Accuracy at 100 yards

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Accuracy at 100 yards

Post by Ken Green »

Has anyone tried shooting their open class silhouette air rifle at 90 or 100 yards for accuracy?

Do you think your open class silhouette air rifle is accurate enough to hit the air rifle 1/10th scale rams at 90 yards? Thanks Ken
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Accuracy at 100 yards

Post by acorneau »

I've shot my TX200 at smallbore Pigs (65.6 yards) in the past with decent success so I would imagine a 1,000 FPS rifle would do OK at 90 yards, especially from a bench. Better make sure it's a non-windy day though.

Also, if you do connect you may ring a Ram or two since that little pellet won't have much energy once it gets out there.
Allen Corneau
richard
A Poster
A Poster

Post by richard »

Lots of people shoot airguns at 100 yards and beyond however they are generally not guns used in silhouette, field target, and of course not 10 meter shooting. There are lots of airgun guys that are high power enthusiasts let us say. They hunt and shoot larger calibers at longer ranges. I am not opposed to them doing what they want BUT I am certainly not an advocate of the higher power stuff. There is a 20 foot pound power limit in field target and in silhouette anything that damages targets is not permitted so that pretty much limits using the normal silhouette equipment at longer ranges. Possible of course but results tend to be less than stellar.

We have a dedicated airgun range at our club however the rules limit it to .22 cal and smaller. We have been challenged by members who do not compete but do hunt. I didn't make the rule but the answer is an easy one. When higher power airguns come into play ALL the advantages of airguns go away. Certainly low power and limited range go away. The targets we have won't handle the power and will be destroyed. The biggest issue is that when you make airguns more powerful the range must be built to safely handle them, much like a firearms range. This would entail earthen backstops, baffling, and eyebrows to keep all projectiles safely within the range and club property. The argument is also made that airguns are quiet. While that is true, anywhere a higher power airgun is used in the field, say for hunting, the same increased real estate is needed for safety and then the low noise is no real advantage. This is not a big issue at our club because the high power airgun guys can use the other ranges.

Again, I am not opposed to the higher power stuff but people must realize what comes along with that. We simply could not have a dedicated airgun range or a field target course. I move to powder burners when I need longer range and higher power.

Sorry for the length but this is something we are having to deal with more and more.
Rick Bassett
Richard
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

Rick: I think you missed the point of my post. I was not talking about big bore airguns at all.

Well I know of a couple of older silhouette shooters who are now not being able to hold well enough off hand to be competitive in silhouette, but they want to keep shooting. I am thinking about putting the air rifle silhouette animals at twice the distance and shooting from the bench. The chicken at 40 yards, pig at 60 yards, turkey at 72 yards and the rams at 90 yards. I am talking about taking our .177 caliber open class silhouette air rifle and trying to hit the 1/10th scale air rifle rams at 90 yards.

I would like to know if anyone has taken their .177 caliber 20 foot pound open class silhouette air rifle and shot for groups at 90 or 100 yards? Ken
GSL
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GSL »

HI KEN ,

Since RIDGWAY has 1000 yd VARMINT BENCH silhouette ...
I think that your prompt is a great call !
I have extensively shot my 10 meter target air rifles at 40 meters ...
10 shot , DEAD calm ... the best I have gotten off of a great bench setup IS 1/2 inch ...
I know that serious open class air rifles off a bench can cut 3/8 inch at 50 yds !
I have NOT tried 100 yds !
LETS find out ???
I would expect that to be by a factor of 4 times !
MAYBE 2 inches ???

GSL .
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

I will have to wait until my next smallbore match on the 4th Saturday of June, so I can get setup on a solid concrete bench. I will try my RAW in .177 caliber with the 10.3 grain pellets at 90 yards and see what I can do.
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by kevinbear »

On a calm day I can hit pigs most of the time at 100yards with my rws 54 airking, chickens about half the time with Crosman premiers, an old lot, the new ones suck. That's off a portable bench, only shot rams once before realizing the gun was accurate enough to hit them everytime. It will also topple a smallbore chicken at that distance, power+accuracy , to bad it weighs 11.25 pounds.
Never had a single break barrel or C02 gun that would do that, I'm sure the really high end pcp guns are accurate enough to shoot moa or people say they are anyway. I've tried shooting farther than that but elevation becomes an issue without a special base.
btw mine is a .177, it chronographs right at 1004 with almost no variation.
AAA Shooter politically incorrect and loving it
Longbow
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Longbow »

I set up one of my FWB 300S for shooting 22 silhouettes at 100 Meters just to test it. I really had to angle the scope base to get for trajectory but once I did had no trouble hitting Rams AND knocking them over. The 300S being about the most accurate Springer out there. You could see the pellet arcing down to the Ram,pretty funny.