Opinions please .22 bpcr sights and scopes and bases

Front-stuffers, smoke-belchers and .22 BPCR!
squinty_shooter
A Poster
A Poster

Opinions please .22 bpcr sights and scopes and bases

Post by squinty_shooter »

Hey all,
I have my gun now all I need is rings scope and sights. I would like opinions and why.. please no sarcastic or disparaging comments on products, just keep to the facts as you feel them.
Thanks
Kimbal
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Opinions please .22 bpcr sights and scopes and bases

Post by BrentD »

How much do you have to spend?
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

For the scope, the MVA B5 with the #2 mounts is hard to beat.
For iron sights I like the MVA Schuetzen soule, paired with a Baldwin front.
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

Absolutely true.
squinty_shooter
A Poster
A Poster

Price is not the primary consideration. I just want to do this only once. How tall of rear sight, how much windage adjustment should I plan on? Do I need a spirit level in the front or is that more important for bpcr?
Thanks again
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

Ive yet to run out of windage with either the MVA or Baldwin Schuetzen sights. They are both more than tall enough for the 22bpcr matches and will probably shoot out a bit further. Yes a spirit lever in the front will help keep you from canting the rifle.
squinty_shooter
A Poster
A Poster

Thank you everyone who took the time to give me theit two cents!
Kimbal
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

squinty_shooter wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:31 pm Price is not the primary consideration. I just want to do this only once. How tall of rear sight, how much windage adjustment should I plan on? Do I need a spirit level in the front or is that more important for bpcr?
Thanks again
Spirit levels are not critical but they are a good confidence builder so that you know you broke that last shot right.

On a low wall, I have only needed an MVA Schuetzen Soule to get plenty of height to easily make 200 meters with subsonic ammo. I use a fairly low front sight, so that helps but most front sights will be compatible with a shorter staff. I prefer to not have a staff any taller than it needs to be. Standard windage on these sights is also more than plenty. If you run off the scale, it's time to go home anyway :)
40-65rl
B Poster
B Poster

Post by 40-65rl »

Know Don and Brent very well and their advice is excellent. I, however, prefer the DZ scope over the MVA B5. Had several MVA scopes before the DZ and never looked back after purchasing the DZ. Totally agree with the MVA rear and Baldwin front for irons. Have two CPA's each have a DZ scope and MVA Schuetzen rear and Baldwin front. They seem to work pretty well for me. Sorry Don and Brent.
Dick
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

Dick, The cost of the MVA B5 is far less than the DZ, so that may be a factor too. The DZ is a very fine scope, no doubt about that, but very pricey. The new MVA's I have seen as prototypes look excellent, but I have no first hand experience with them on the firing line.
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

Nothing to be sorry about Dick..
We had a DZ, it was a good scope, and the mounts are great, but that 8x was just a bit much for off hand shooting. So we sold it.
Love those B5's and now with them offering more than just the standard cross hair, they are just great.
22ballard
B Poster
B Poster

Post by 22ballard »

For those interested in scopes for .22BPCR, there are other options; Unertl Small Game Scopes (in 4x and 6x) and Lyman Jr Target Spot scopes (available in 6-10x). There also other vintage scopes that are legal; Winchester A5, Lyman 5A,Lyman 438 Field scope (4x) as well as some Fecker scopes. Some of the The vintage scopes can often be found at prices in $500 range.
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

MVA Winchester B5 is a nice score for the money. Abput $600 with legal target mounts.

The Unertl will have to be modified to be legal in completion.
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

The B5 in a #2 mount is normally 650 and is on sale this month at 617.
As Brent said it's bpcr legal as it comes.
SSShooter
B Poster
B Poster

Post by SSShooter »

What did the OP go with?
If stilling 'thinking' then I'll put in another vote for the MVA B5 for a scope. At 5X has plenty of power for rams and large enough field of view that a wobbly shooter (like me) doesn't lose the chickens as they run thru your sight picture as happens for me with an 8X or 10X scope. Also, I find the lighter weight to be nice.
If anything, there are too many excellent tang sights available. The MVA, Baldwin, Kelley & Shaver (hope I did not miss anyone) Soule sights are all excellent, as the Hoke tang sight. Same with their front sights. Pick the one that lights your fire. I went with the MVA #130 with a Haldley eye-cup and find it an excellent, somewhat less expensive, tang sight made to the same high level of quality that all the makers named above provide. You cannot go wrong with any of them.

The drawback to an older Unertl or Fecker scope is the glass is also old and cannot compare to the quality of glass offered today by either MVA or DZ Arms. Plus, with MVA you have several reticles to select from (I like the centerless mildot). With an older scope you get what you get. Plus, while available, you'll be at the mercy of the market-place for any spares or repairs.