Target Rules

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Target Rules

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Hi Folks.
I'm trying to figure out why the NRA decided to make all the feet on the 1/2 scale pistol and SB targets the same size 2X4. While the feet on the chicken, Turkey and Ram is fine the feet on the pig is just odd. Why can't it just be one foot pad between both legs which would make the target more ridged or two foot pads that are more appropriate like 2x3 so they don't look like Charlie Chaplin walking down the street. Does anyone know why the change?
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
tnchicknsnipr
B Poster
B Poster

Re: Target Rules

Post by tnchicknsnipr »

I have found that if the pig has a solid foot all the across you will have a better chance of turning it. If the rails or pads are not level. With two pads on the feet the chances are less for turning the target. Way make the target heavier with a solid pad ? The pig could be the second heaviest target next to the ram.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Others have mentioned the issue of one foot having potential to leave a pig if it spins. The current rule does that too. So I guess the rule should be two feet but they are much to big as they are now. 2x2 would be a good size as to leave a gap between the legs for elimination of that problem. As far as weight goes. I've never dinged a pig in PC or SB. I'm hoping to get this changed before the new season so there will be no issues when the nationals occurs.
NRA Endowment Member
jbolt
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jbolt »

What is the issue? I'm not sure I understand what difference it would make. Pigs go down pretty easy.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

The issue is the size of the feet relative to the size of the pig. They are disproportionately opposed.
NRA Endowment Member
jbolt
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jbolt »

I'm not sure aesthetics is a good reason for a rule change. I've never been to nationals and probably never will get the chance so what issue will it cause specifically at nationals?
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Its not an issue of aesthetics but one of disproportionate size. As I said the current foot rule could cause pigs to spin and stay standing. Having huge feet makes rail hits left or right of it become a hit. Not that thats such a bad thing if you miss a lot but will make pig counts go way up artificially. The gap between the legs is only 2 1/2" having 8" of foot leaves little room for the gap as it currently is. There is also no rule as to how much gap between the feet as is currently written. So in theory they could almost touch there by increasing the chance of spinning a pig and leave it standing. Smaller feet would remove that problem. Thats all I'm trying to fix.
NRA Endowment Member
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

For those that need a visual.
1201181629.jpg
1201181629a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NRA Endowment Member
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

Another Dang 9 wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:50 pm Its not an issue of aesthetics but one of disproportionate size. As I said the current foot rule could cause pigs to spin and stay standing. Having huge feet makes rail hits left or right of it become a hit. Not that thats such a bad thing if you miss a lot but will make pig counts go way up artificially. The gap between the legs is only 2 1/2" having 8" of foot leaves little room for the gap as it currently is. There is also no rule as to how much gap between the feet as is currently written. So in theory they could almost touch there by increasing the chance of spinning a pig and leave it standing. Smaller feet would remove that problem. Thats all I'm trying to fix.
Do you actually see these problems? Granted I haven't been in silhouette that long, but I have not heard of any issues with pigs except at a couple ranges where they have automatic resets and the occasional ring. You are trying to fix hypotheticals
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

"You are trying to fix hypotheticals"
I guess you've never been to a National.
NRA Endowment Member