Best Starting Rifle for Hunter Class

This is what we do.
genphideaux
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by genphideaux »

BlauBear,

The only drawback to the silhouette CZ is that it has only one action screw and a barrel screw, this has caused some inaccurracy when action is removed and reistalled. I will agree the stock is more suited to offhand, I believe the two action screws of the american out weight the stock design of the silhouette.

Your suggestion on scope power and a weaver V16 or as Jason recommended a bushnell 4200 is right on the mark, this was an oversight on my part in my initial post. I tend to forget that I too shoot a veriable scope.

As stated before just my .02 cents
Last edited by genphideaux on Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We have but one life to live, live it like you stole it, live it right up to the hilt.

God Bless the USA

Dawg
chardonnay
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chardonnay »

Just my 2 cents worth here. I have a CZ452 silhouette with a Simmons scope. I use eley silhouex ammo and the rifle loves it. I have used some of the sk as well with good results. For my rifle the silhouex is a good match with very consistent and tight groups. We just got a 452 american with a weaver v16 for my son who is getting started in the sport. Haven't had it long enough to play with it and see what it can really do yet but then again we just got it friday. I am sure he will be giving me a run for my money before long. We shoot ours for both hunter and standard, makes for much more shooting fun. ENJOY
kevinpagano
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kevinpagano »

Ditto on what everyone is saying. My wife and son both shoot Americans and doing pretty well to at it.

Kevin
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

genphideaux, point taken on the action screws. From my limited knowledge, placing a lug and screw in the barrel does seem like an odd choice for a target rifle. Some folks report good results from pillar bedding the rear screw, floating the barrel and leaving the barrel screw out, but I haven't tried this yet and can't vouch for it.

Having owned both, I prefer the Silhouette because that out-of-the box experience was much better than the American. This could have easily been the normal variance between CZ's, and the things I'm calling features on the Silhouette are really just peculiar to my sample.
genphideaux
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by genphideaux »

sshooter,

I think BlauBear has a point and if you can you should try both stocks out to see which you like the fit of.

BlauBear,

Have read somewhere that you can drill and tap the rear of the silhouette reciever for a second action screw. But then again, if it ain't broke, buy more ammo and practice.
We have but one life to live, live it like you stole it, live it right up to the hilt.

God Bless the USA

Dawg
iceman
B Poster
B Poster

Post by iceman »

I have 4 cz 452 rifles; 3 varmits, 1 american. The varmits with the barrel lug shoot to the same zero after being out of the stock as they did before I took the action out of the stock. The barrel lug acts as an action screw that is pillar bedded, provided that you free float the barrel itself. I have had no problems with mine. This lug makes the action think that it only has 14 inches of barrel in front of the action and improves harmonics. The rest of you shooters may not have been this lucky to get 4 good shooting CZ's. As for the american, it has a lighter barrel and does not have enough metal for this lug, so they added another action screw. I can't tell the difference in groups between the 2 configurations.
Jetmugg
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Don't overlook the Varmint.

Post by Jetmugg »

Don't overlook the CZ 452 Varmint model. With it's heavier barrell, it may feel better in your hands and hold steadier. If you can find several different models to handle (American, Silhouette, Varmint, Lux, etc.), you can pick one that feels best to you.

SteveM.
Jetmugg
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

CZ 452 American 22lr for sale.

Post by Jetmugg »

I posted a "heads up" on a 452 American for sale that I failed to notice was a 17HMR.

Now there is a 22lr American for sale on RFC for $285. That is a good price if you can get the FFL cost and shipping to work out.

here's the link...

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/sh ... p?t=148396

SteveM.
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

I had a 452 Silhouette for hunter silhouette and sold it bcse it was too light. I now shoot a Varmint model in hunter class, but I'm not happy with the stock.

Maybe I should sell everything i have and get a 1712? LOL!
- Joe
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

You can just remodel your Varmint's stock like I did... 8)

edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Sweeeet!

Post by edgehit »

I think that's the way to go. It would take a lot less $$, maybe less time too.

For what its worth, the silhouette model was most accurate out of the box.

I had to pillar bed the Varmint and get rid of the barrel lug. It shoots very accurately now.
- Joe
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Yep. My Varmint shot ok when I got it, but nothing to smile all that big about. Once I sanded out the right side of the barrel channel to float the barrel, bedded the action, and threw away that barrel lug, though, it suddenly started making me grin regularly. :)
durant7
A Poster
A Poster

Post by durant7 »

I thought the varmint barrel was not legal for hunter? Guess I have been away for too long and already forgotten everything...but I thought bull and varmint barrels would be DQ'd for hunter.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

The barrel on the CZ 452 Varmint isn't really a varmint barrel in the definition of the rules. It's tapered and is actually smaller in diameter than a lot of the custom barrels in use in hunter class.
jwilli
Unclassified Poster

Post by jwilli »

I purchased a CZ 452 Silhouette with synthetic stock last year. Had it bedded and a Brownell trigger installed. I'm using the Weaver T-24 with 'half minute dot. The rifle shoots minute of angle and likes PMC Scormaster best. I shoot it in both Hunter and Standard Rifle class.

I spent 6 months talking to small bore shooters before I purchased this one. The line seemed to be that to get a better shooter out of the box, ( with the changes noted above. ) I'd have to go to an Anschutz.

As far as a starter scope the Bushnell 4200 Elite 6 X 24 - 40 with a dot reticle is a great starter. You can start low and work your way up to whatever power you can hold without spending upgrade $$ as your hold improves. In this case the 'scope will cost more than the rifle but the results will be worth it. Whatever glass you buy don't stint. You'll only be disappointed and spend the $$ later on anyway.