Scoped Lever action silhouette

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Scoped Lever action silhouette

Post by cedestech »

Use this thread.

What would you like to see as rules?

Scope power?

Variable/fixed?

Adjustable turrets, capped friction (no adjustement allowed).

Adjustable objective?

Reticle?

Mounting?

Anything else? Really.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Scoped Lever action silhouette

Post by dhatch »

Nope. Not at all.
Proud Member of the C. C. S. A.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Nope not shooting a scoped lever rifle at lever gun size targets.
MIGHT shoot if everybody shoots the 1/5 scale targets at 40, 60, 77 and 100 meters.
MIGHT SHOOT if the rules say maximum of 9x scope with no add on magnifiers allowed.
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

4 power max, variable to 4x ok.
Max objective lens 40 non adjustable.
Standard capped turrets
What ever reticle you are comfortable with.
Mounts anything that will hold the scope safely on the rifle..
Just really don't see all the falderal about creating a scope class for the lever guns. And before someone starts the "it''s not traditonal" stuff, maybe they should spend a little time for example in the 1916 Winchester catalog where they dedicated 4 pages to promoting the benefits of telescopic sights..
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

That is the spirit. I’ll play.

4X maximum. Capped Turrets, no adjusting during the match. No adjustable objective. Any reticle as long as it’s not ballistic. 32 mm maximum objective.No more than a half inch off the receiver. Cheek pad can’t be thicker than the scope height from top of the receiver to the center of the scope.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
No1_49er
A Poster
A Poster

Post by No1_49er »

After reading through the "other" thread, it seems to me that the basis for the discussion is that a lot of us older competitors inevitably suffer defects in our eyesight, to the point that aperture sights become "difficult". The problem has perhaps been exacerbated by the rule change that prohibits the use of a corrective lens in the sight.
Given that there is already a preexisting match for scoped rifle (bolt guns are not compulsory), this is my suggestion that would permit those with failing/failed eyesight to continue in our game, Lever Action Silhouette, with their regular eye-glasses.

Scope power - 1 (ONE) power! Would probably mean something like a 1x-4x, fixed at 1x. No advantage over apertures wrt magnification.
Edit - The inspectors seal would be placed over the zoom ring.
Adjustable turrets - YES. How many of us do NOT adjust receiver/tang sights at some point in the match?
Mounts/rings - whatever floats your boat.
Reticle - at 1 power, would it really matter, i.e. anything goes.
Objective lens size - would only be limited by the availability of a 1x-??x scope. It doesn't matter - light gathering ability can not exceed that which our eyes already receive.

Rifle - in all other respects will comply with the current rule/s. Only the sight system is different.

My suggestion would allow anybody, failed eyesight or not, to shoot our match, but more particularly those with eye-glasses will not have to avail themselves of special lenses/frames specifically for shooting.

KISS.
How say you?
Last edited by No1_49er on Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

If there would be the simple addition of a scope class in Levergun, no changes in the rifle, just a scope to a max 4x added to the rifle, the iron shooters and scope shooters could compete side by side. At the end of the match then recognize the high shooter/shooters in iron and the high shooters in scope. Doesn't have to be complicated, and may just bring a few more folks out that don't have the confidence in their eyesight to shoot irons anymore. Nothing complicated .
richard
A Poster
A Poster

Post by richard »

NO, NO, and NO! If you want to use a scope go shoot any other silhouette discipline. Hey, why do you think the animals are so big in lever gun? Answer, because we can only use iron sights. Yea, I know, my eyesight is lousy too and I have eye diseases, and am 74 years old. So.
Richard
GTS
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTS »

This was my HP rifle last year in Zwolle, LA at their State HP match. I didn't expect to hit many, but it sure was fun. Now I know a .32-40 is capable of knocking down a ram at 500 meters. Scoped lever guns are fun!
1893 Scoped 32-40.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

NO!
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

richard wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:20 am NO, NO, and NO! If you want to use a scope go shoot any other silhouette discipline. Hey, why do you think the animals are so big in lever gun? Answer, because we can only use iron sights. Yea, I know, my eyesight is lousy too and I have eye diseases, and am 74 years old. So.
I fully concur with Richard. I'm 70, need glasses and I shoot a .22 LR Henry Frontier Long Barrel in Smallbore Silhouette Rifle matches alongside the riflescoped competitors. After trying to hit the fifth scale targets helps make hitting the half scale more likely.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
GTS
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTS »

Keep it moving folks....nothing to see here.
(Dragging up a chair and reaching for the blue chips.)
44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by 44 mag »

I for one am not in favor of a scope class. But with that being said i would support a petition for a non magnified lens in the rear site. If someone starts a petition please let me know and i will pass it around at the matches i attend. I dont use a lens but i feel there are alot of shooters who need them to continue shooting.
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

44 mag wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:44 am I for one am not in favor of a scope class. But with that being said i would support a petition for a non magnified lens in the rear site. If someone starts a petition please let me know and i will pass it around at the matches i attend. I dont use a lens but i feel there are alot of shooters who need them to continue shooting.
All lenses are magnified. That is how they help someone far sighted see the front sight.
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

I'm curious to the revolution of a scope class by some.
If someone went thru the process to petition the silhouette committee for the addition of a scope class, and if the silhouette committee approved it then it would be a simple matter of choosing to shoot in it or not.. We make the decision all the time in BPCR and 22 BPCR.