Question...

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
CZforlife
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Question...

Post by CZforlife »

As long as it wouldnt damage the targets it would be ok with me.
Baby Huey
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

CZforlife wrote:Bob do you think 930fps is to much for air rifle silhouette?
You shouldn't have a problem there. My match rifle is around 500FPS and my Styer AZ is just under 900FPS not sure on my AA400 or the TX.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
CZforlife
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by CZforlife »

Have you seen or shot one, or heard anything good or bad about the Air Arms TX200 MkIII? I know its a springer andI like the idea of a pcp but then when you incorporate all the extras you have to buy to get shooting on an everyday basis It just seem to be a little to much cost wise for me right now. I do understand though, ounce you buy all your supplies the cost of shooting is practically pennies. :-\
Baby Huey
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

CZforlife wrote:Have you seen or shot one, or heard anything good or bad about the Air Arms TX200 MkIII? I know its a springer andI like the idea of a pcp but then when you incorporate all the extras you have to buy to get shooting on an everyday basis It just seem to be a little to much cost wise for me right now. I do understand though, ounce you buy all your supplies the cost of shooting is practically pennies. :-\
I have a TX 200. All AirArms rifles are very good and very accurate. You can not go wrong starting out with a AA TX200. However, once you go to the 'Dark Side' (PCP) it's a whole new world, but it is pricey to get into right off the bat. I started with the TX and worked up to my PCP's over time. You would not go wrong starting with a TX200.

Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

Huey I have both the S400 and a Paul Watts tuned TX200. Shooting the TX is a whole nother animal compared to a PCP even a really well tuned one. Yet if you can tame the savage beast that is a springer air rifle it is a very useful training tool. It is the only springer I own and considered the Cadilac of spring guns. BUT you have to cock it and that presents its own set of issues when shooting over a longer period of time. I know you a big guy but at 6'4" 225 lbs myself I can say it takes some energy to do repeatedly.

Now as for your 930 fps question. Very few airguns have I ever heard about in .177 shoot very well at that speed without A LOT of customization and even then the pellet is the limiting factor as the skirt on the pellet can cause corkscrewing when pushed to fast and be spun to fast. Forget anything you read about 1200 fps etc its all marketing BS and I guarantee my rifles shooting around 875 will defeat them in accuracy time after time. This issue has been tried and tested for a long time and what most people finally understand is that you want to stay at a max of around 900 fps. With the S400 I have if you dial the power up to much to say 925-950 fps it starts to open up the groups at longer distances with the corkscrewing effect. Dial it back to 875ish and it drills one ragged hole. Plus you get more shots. Pellet guns even use the ability to fine tune the fps to match the pellets that is how crucial the two are related to one another even on Olympic 10m rifles only shooting inside at around 575-600 fps. There is nothing more accurate or they would be doing it. On the S400 you can even dial the power back to around 625 fps, shoot lighter 8.4gr pellets like you would in a TX200 instead of 10.6gr and get around 80 or so consistent shots instead of a good 40 or so at the higher power setting. I only dialed it all the way back once to test the velocity over a chrony so it may even get 100 shots a fill on low not sure. I know I stopped shooting around 75 and it had air in it still.

As for air don't you live in Florida? I thought you have scuba tanks laying around on the side of the road like beer cans down there :lol: You are in prime spot to go PCP with cheap easy refills if thats what you decide. Probably only cost you $150 for a fill setup. If you plan to shoot a lot forget a hand pump unless you buy a high dollar 10m PCP rilfe you will be pumping your ass off. lol

As for the rifle I was going to sell it for around $650 or so shipped in a hard case with a Accushot 30mm tube 8-32x -56mm mil dot side focus scope with IR. The scope came with the Walther I just bought and would be perfect for FT but not so much silhouette. If I sold the rifle alone I'd probably be looking for around $450. Not in a rush to sell at this very second but if something else comes up that tickles me it may need to go sooner than later :) And get used to having to sell one thing to get another especially if you ever get married =))

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
CZforlife
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by CZforlife »

Well Dee at $450, I'd have to take some serious consideration into it! If you could hold it for about a month so I could stash a little cash, I would love to buy it!
Baby Huey
ter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ter »

As far as the question of pellet speed, there is a general consensus that over 875FPS accuracy gets sketchy. Again that is a general rule of thumb and it applies to 177 or 22.

Shots per fill also dramatically decrease as a function of speed. I usually look near 750FPS to select a pellet. I have a gas Bauer compressor but I hate refilling the guns and tanks so I try to get the most shots per fill. A 88 cu-ft 4500 psi tank will give you 30/40 or so fills depending on the rifle. My Anschutz 9003 gets 300 shots per fill at 580 fps, and my AA400 gets 50 shots at 875FPS (in 22 cal). I just ordered an Airwolf MCT and it gets 300 shots at 820 FPS according to the spec sheet. I think PCP is the only way to go, but it does have it's costs. A hand pump is OK for something like a Anschutz 2002/8002/9003, but it gets old quick in a AA400. A 88 cu ft tank is about 700 bucks, and about 20 to fill. All of that may sound expensive, but it is a ton cheaper than wolf 22s. If you get a AA 400 get a HPA tank.
CZforlife
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by CZforlife »

What size HPA tank, and Im feeling sick to my stomach right now :ymsick: because I just sold a carlson 4500psi 68cu, when I was getting rid of all my paintball gear.
Baby Huey
CZforlife
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by CZforlife »

I know I live in the scuba capital of the world, but me still being in my youth I think a pump would just be more conveinent. Would this pump work for your gun Dee when I decided to purchase it?

http://www.topairgun.com/product/PY-A-2762

Also, do you know of any cheaper ones that would work ok?
Baby Huey
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

CZforlife wrote:I know I live in the scuba capital of the world, but me still being in my youth I think a pump would just be more conveinent. Would this pump work for your gun Dee when I decided to purchase it?

http://www.topairgun.com/product/PY-A-2762

Also, do you know of any cheaper ones that would work ok?
That would work. Look on Yellowgun forums and the other air rifle boards. You can usually pick one up real cheap there from someone who just got their tank.

PS that price Dee told you for the S400 is a steal...

CZforlife
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by CZforlife »

Dee consider the gun sold! Just in about 1month! But I probably will be able to pay you sooner for it. Like about two weeks, would that work?
Baby Huey
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

Ok Huey I will consider it sold as of now I will ship it out in a hard case for $450 TYD and I will even include the fill adapter =)) . I am assuming you don't want the scope and I wouldn't suggest it for you anyway. I'll just post the scope on the airgun forums and someone will snatch it up. Just so you know it is the bolt version not the side lever doesn't mean beans either way to me as you are still not cocking it :) and it is in a beech stock. Overall I would put it at 95% wood and metal with just a couple handling marks in the stock at the butt as happens. The bluing is still near perfect as well. Needless to say I have maintained it well. Let me know if you want to see a pic.

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
CZforlife
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by CZforlife »

Mine aswell, even though I think I have seen it already on an airgun site. The main selling factor was being able to go from high power for rodents and low power for target. Also, the two stage should help to simulate my 1712's trigger. Send the pics to patevapat@aol.com
Baby Huey
CZforlife
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by CZforlife »

PM me your full name and address that way Ill know where to send the money order.
Baby Huey
hambone49
AAA Poster
AAA Poster
Location: In memory of Tbone, I moved into his house in Hollywood, Florida

Post by hambone49 »

Govern yourself accordingly Dee. Huey still owes me $3200 for shooting lessons and fashion advice.