stock question

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
jhawk
Unclassified Poster

stock question

Post by jhawk »

Will the Bergara B-14 HMR stock be legal for the heavy rifle category?
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: stock question

Post by Jerry G »

No. Center of bore to bottom of action cannot exceed 2 inches. The magazine is way beyond that.
jhawk
Unclassified Poster

Post by jhawk »

Thanks for the reply. Would that still apply if a magazine that didn't extend below that line was used? In other words, is that all that disqualifies that stock?
jbolt
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jbolt »

Current rules can be found here. http://rulebooks.nra.org/documents/pdf/ ... r-book.pdf

For standard class you are permitted to have a magazine that is below the allowed stock line, Rule 3.1 (d), But it cannot be used for support, Rule 3.14. Best to replace the magazine with a follower block or sled as it will most likely get in the way.

Rue 3.15 says adjustable cheeks must be fixed in place and sealed. I've never gotten a straight answer on what sealed means.

3.1 (d) Stock: The stock must be traditionally styled and may not be bent and/or twisted so as to deviate from conventional configurations such as factory rifle stocks or silhouette stocks as manufactured by Fajen, McMillan, H-S Precision, and others. The forend, including the trigger guard mounts and screws, shall not exceed 2 1/4 inches wide, and 2 1/4 inches deep measured from the centerline of the bore. Magazines do not have to conform to stock measurements but those that extend below the stock line may not be used as support as per Rule 3.I(h) and 3.14. The forend shall extend a minimum of 8 inches forward of the forward edge of the receiver ring. The comb shall not extend above the centerline of the bore, but Monte Carlo roll may rise 1/2 inch on the off side. Buttplate or recoil pad may not extend below the lower line of the stock.
jhawk
Unclassified Poster

Post by jhawk »

Thanks for the reply, I read the rules before I posted. I don't have a Bergara stock in front of me, I was just hoping someone was maybe using one, or had tried to use one and was not permitted to do so. I was thinking of buying one, and using it for silhouette as well as for other things. I have a damaged wrist on my right hand, and the pistol grip type stocks are easier for me to hold. I realize that I can build a rifle for silhouette, I was just looking for a simpler solution. I am just getting back into sillhouette after a long lapse.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

I think the rifle would pass if you blocked off the mag well flush with the bottom of the stock and fed it from the top one at a time. I blocked my stock off with a piece of foam with duct tape over it. Works just fine. The only place I have ever seen the jig used was at the US nationals.
jbolt
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jbolt »

Stock like the Magpul hunter where the but end is attached at the bottom of the grip become questionable because they could be considered a thumb hole stock without the bridge that would form the hole. The stock you are inquiring about is less extreme and looks closer to the intent of the rules.

You can always inquire with the NRA and get a ruling from them to be sure before purchasing.
jhawk
Unclassified Poster

Post by jhawk »

Thanks for the replies. I asked the NRA for a ruling, and they said they would get back to me, so I guess I'll have to wait. I was hoping someone had already gone through this and had the answer. I'm sure the NRA will get back as soon as they decide. I'll post the reply when I have it. In looking at the stock, I can see arguments that might both allow, and disallow the stock.
Thanks again for everyone's efforts to help.
John
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Don't hold your breath waiting for the NRA answer.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

I have a Bell & Carlson that has a drop grip but isn't pistol grip in its configuration. Works fine at local matches but haven't run it through the NRA fixture yet.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
jhawk
Unclassified Poster

Post by jhawk »

Some of the Anschutz clones would work as well, and are approved. I may have to go that route. Thanks for the input.
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

Does anyone remember if and when they (NRA) had the 7 1/2 dimension that the back of the stock could not drop more than 7 1/2 inches from the center-line of the barrel.
ppkny
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

ppkny wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:55 am Does anyone remember if and when they (NRA) had the 7 1/2 dimension that the back of the stock could not drop more than 7 1/2 inches from the center-line of the barrel.
ppkny
I think that rule was waived for me and some others in the 2014 Nationals, then it was removed entirely before the 2015 nationals.
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

OldRanger wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:02 pm
ppkny wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:55 am Does anyone remember if and when they (NRA) had the 7 1/2 dimension that the back of the stock could not drop more than 7 1/2 inches from the center-line of the barrel.
ppkny
I think that rule was waived for me and some others in the 2014 Nationals, then it was removed entirely before the 2015 nationals.
I remember you having an issue getting your rifle through tech that year. It was really silly that they didn't just take a look at you and the rifle and sent you on your way with a tech inspection decal.