Silhouette Rifle Rules Changes - 2018

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
psteiger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Silhouette Rifle Rules Changes - 2018

Post by psteiger »

49er, I want to shoot the Martini in the 22 BPCR, not lever action. Plus, it doesn't have a tube magazine. I can't believe it's not legal for that.

Brent, Dustin does shoot lever gun. All 3. He runs the Louisiana State lever match in December. He runs a good match. A little thin on prizes ( I got a lump of coal last year).....excellent food, his dad shoots so you can complain to the source.
No1_49er
A Poster
A Poster

Post by No1_49er »

psteiger wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:53 pm 49er, I want to shoot the Martini in the 22 BPCR, not lever action. Plus, it doesn't have a tube magazine. I can't believe it's not legal for that.
From the most recent rules that I have: -

1. 22 BPCRA Rifle - A single shot rifle, originally made for black powder cartridges, of United States
manufacture prior to 1896
and being typical of the era. Replicas thereof, regardless of origin of
manufacture, are permitted. Hammer must be exposed. If replacement barrels, stocks, or other parts are
used, they must be as original. No Schuetzen style rifles permitted. One rifle will be used during all
phases of the match.
(a) Barrel liners: .22 caliber removable liners that fit into approved rifles with larger caliber barrels are
permitted to convert a center fire rifle to a .22 caliber.

Martini - no exposed hammer, not US manufacture (unless it's a replica).
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

BrentD wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:57 pm Be that as it may, he is the worst ambassador for his sport that I have ever seen. And highpower certainly has a reputation, deserved or not, that fits with that ambassadorship. Just sayin'.

LOL, worst EVER!!!! That's a big statement from someone who has never met me.
BrentD wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:57 pmScoped lever gun would have no effect on iron sight lever gun other than to let a few old friends that had to give it up come back to the range and shoot for a few more years, and some iron sight shooters would have some more opportunities to launch lead down range. It has done wonders for BPCR and its shooters.
Scoped Lever gun would require:

(1) the NRA to keep up with national records for three new types of silhouette.

(2) the NRA to keep up with long runs for three new types of silhouette.

(3) the NRA to keep up with grand slams for three new types of silhouette.

(4) the NRA to add national championships for three new types of silhouette, including awards for three new types of silhouette, likely 8 days for the nationals instead of four, and all kinds of new expenses and challenges to get competitors to stay for the extra days - not to mention finding a match director and staff to stay four more days.

(5) competitors to likely double the time and expense to attend nationals.

(6) match directors for regional and state matches to double the awards and figure out a way to add three more (at minimum) matches to a weekend.

(7) Shooters buying new equipment, then re-buying equipment to cope with the inevitable rule changes that come with the committee making decisions on a new type of silhouette. (And those changes will likely eventually require clubs to buy new sets of targets once the committee changes target size when it realizes that shooting half-scale and full-scale targets with scopes is too easy)

And any number of things that I didn't think of off the top of my head.

So you see, something like this will have an impact beyond old friends getting together - and I know this and think about these things because, even though I'm the worst ambassador for the sport ever, I run lots of Championship and club matches. Folks that don't do that often think that changes like this are simpler than they are.

Scoped Lever gun games MIGHT be worth all of this IF they provide advantages over existing scoped Silhouette games - but you haven't told us those advantages.

Dustin
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Dustin, Jerry T. and the Louisiana Silhouette team run one of the strongest Silhouette programs that have ever existed in the history of this sport. The firing line in Gonzales, LA. is jam packed with people for each monthly match. The first weekend in December is the Louisiana Lever Action State Championship. Within a few minutes of that entry form being available every relay is full with a long waiting list in case somebody cannot make it. For that degree of success, the Louisiana group not only have to be ambassadors and promoters of the sport but put in a lot of work to make those matches happen.
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

Dustin, by your accounting the NRA should probably cancel ALL silhouette shooting.

As for the advantages of a scoped lever gun class - you have not been listening. Something I have noticed about your online persona. It is all about you all the time. If you a better person, in person, well good for you. But on line, you are no asset to improving the games, increasing participation or anything else that is constructive.

Rant away.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

I don't know how many times you can be asked for reasons behind what you want. After six pages of this without you giving any real answers I guess we'll just have to suppose that you don't have any reasons.

I will apologize to you again for whatever I said online that has triggered you; but after another post of you attacking me personally I am beginning to not care.

I know that it is a character trait of overly sensitive people nowadays to blame someone else for their issues, but it is not my fault that you have been unable to give good reasons for a scoped lever gun game.

Summary of this conversation:

Brent: we should have scoped lever gun categories.

Dustin: why would that be better than the scoped games we already have?

Brent: I don't like bolt guns.

Dustin: you don't have to shoot a bolt gun.

Brent: you are the most terrible person I've ever seen. I hate you.

:-\

I don't know what to do with that.

Dustin
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

dustinflint wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:20 am I don't know how many times you can be asked for reasons behind what you want. After six pages of this without you giving any real answers I guess we'll just have to suppose that you don't have any reasons.

I will apologize to you again for whatever I said online that has triggered you; but after another post of you attacking me personally I am beginning to not care.

I know that it is a character trait of overly sensitive people nowadays to blame someone else for their issues, but it is not my fault that you have been unable to give good reasons for a scoped lever gun game.

Summary of this conversation:

Brent: we should have scoped lever gun categories.

Dustin: why would that be better than the scoped games we already have?

Brent: I don't like bolt guns.

Dustin: you don't have to shoot a bolt gun.

Brent: you are the most terrible person I've ever seen. I hate you.

:-\

I don't know what to do with that.

Dustin
It's simple. It's not just about "scoping the leverguns". It's that the current scoped centerfire classes don't fit what he wants because they place the animals farther away than he wants to shoot. If it was about people getting together to launch lead down range as he said, then the current classifications would be plenty sufficient and they could scope their leverguns within the confines of existing classifications.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

Another nonlistener. You two really need a fight. You will have to find it with someone else. I have no time for people only looking to argue and unwilling to pay attention.
GTS
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTS »

I think Pat's correct....blue corn chips go better with this show.
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

BrentD wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:26 pm Another nonlistener. You two really need a fight. You will have to find it with someone else. I have no time for people only looking to argue and unwilling to pay attention.
I've paid attention to the entire thread. You can't seem to answer the most simple question of "why can't you shoot your scoped levergun in high power silhouette and require a separate class?" Try it. I'll pay attention. I'll listen and won't fight. Just directly answer that simple question.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

Doodaddy wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:31 pm
BrentD wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:26 pm Another nonlistener. You two really need a fight. You will have to find it with someone else. I have no time for people only looking to argue and unwilling to pay attention.
I've paid attention to the entire thread. You can't seem to answer the most simple question of "why can't you shoot your scoped levergun in high power silhouette and require a separate class?" Try it. I'll pay attention. I'll listen and won't fight. Just directly answer that simple question.
Because lever gunners tend not to want to shoot highpower with lever guns. BTW, it wasn't about me. From the beginning it is about those whose eyesight no longer permits irons of any type. (So far, I can and do still shoot iron sights, so this was never about me personally, as much as dustin wants to make it that way)

As happened with BPCR, they simply leave the game. No, they do NOT pick up highpower instead. Why? Is that really so hard to figure out?

Adding scopes to BPCR has greatly helped retain shooters in the game. It is a simple fact, not an opinion. There has been zero negative impact on iron sight BPCR and, in fact, there has been some substantial positives. Obviously, you do not shoot bpcr. It is really quite simple actually.
GTS
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTS »

Dang...…out of salsa!
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

GTS wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:37 pm Dang...…out of salsa!
I think guacamole would be better for you. Try it.. :)
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

I'm so glad I'm not the ash-hole this time....

:))
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

#:-s
BrentD wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:39 pm
GTS wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:37 pm Dang...…out of salsa!
I think guacamole would be better for you. Try it.. :)
Yuck! Give me some nice salsa! Not the chopped up tomatoes with onions stuff but true cooked salsa! Add some blue corn tortilla chips and yummy!