaving targets it is best to just shoot a larger caliber. I have used a .357 Mag over the years and have never lost any animal at any range unless I just nipped it.

I think we all like the .22 mag because of the availability of loaded ammo that is fairly inexpensive and it's less work since reloading is unnecessary.

To sum it up, if you shoot a .22 mag at steel targets, you can expect to leave an animal occasionally.