Distance of tang sight holes

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Distance of tang sight holes

Post by SqHunter »

How far is the rear tang sight hole from the stock bolt on the older 39a? I have decided to have mine drilled for the Marbles sight, but don't know where the rear hole should be.

Thanks!
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Distance of tang sight holes

Post by BrentD »

All my 1951 Version, the 2 holes are approximately 0.475" apart to the best of my ability to measure them. I have a tang sight mounted that covers the rear tang bolt so I had to estimate its approximate location.
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

Wouldn't you use a longer bolt for the butt stock as one and just drill & tap for the other?

39A Marble's Standard tang sight 009827
Screw Set 995025
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

Sporty wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:52 am Wouldn't you use a longer bolt for the butt stock as one and just drill & tap for the other?

39A Marble's Standard tang sight 009827
Screw Set 995025
The marbles sight is not designed to use a stock bolt. It came with two screws about 3/8 long. It is my understanding the first screw should be in front of the stock bolt so the rifle can still be dismantled even with the sight attached, but I am not sure exactly how far up it should be.

I can't drill the forward most screw because of the serial number.
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

That screw set part # includes a longer screw that accounts for the Marble's base height. Here's an idea to consider.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

Were it my rifle, I would remove the stock and determine if the SSN also appeared in other places on the receiver. If not, I would stamp it on the side tang. (left side probably). Then I would drill the darn thing and forget about it.

But it isn't my rifle.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

Sporty wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:03 am That screw set part # includes a longer screw that accounts for the Marble's base height. Here's an idea to consider.
The fellow in that link is a lot braver than I am. Lol :D
lijeboy
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by lijeboy »

BrentD wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:05 am Were it my rifle, I would remove the stock and determine if the SSN also appeared in other places on the receiver. If not, I would stamp it on the side tang. (left side probably). Then I would drill the darn thing and forget about it.

But it isn't my rifle.
If it were me, I would check with my local ATF office before drilling through a serial number. And I definitely would NOT restamp it without their approval. Obliterated serial numbers on firearms are frowned upon, to put it mildly, by law enforcement.
~Jeanne Ring

It's always something.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

lijeboy wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:22 pm
BrentD wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:05 am Were it my rifle, I would remove the stock and determine if the SSN also appeared in other places on the receiver. If not, I would stamp it on the side tang. (left side probably). Then I would drill the darn thing and forget about it.

But it isn't my rifle.
If it were me, I would check with my local ATF office before drilling through a serial number. And I definitely would NOT restamp it without their approval. Obliterated serial numbers on firearms are frowned upon, to put it mildly, by law enforcement.
The serial number on this rifle has not been harmed. I am going to drill on hole between the stockbolt and the first number and hope it is enough to hold the sight on. I have been told it is, but we will see.