Silhouette Rifle Rules Changes - 2018

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
psteiger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Silhouette Rifle Rules Changes - 2018

Post by psteiger »

DavidABQ wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:34 pm
dustinflint wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:06 pm
BrentD wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:55 pm Dustin, if we wanted to shoot bolt rifles, we would. Some probably do. Personally, not interested. At all. Happy to hear that others like it however.
You can put a scope on a lever rifle and shoot it, or on an automatic, or a pump, low-wall, high-wall, whatever. Doesn't have to be a bolt gun. You can use any sight you like. You can have lenses all over the place.

Seems like it's exactly what you've been asking for.

Dustin
:))
I believe Troy Lawton from Georgia who won the truck at Winnsboro with a 40/40 was shooting a 10/22. We have lots of people shooting plenty of different action types so to call this a bolt game is wrong.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Talk about diversity, we have a guy who shoots sb silhouette with a TC single shot. So lever gun guys and gals come play with us! You can use as much magnification as you need.

\m/
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

psteiger wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:47 pmI believe Troy Lawton from Georgia who won the truck at Winnsboro with a 40/40 was shooting a 10/22. We have lots of people shooting plenty of different action types so to call this a bolt game is wrong.
I am very curious to know why smallbore/highpower/air rifle is not acceptable for the few people that want a scope category for lever action. I REALLY hope the reason is not:
"but the animals are so small..."
Dustin
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

dustinflint wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:33 am

I am very curious to know why smallbore/highpower/air rifle is not acceptable for the few people that want a scope category for lever action. I REALLY hope the reason is not:
"but the animals are so small..."
Dustin
But they are! Have you seen them?!?!? I mean come on....

Don't get me started on air rifle animals.... they are just ridiculous...

:-B
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

cedestech wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:39 amDon't get me started on air rifle animals.... they are just ridiculous...
=)) That is funny! You almost made me spit up my coffee.

I regularly shoot groups offhand at half-scale swingers with my "bolt gun" to check sight settings. In hundreds of shots I've never even come close to missing the target. I'm assuming the lever gun "scope category" would shoot much smaller targets, right?

Dustin
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

Honestly, I doubt it. If they take a page from 22BPCR they will be the same size animals with a power limit on the scope.

I honestly don't have a dog in the fight. I can argue it both ways.

The sport is iron sight. Period.

22BPCR has shows a increase in participation because allowing "period correct" glass. They are only allowed 3/4" tube scopes, external adjustment, no clicks on turrets.

It is what it is. I will make fun but if it increases participation I'd be OK with it... I guess.... :o)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
psteiger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by psteiger »

Guess I'll have to dig out an old Martini and put a scope on it and try out BPCR. I've got a couple from 1870 -1880 that were converted to 22lr about 1900.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

So, six rifles to shoot a lever gun match? Three for iron sights and three for scopes? Looking like IHMSA...

The whole point of shooting at those giant targets is so they can be shot with iron sights.

Dustin
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

dustinflint wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:31 am So, six rifles to shoot a lever gun match? Three for iron sights and three for scopes? Looking like IHMSA...

The whole point of shooting at those giant targets is so they can be shot with iron sights.

Dustin
Not going to disagree...
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

psteiger wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:29 am Guess I'll have to dig out an old Martini and put a scope on it and try out BPCR. I've got a couple from 1870 -1880 that were converted to 22lr about 1900.
You could probably use that martini in a local match if they had the room, but it's not a "legal" rifle per 22bpcr rules.
lijeboy
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by lijeboy »

dustinflint wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:31 am So, six rifles to shoot a lever gun match? Three for iron sights and three for scopes? Looking like IHMSA...

Dustin
Good point. I hereby rescind my suggestion of a scope class.
~Jeanne Ring

It's always something.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

lijeboy wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:13 amGood point. I hereby rescind my suggestion of a scope class.
Jeanne, I suggest you keep your earplugs in (and muffs on) during the competitor meeting at this year's nationals. Going to be rough!

Dustin
lijeboy
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by lijeboy »

dustinflint wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:16 am
lijeboy wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:13 amGood point. I hereby rescind my suggestion of a scope class.
Jeanne, I suggest you keep your earplugs in (and muffs on) during the competitor meeting at this year's nationals. Going to be rough!

Dustin
Yep. To quote Emily Litella from the Golden Age of Saturday Night Live (when it was actually funny) "It's always somethin`."

Or was it Roseane Roseannadanna that said that?
~Jeanne Ring

It's always something.
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

lijeboy wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:13 am

Dustin
Good point. I hereby rescind my suggestion of a scope class.
Anyone who has had a child in the last 20 years and reads to them will know where this comes from....

"if you give a mouse a cookie..."
psteiger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by psteiger »

DonM wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:03 am
psteiger wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:29 am Guess I'll have to dig out an old Martini and put a scope on it and try out BPCR. I've got a couple from 1870 -1880 that were converted to 22lr about 1900.
You could probably use that martini in a local match if they had the room, but it's not a "legal" rifle per 22bpcr rules.
What???? An original Black Powder cartridge rifle, from the era, is not legal in BPCR? You're kidding, right? Not a modern ( Al Freeland international), but a real live, no kidding English rifle, converted at the turn of the century to 22lr, when it still was black powder.