sight in, ammo testing

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
shootmore
A Poster
A Poster

sight in, ammo testing

Post by shootmore »

Hi,
I'm gearing up for lever action and have a .22 Henry with Lyman/Williams sites. My eyes are not great. Its hard to shoot the irons. I have been successful at SB Silhouette (scoped).

At what range should I test ammo? I have 3 lots of high performance ammo for my other rifles, center-x, SK etc.
How do I test different ammo not being able to see the target that well? Heck I may be off an inch at 100 yards just from the irons/eyes.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: sight in, ammo testing

Post by snaketail2 »

If you hold "center-mass" a 100 yard you'll be OK. The target is big enough to allow a 1" wobble
If you sight your rifle in at 50 (should be good for 40 yards too), 75 and 100 yards from a bench you'll likely be off the mark...sight your rifle in as you will shoot it in a match. Use the same stance, hold, glasses, shoes; eg - nothing new on match day.
Mark your Zero and keep you sight settings handy.
The road to good shooting is the same one that goes to Carnegie Hall - practice, practice, practice.
M
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Put a scope on it and test the ammo off the bench at 100 meters. Once you find the one it shoots best with, take off the scope and reinstall the rear sight so that you can get your sight settings at each distance.
shootmore
A Poster
A Poster

Post by shootmore »

Thanks. I took the advice and mounted a scope today :D

How big are the targets compared to SB Silhouette?
dscak1
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dscak1 »

They are 1/2 the size of the full scale animals. SB are 1/5 size.
shootmore
A Poster
A Poster

Post by shootmore »

thats huge for 40, 60, 80, 100 meters. Ok for a SB Sihouette shooter it sounds big.

Now who can say what group sizes at 100 yards is expected of a top notch lever action .22 rifle? 1/2", 1", 2" or? Which rifle/barrel?
How about a Henry .22 RF 24" barrel?

im getting under 1/2" with my Anshutz 5418 SB Silhouette at 100 yards off the bench.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

If your lever action rifle can put 10 shots into a 2" group (center-to-center) at 100 meters, then it's great and ready to get sight settings. :)
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

shootmore,
Accuracy is only part of the equation. You have to be able to knock down the targets with the selected ammo especially the RAMS. Ammo that's super accurate at 100 yards isn't going to take the rams consistently. Although I've seen ammo at 1050/1080 fps take down rams it greatly depends on barrel length and hit placement. You have a get a happy medium between accuracy and knockdown.
ppkny
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

ppkny wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:04 am shootmore,
Accuracy is only part of the equation. You have to be able to knock down the targets with the selected ammo especially the RAMS. Ammo that's super accurate at 100 yards isn't going to take the rams consistently. Although I've seen ammo at 1050/1080 fps take down rams it greatly depends on barrel length and hit placement. You have a get a happy medium between accuracy and knockdown.
ppkny
Yep. I rang one wet ram at a SBLA match today with a 40 grain .22 LR 1090 fps LRN. Henry Frontier Long Barrel.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
shootmore
A Poster
A Poster

Post by shootmore »

Hi
Back from the range, 24" barreled Henry and one of my Center-X ammo lots gave me = 1 3/8" at 100 meters :D
Removed the scope and put the rear sight back on and found the vertical screw screw is just a bit to short so I will have to hold over a bit until I can get a longer screw.

Hopefully that Center-X will take down rams. Tomorrows the match. Ill get there early and do some testing and sight in for all animals.

THANKS every one for your advice!
MOTO VITA
A Poster
A Poster

Post by MOTO VITA »

shootmore wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:07 pm Hi
Back from the range, 24" barreled Henry and one of my Center-X ammo lots gave me = 1 3/8" at 100 meters :D
Removed the scope and put the rear sight back on and found the vertical screw screw is just a bit to short so I will have to hold over a bit until I can get a longer screw.

Hopefully that Center-X will take down rams. Tomorrows the match. Ill get there early and do some testing and sight in for all animals.

THANKS every one for your advice!
Good luck at the match.
Did you try any high velocity ammo while you had the scope on? If you don't mind paying for Center-X you might try some Eley Force.